Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Rapidan Camp SNP

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rapidan Camp SNP

I decided to take a short hike today on my first Friday off. I was going to hike up to The Priest & Spy Rock, but changed my mind and drove up to the Swift Run Gap entrance of the SNP. At the entrance I asked the ranger to make a recommendation. She asked if I had been to Camp Rapidan? Nope, but I'm game. Wow what a good choice. The SNP never ceases to amaze me with all of the great side trails. There must be hundreds of miles of them.
      This hike can be done multiple ways. Several possible loops and several out-n-backs. You can park at either Big Meadows or MilaM Gap. I parked at Milam and took the light blue blazed Mill Prong Trail to the yellow blazed Mill Prong trail. The trail follows the drainage down the mountain, about a 700 foot decent in 2 miles. Pretty gentle. The trail crosses the stream several times on the way to the camp. There are trout in the stream, but it is catch & release.
      Rapidan Camp was President Hoover's Camp David. The buildings, except for the vault toilet, were all locked up for the winter and I had the whole place to myself. It's like a little park with cobblestone lined gravel paths and multiple cabins. There is even a little stone and cement swimming pool fed by a stream. I believe it is actually mostly a museum now. I had lunch on the pathway steps to the Prime Minister Cabin. Lunch was Hungry Jack Hash Browns, which came with black pepper & cheese & onions, mixed with OvaEasy eggs and diced spam. It was yummy. Desert was a snickers and a snort of Maker's Mark.

Images
      • 20170217_121743_resized.jpg

188.59 kB, 800×480, viewed 388 times
      • 20170217_124215_resized.jpg

192.04 kB, 800×480, viewed 417 times
      • 20170217_130256_resized.jpg

223.34 kB, 800×480, viewed 389 times
      • 20170217_130320_resized.jpg

232.47 kB, 800×480, viewed 454 times
      • 20170217_130828_resized.jpg

173.32 kB, 800×480, viewed 322 times
      • 20170217_130853_resized.jpg

214.54 kB, 800×480, viewed 328 times
      • 20170217_130857_resized.jpg

156 kB, 800×480, viewed 402 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I read something that said it is several Dakota words made into one that means falling water...or something like that. Were there Dakota's in VA?
      I don't think so. Main tribes around here that come to mind are the Powhatan, Pamunkey, and Chicahominy. A lot of indian names. There is the Mattiponi river here which is the result of three rivers joining: the Matti, the Po and the Ni. All indian. The Mattiponi then joins the Pamunkey river at West Point.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I did a rookie move on my hike and did not check my kit and had no lighter. Used my swedish fire steel to light my alcohol stove. That was tricky. I was worried about knocking the stove over. So I set it on some stone steps and managed to flick some sparks thru the 1/4" holes in my cat can stove on about the tenth try. The picture below shows my new lighter with a small zip tie added as a safety which keeps it from losing gas accidently if the tab was pressed in my pack. The zip tie eassily pops on and off.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I read something that said it is several Dakota words made into one that means falling water...or something like that. Were there Dakota's in VA?
      I don't think so. Main tribes around here that come to mind are the Powhatan, Pamunkey, and Chicahominy. A lot of indian names. There is the Mattiponi river here which is the result of three rivers joining: the Matti, the Po and the Ni. All indian. The Mattiponi then joins the Pamunkey river at West Point.
      Two of my kids went to Massaponax HS. It amused me to pass over the Matta, the Po, and the Ni in succession.
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Two of my kids went to Massaponax HS. It amused me to pass over the Matta, the Po, and the Ni in succession.
      Yep. I know exactly where that is. I also spelled Mattaponi wrong, you have it right.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

Very cool. "Rapidan" is common in VA, any idea where it comes from? Isn't there a Rapidan river? And maybe a town?
      This cabin was one of Hoovers retreats, the headwaters of The Rapidan are right near the cabin., and this cabin is a short walk from Big Meadows. I came here one early March to rush my spring. I caught 3" red side darters and three and a half inch brookies. I packed up and head out of the park east, I got back on the Rapidan and headed upstream where I caught a half dozen 6" brookies.....okay......I headed home, stopped in Pa. and caught a few good brownies in a favorite stream, and headed home.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Yep. I know exactly where that is. I also spelled Mattaponi wrong, you have it right.
      I didn't know why it was called Mattaponi, thought that came first and the three rivers (streams where I lived), were named later.
      Lost in the right direction.