Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Gossamer Gear Murmur

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rasty wrote:

Gossamer Gear has a updated Murmur. I just ordered one on my drive to get my three season pack weight down. The ULA Circuit is too large for my summer time hiking.

gossamergear.com/murmur-hyperlight-backpack.html

I'll do a review when it comes in.
      Interested in the comfort level of your pack. I've tuned my summer gear so that everything except tent poles can fit inside the pack or the exterior zippered pocket for a 4 day/3nighter. The comfort level from the air frame is high. Klymit 35. But, it is still a bit heavy at 1.5 pounds...the price was right though...60 bucks brand new at STP last year...
    • I went on a quick 38 miles hike with my new pack. First evening did 7 miles and stopped about 30 minutes after dark. I would have went further but there was a 2 mile road walk and then a stealth hike through a hunting club before I got back to the off trail. I thought it would be better to do this in the early morning. The next day I did 28 miles from 6am to 4pm with a 4 mile road walk in the middle. Stayed on little long mountain and the third day hiked 5 miles back to the car.

The pack carries light loads very well. The pack is supper simple. The closed cell foam sit pad acts as a light frame. You can also use your own sleeping pad in the packs pad pocket instead. Unlike the ULA circuit I can take out a water bottle and put it back in the side pockets while wearing the pack. The shoulder straps are not padded bit were very comfortable. The small waist belt pockets were adequate for keeping a headlamp, aqua mira, chapstick, tiny towel and a snickers bar. The mesh pocket is very big. On the back of the pack is a trekking pole holder that has clips specifically designed to hold the tips of trekking poles.

I highly recommend this pack for super lightweight hiking. This would be a terrible pack for more than 22-1/2 pounds.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

I went on a quick 38 miles hike with my new pack. First evening did 7 miles and stopped about 30 minutes after dark. I would have went further but there was a 2 mile road walk and then a stealth hike through a hunting club before I got back to the off trail. I thought it would be better to do this in the early morning. The next day I did 28 miles from 6am to 4pm with a 4 mile road walk in the middle. Stayed on little long mountain and the third day hiked 5 miles back to the car.

The pack carries light loads very well. The pack is supper simple. The closed cell foam sit pad acts as a light frame. You can also use your own sleeping pad in the packs pad pocket instead. Unlike the ULA circuit I can take out a water bottle and put it back in the side pockets while wearing the pack. The shoulder straps are not padded bit were very comfortable. The small waist belt pockets were adequate for keeping a headlamp, aqua mira, chapstick, tiny towel and a snickers bar. The mesh pocket is very big. On the back of the pack is a trekking pole holder that has clips specifically designed to hold the tips of trekking poles.

I highly recommend this pack for super lightweight hiking. This would be a terrible pack for more than 22-1/2 pounds.
      good name for a cookbook

Or where you preparing to eat your pack?
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I went on a quick 38 miles hike with my new pack. First evening did 7 miles and stopped about 30 minutes after dark. I would have went further but there was a 2 mile road walk and then a stealth hike through a hunting club before I got back to the off trail. I thought it would be better to do this in the early morning. The next day I did 28 miles from 6am to 4pm with a 4 mile road walk in the middle. Stayed on little long mountain and the third day hiked 5 miles back to the car.

good name for a cookbook
      Or where you preparing to eat your pack?
      Anything can be eaten if cooked properly
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

good name for a cookbookOr where you preparing to eat your pack?
      obvi you never tasted my wife's cookin'
    • Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I'm tough and gamey, but go ahead and roast me.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tough and gamey needs a moist cooking method instead of your suggestion of roasting which is dry heat.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tough and gamey needs a moist cooking method instead of your suggestion of roasting which is dry heat.
      Sorry. I was thinking of a pot roast. Nevertheless, roasting might be good for nuts like me.