Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

DIY Tarp and CF Bags

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DIY Tarp and CF Bags

Plan; Cut 7 yards fabric in half and sew the two halves together using a flat fell seam, sewing in two mitten hooks on the inside and three D rings on the outside.

Here is my flat felled seam...it's supposed to be flat and isn't and I'm frustrated. Should I leave it as is or sew it flat?

Next is one of the D rings on the top, its crooked and that bugs me. This is on the outer center of tarp. Not 100% necessary (from what I read) but nice to have. Do these need to be reinforced on the inside? If so, how?

I'm a little frustrated.
      Images
      • IMG_6160.JPG

111.58 kB, 800×600, viewed 436 times
      • IMG_6161.JPG

37.23 kB, 450×600, viewed 551 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Plan; Cut 7 yards fabric in half and sew the two halves together using a flat fell seam, sewing in two mitten hooks on the inside and three D rings on the outside.

Here is my flat felled seam...it's supposed to be flat and isn't and I'm frustrated. Should I leave it as is or sew it flat?

Next is one of the D rings on the top, its crooked and that bugs me. This is on the outer center of tarp. Not 100% necessary (from what I read) but nice to have. Do these need to be reinforced on the inside? If so, how?

I'm a little frustrated.
      You need to fold that seam over and stitch it flat.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Ok, I'll do it. Thanks!

Next step is to hem the perimeter. My plan is to have all my reinforcement cut-outs pinned in place and heming them along with the edge. Then the line locs and D rings are sewn on afterwards.

Is that correct?

Turns out I only have 6 line locs so I'm putting one in each corner, one in the center edge, another in the corresponding center edge.

There will be four D rings on each side for a total of 22 tie outs plus the three on top = 25. It sounds like too many.

What do y'all think?
    • fold that seam flat over to the left in the picture and stitch near the edge. When you've finished the whole thing, set it up on a nice day, say 50 degrees or warmer and seam seal it. I just squirt some 100% clear silcone caulk in an old glass and then add a little mineral spirits to it and stir. Keep adding mineral spirits until it has the consistency of paint and then take a small paint brush and paint it on your seam, working it into the edge of the seam and covering all the threads. No need to seal the edge seam. If the sealer thickens on you, just re-temper it by adding a little more mineral spirits. Leave the tarp set up over night to allow it dry good. It still may stick together when you pack it, if it does you can sprinkle some talcum powder on it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'm a little frustrated.
      Have a glass of wine.

WanderingStovie wrote:

I taped some seams when I was in NH. They are still holding. I used two kinds of tape, but don't remember the brands. N/A's solution sounds cheaper and lighter.
      His method works well.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm a little frustrated.
      Have a glass of wine.

WanderingStovie wrote:

I taped some seams when I was in NH. They are still holding. I used two kinds of tape, but don't remember the brands. N/A's solution sounds cheaper and lighter.
      His method works well.
      NA's method is about all that works for silnylon. The tent I taped was not silnylon.
    • I'm rethinking starting over, don't want to do all that pinning again when I still have to pin the perimeter. Maybe I'll take out the seam around the d rings and either fix them or remove them.

I've decided to only put 3 tie outs on each edge.

It's the big projects that frustrate me...too big to spread out...trying to get all that material through the machine while keeping everything straight...pinning, pinning, and more pinning. It takes the right frame of mind.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'm rethinking starting over, don't want to do all that pinning again when I still have to pin the perimeter. Maybe I'll take out the seam around the d rings and either fix them or remove them.

I've decided to only put 3 tie outs on each edge.

It's the big projects that frustrate me...too big to spread out...trying to get all that material through the machine while keeping everything straight...pinning, pinning, and more pinning. It takes the right frame of mind.
      I've used those black office clips to hold fabric together that had been rolled up. The rolled up portion is the past not being sewn and needs to be kept out of the way.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I would just sew little loops of 1/2" grossgrain to the underside (tarp inside) after the ridge seam is finished. Make them about 2-1/2" or so long so that 1/2" gets sewn to the ridge seam and 2" is left hanging down. Then you tie whatever you want to the loop.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I've decided to take it apart and start over, omitting the D rings and mitten hooks. I forgot to keep it simple stupid.
      My stitch pulling skills exceed my sewing skills.......practice makes perfect!
      same here. I wore out a seam ripper last year.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

I would just sew little loops of 1/2" grossgrain to the underside (tarp inside) after the ridge seam is finished. Make them about 2-1/2" or so long so that 1/2" gets sewn to the ridge seam and 2" is left hanging down. Then you tie whatever you want to the loop.
      This may be a stupid question but how the heck do you sew something into the seam (and hanging down from it) when you roll the hem up several times? I had to cut a clit next to the mitten hook so I could roll the seam up.
    • I was saying that you don't have to have the ends of the ribbon wrapped up in the seam. Just finish the seam and sew them on the surface. They're not going to be subject to that much stress. I alwsys have a piece of elastic cord from my net tent or bivy to the ridge loop so that it stretches rather than pull hard on the ridge. I hope that makes sense.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

I would just sew little loops of 1/2" grossgrain to the underside (tarp inside) after the ridge seam is finished. Make them about 2-1/2" or so long so that 1/2" gets sewn to the ridge seam and 2" is left hanging down. Then you tie whatever you want to the loop.
      This may be a stupid question but how the heck do you sew something into the seam (and hanging down from it) when you roll the hem up several times? I had to cut a clit next to the mitten hook so I could roll the seam up.
      Female genital mutilation is not the answer.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Cof124 I didn't even catch that until you said something
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's mind goes off on a tangent.
    • LIhikers wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Damn. I've gotta proofread better.
    • NoAngel wrote:

I was saying that you don't have to have the ends of the ribbon wrapped up in the seam. Just finish the seam and sew them on the surface. They're not going to be subject to that much stress. I alwsys have a piece of elastic cord from my net tent or bivy to the ridge loop so that it stretches rather than pull hard on the ridge. I hope that makes sense.
      Gotcha. I was so tired last night, nothing was registering. Haven't been sleeping good but woke up feeling great and ready to tackle the tarp after a run to joanns for more thread.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

And deprive us of such gems?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

:thumbsup:
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

I had a good one not too long ago but Stovie alerted me...hopefully no one saw it.
    • Fixed the ridgeline, it's much better. Had to take out one of the mitten hooks and sew it on the outside because the fabric was too bunched. It's a little bunched around the other mitten hook too so will probably take it out also.

Finished one corner tie out. Had to do it twice, sewed the line loc upside down the first time.
      Images
      • IMG_6163.JPG

87.3 kB, 450×600, viewed 258 times
    • My corner, edge, and center edge.

Decided to put two D rings along one side. So that side has a line loc in each corner, a center edge line loc, and two D rings evenly spaced between the corner and center (one on each side of center).

The opposite side will a line loc in each corner and one in the center and no extra D rings.

The other two sides will only have the corner line locs
      Images
      • IMG_6164.JPG

215.32 kB, 800×600, viewed 241 times
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

I had a good one not too long ago but Stovie alerted me...hopefully no one saw it.
      Keep 'em coming. :evil:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Fixed the ridgeline, it's much better. Had to take out one of the mitten hooks and sew it on the outside because the fabric was too bunched. It's a little bunched around the other mitten hook too so will probably take it out also.

Finished one corner tie out. Had to do it twice, sewed the line loc upside down the first time.
      I've made three tarps....always had one lineloc upside down, didn't bother to redo them....I'll just consider it my signature mark.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.