Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Neels Gap to NOC

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Neels Gap to NOC

Hi,

I played around with the guide book and noticed that the section from Neels Gap to the NOC has 3 resupply points (Helen, Hiawassee, Franklin). Maybe 4 but Bryson looks like a difficult hitch.

Was thinking about starting from Springer Mt with 4 days, making it to Neels in 3 (low miles to make sure ankles are comfortable :)) and picking up a mail drop with 4-5 days there.
      From Neels it's some 100 miles to the NOC. That seems possible in 6 days? At the NOC I would get two days to make it to Fontana Village.

If anything goes wrong I could still hitch to Franklin and get resupplies there.

What's your opinion? Better to resupply in Hiawassee then schlepp around 6 days of food?
    • Neels Gap to NOC

GoodGerman wrote:

Hi,

I played around with the guide book and noticed that the section from Neels Gap to the NOC has 3 resupply points (Helen, Hiawassee, Franklin). Maybe 4 but Bryson looks like a difficult hitch.

Was thinking about starting from Springer Mt with 4 days, making it to Neels in 3 (low miles to make sure ankles are comfortable :)) and picking up a mail drop with 4-5 days there.
      From Neels it's some 100 miles to the NOC. That seems possible in 6 days? At the NOC I would get two days to make it to Fontana Village.

If anything goes wrong I could still hitch to Franklin and get resupplies there.

What's your opinion? Better to resupply in Hiawassee then schlepp around 6 days of food?

Hiawassee has a very nice grocery store for resupply. The Blueberry Patch Hostel was a great place to stay. The hostel owner, Gary, will make a run into Hiawassee each day and then take you back to the trail the next morning.