Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Runner's foot impaled by nail purposely placed on trail, 40 total found in park

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Runner's foot impaled by nail purposely placed on trail, 40 total found in park

SYLVA, N.C. — The 1,100-acre Pinnacle Park west of Asheville remains closed after a runner's foot was impaled by a nail purposely placed on a popular trail that leads to the Black Rock Summit.

Brian Barwatt, an engineer with the Department of Transportation, and the race director of the Assault on Black Rock, a trail race in Pinnacle Park in March, was at the park Monday with the Sylva police chief Davis Woodard, town maintenance workers and other volunteers scouting out more nails.

Since Saturday, 40 nails hammered into tree roots and logs have been found, Barwatt said.

“On Saturday we found eight in an isolated area and thought we had it contained, but when we explored more, we found it was more than we could handle ourselves and I called the police chief,” Barwatt said.

“We’re literally blowing every leaf off trail, and following behind with metal detectors. “It was a deliberate effort. Someone hammered 4-inch long galvanized nails and left them sticking out a half- to 1 inch, and at an angle so they’re like spikes.”

One person was hurt and another stepped on a nail that went through his shoe but didn’t hurt his foot.

“It’s hard to believe someone would do this and put a lot of effort in to doing this,” Barwatt said.

The East Fork and West Fork trails, each 3.5 miles long, lead to the Black Rock summit on a mixed gravel road and single track terrain, completely surrounded by woods in a remote area of town.

“We want to assure people we’re taking this very seriously and taking care of it swiftly,” he said.

There is a $1,000 reward leading to information about the case. Anyone with information is asked to call the Sylva Police Department at 828-586-2916.

11alive.com/news/runners-foot-…l-found-in-park/410927207

[IMG:http://www.11alive.com/img/resize/content.11alive.com/photo/2017/02/21/download%20_OP_5_CP__1487696052634_8578092_ver1.0.jpg?preset=534-401]
      2,000 miler
    • I worked with a fella who kicked a wooden fire works rack apart after the show, a rusty nail went through his sneaker and stuck him in the foot straight to the bone. Because it went into the bone the doctors said that's what prolly made him so sick, he was on drip antibiotics for three months at home, couldn't work...it was a pretty bad time for him.
    • meat wrote:

I worked with a fella who kicked a wooden fire works rack apart after the show, a rusty nail went through his sneaker and stuck him in the foot straight to the bone. Because it went into the bone the doctors said that's what prolly made him so sick, he was on drip antibiotics for three months at home, couldn't work...it was a pretty bad time for him.
      One of my buddies had a similar experience while working construction. He lost a toe. However he used the time off and the worker's comp to return to school. He's now a CPA.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • yikes! Well, here's what should be done with one of those spikes.....it involves where to place it in the persons male-parts....very slowly inserted....very.....slowly.....and then left there....oh....an hour.....
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Rasty wrote:

Hate to say but it's probably some wacho environmentalist that thinks we are killing nature by over using it.
      I do orienteering....we use some local city parks. One of them, some people got a bit upset when we had 300-400 people using the park....and...HORRORS! We were NOT on the nice concrete pathways with the strollers! After a few years, some real pressure got put on the city to NOT approve our use at that park. We have lots of other parks, state parks even, who LOVE us using the place....shoot...we pick up trash out in the forest! Anyway, we got dis-invited from using that park. The off-road bikes also got told to leave. It was, sadly, funny. If any of those people would get off the pavement, down in the ravens and such was all SORTS of old man-made trash....from when it was black-land prairie farms. but having people off the concrete!!! OMG!!! :S
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Hate to say but it's probably some wacho environmentalist that thinks we are killing nature by over using it.
      I do orienteering....we use some local city parks. One of them, some people got a bit upset when we had 300-400 people using the park....and...HORRORS! We were NOT on the nice concrete pathways with the strollers! After a few years, some real pressure got put on the city to NOT approve our use at that park. We have lots of other parks, state parks even, who LOVE us using the place....shoot...we pick up trash out in the forest! Anyway, we got dis-invited from using that park. The off-road bikes also got told to leave. It was, sadly, funny. If any of those people would get off the pavement, down in the ravens and such was all SORTS of old man-made trash....from when it was black-land prairie farms. but having people off the concrete!!! OMG!!! :S
      If you leave the concrete your trail runners could get dirty.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Rasty wrote:

If you leave the concrete your trail runners could get dirty.
      I'd never go off the walk without trail runners, might get into a puddle and have to do some 4-wheelin'
    • Dan76 wrote:

meat wrote:

I worked with a fella who kicked a wooden fire works rack apart after the show, a rusty nail went through his sneaker and stuck him in the foot straight to the bone. Because it went into the bone the doctors said that's what prolly made him so sick, he was on drip antibiotics for three months at home, couldn't work...it was a pretty bad time for him.
      One of my buddies had a similar experience while working construction. He lost a toe. However he used the time off and the worker's comp to return to school. He's now a CPA.
      That is a good example of making lemonade out of the lemons life dealt you. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I'll add another $1000 to the reward kitty as long as I get to choose and administer the punishment once the SOB is caught. And tried & found guilty. Or not. Hell, if they catch someone who even looks like a root nailer, I'll light the torches and hand out the pitchforks.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • rhjanes wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Unfortunately a common attitude towards folks with a different stroke. While I assist in building and maintaining local trails, I'm sometimes chastised by fellow maintainers when I appear at a work site via cross country using a map and compass (usually prior to dawn) rather than using the trail.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • meat wrote:

Peakbagger on WB linked this disturbing post today, I'd never heard this before, that area needs a big clean up...across the board!

whiteblaze.net/forum/showthrea…tep?p=2130327#post2130327

the then atc. gave no help. I cannot come up with any thing printable to say. As for the criminals. Put them in prison cells where they will become some guy's girlfriend.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • We had a scary hitch on 19 E this past October. A local in an pick up saw us hitching and came over and offered us ride. He had his 5 or 6 year old daughter with him and kept kicking the 4 barrel in all the way back to the hostel, I mean we were running about 80 up the mountain. Apparently his daughter was used to it, as she never looked up from the game she was playing on her phone. I had banjo music playing in my head.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

We had a scary hitch on 19 E this past October. A local in an pick up saw us hitching and came over and offered us ride. He had his 5 or 6 year old daughter with him and kept kicking the 4 barrel in all the way back to the hostel, I mean we were running about 80 up the mountain. Apparently his daughter was used to it, as she never looked up from the game she was playing on her phone. I had banjo music playing in my head.
      I just hitched in that area three weeks ago. Got picked up by a guy in a mid 70's Chevy truck. He talked a lot.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

We had a scary hitch on 19 E this past October. A local in an pick up saw us hitching and came over and offered us ride. He had his 5 or 6 year old daughter with him and kept kicking the 4 barrel in all the way back to the hostel, I mean we were running about 80 up the mountain. Apparently his daughter was used to it, as she never looked up from the game she was playing on her phone. I had banjo music playing in my head.
      I just hitched in that area three weeks ago. Got picked up by a guy in a mid 70's Chevy truck. He talked a lot.
      19E? I've run the heck out of it on numerous motorcycles over the years. The issue is what, exactly?