Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Netflix

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I thought I would start a new thread about what you are watching on Netflix.

Whether it is a movie, documentary, TV series, or made for Netflix, it might be something others here might be interested in.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • The Cuba Libre Story (8 episodes)

Good documentary about the history of Cuba. Having grown up in South Florida in the 60s and 70s around several who had escaped from Castro this topic has always had special meaning for me.

I really enjoyed it, but I believe it was driving my wife crazy.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• American Genius

I was very interested in the subject matter (8 episodes shown below). But unfortunately the more I knew about the subject the more I was disappointed. For example the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley is significantly better than Jobs vs. Gates. But still is interesting if you like this kind of stuff.

1.Jobs vs. Gates

2 Wright Brothers vs. Curtiss

3. Farnsworth vs. Sarnoff

4. Hearst vs. Pulitzer

5. Space Race

6. Colt vs. Wesson

7. Oppenheimer vs. Heisenberg

8. Edison vs. Tesla
    • Astro wrote:

American Genius

I was very interested in the subject matter (8 episodes shown below). But unfortunately the more I knew about the subject the more I was disappointed. For example the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley is significantly better than Jobs vs. Gates. But still is interesting if you like this kind of stuff.

1.Jobs vs. Gates

4. Hearst vs. Pulitzer

5. Space Race

6. Colt vs. Wesson

8. Edison vs. Tesla
      I'm pretty sure I've seen these, and found them pretty interesting.
    • Music documentaries

The best two for me were Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream and Blondie's New York. Strongly recommend both.

Tried watching one Levon Helm but just couldn't stick with it. Added a Glenn Campbell one to my List, but just have gotten around to the desire to actually watch it (so much for supporting AR musicians :) ).
    • Last Man Standing

Tim Allen is "Outdoor Man" living with 3 daughters and his wife. I like this a whole lot more than Home Improvement, but if you liked that show, you will see a lot of the cast hear as guess stars (some re-occurring). I really enjoy seeing a father "like me" on TV again. :thumbup:

This is one I am really enjoying now. I am watching Season 4 now (5th also available with 6th season currently on real TV). After 10 years (or more) without cable TV it is great actually having a fun series to watch. And with no commercials is a bonus. :thumbup:
    • "Marley"
      Documentary about Bob Marley, very good, best one I've ever seen, lots of footage/music and interviews. After hearing so many different stories on how he died...splinter infected foot from playing soccer barefoot, government killed him because he had a voice the people listen too. The doc says he died of cancer, pure and simple.

2hrs. 24min.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• meat wrote:

"Marley"
      Documentary about Bob Marley, very good, best one I've ever seen, lots of footage/music and interviews.

2hrs. 24min.
      I need to watch that one. I have always been a big Bob Marley fan. 8)

Went to Jamaica on my honeymoon. They lost my luggage so I bought some shorts and a a couple of Bob Marley tank tops to hold me over till they found it like 3 days later.
    • Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

"Marley"
      Documentary about Bob Marley, very good, best one I've ever seen, lots of footage/music and interviews.

2hrs. 24min.
      I need to watch that one. I have always been a big Bob Marley fan. 8)
      Went to Jamaica on my honeymoon. They lost my luggage so I bought some shorts and a a couple of Bob Marley tank tops to hold me over till they found it like 3 days later.
      Oh if you're a fan you'll love it then! It's good. I'm gonna watch it again! :D
    • My wife made me watch the OJ Simpson - American Crime Story. I did not want to watch this, but I have to admit it was fascinating and well acted. Worth Watching.

In the movie department, I recently saw for the first time 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' which really appealed to my melancholy nature. I really liked and identified with that movie. I avoided this movie all these years because I am not a fan of the Jim Carrey style of overacting, but he was spot on in this one.

My wife and I always try to see all the Academy Award Best Picture contenders before the awards. Not in the running, but maybe of interest to the 'self reliant lifestyle' crowd is 'Captain Fantastic' available from Netflix.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

My wife made me watch the OJ Simpson - American Crime Story. I did not want to watch this, but I have to admit it was fascinating and well acted. Worth Watching.

In the movie department, I recently saw for the first time 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' which really appealed to my melancholy nature. I really liked and identified with that movie. I avoided this movie all these years because I am not a fan of the Jim Carrey style of overacting, but he was spot on in this one.

My wife and I always try to see all the Academy Award Best Picture contenders before the awards. Not in the running, but maybe of interest to the 'self reliant lifestyle' crowd is 'Captain Fantastic' available from Netflix.
      I watched the apprentice for about 10 mins. Got bored and switched to a NOVA show on nuclear power plants, which was awesome and right up my wheel house.
    • Astro wrote:

The Cuba Libre Story (8 episodes)

Good documentary about the history of Cuba. Having grown up in South Florida in the 60s and 70s around several who had escaped from Castro this topic has always had special meaning for me.

I wouldn't mind going to Cuba for visit. I lived in south florida for a short time in 83 and got to know some Cubans. Great folks.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

I wouldn't mind going to Cuba for visit. I lived in south florida for a short time in 83 and got to know some Cubans. Great folks.
      I have an extended family member who is Cuban, and man can she cook! Great culture, to bad Castro was such an asshole.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

When you or an immediate family member makes those kind of sacrifices for freedom I believe it gives you better perspective on life.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

American Genius

1.Jobs vs. Gates
      4. Hearst vs. Pulitzer
      5. Space Race
      6. Colt vs. Wesson
      8. Edison vs. Tesla
      With your aviation background I would be interested on your take on the Wright Brothers vs. Curtiss. Due to Kitty Hawk and reading David McCullough's book I have always been a fan of the Wright Brothers, but found the information about Curtiss very interesting, and realize he might have been trying to push things forward for the betterment of everyone more.

Irony is the the companies ended up merging.
    • meat wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

My wife made me watch the OJ Simpson - American Crime Story. I did not want to watch this, but I have to admit it was fascinating and well acted. Worth Watching.

I watched the apprentice for about 10 mins. Got bored and switched to a NOVA show on nuclear power plants, which was awesome and right up my wheel house.
      more power to ya
    • meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

I have an extended family member who is Cuban, and man can she cook! Great culture, to bad Castro was such an asshole.
      I've gotten hooked on the Cuben coffee at Wawa. Good rich tasting stuff.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

American Genius

1.Jobs vs. Gates
      4. Hearst vs. Pulitzer
      5. Space Race
      6. Colt vs. Wesson
      8. Edison vs. Tesla
      With your aviation background I would be interested on your take on the Wright Brothers vs. Curtiss. Due to Kitty Hawk and reading David McCullough's book I have always been a fan of the Wright Brothers, but found the information about Curtiss very interesting, and realize he might have been trying to push things forward for the betterment of everyone more.
      Irony is the the companies ended up merging.
      I know Curtiss was a contemporary of the Wrights and I believe his airplane and engine designs were better than the wrights.
      But there were a lot of people experimenting with controlled, heavier than air flight at that time.
      Many people credit the German, Otto Lilienthal, with being the father of modern aviation and not the Wright brothers.
      The Wright brother's claim to fame was to be the first (maybe) to achieve powered flight but even then they didn't design or build the engine. That was done by a fellow by the name of Charles Taylor. He worked for the Wright brothers and ran their bicycle shop while they were off tinkering with aviation. Presently, the Fedeeral Aviation Agency has a master mechanic award named after Charles Taylor and May 24th, his birthday, is Aviation Maintenance Technician day.
    • the Wright brothers are remembered because they told the Smithsonian. that if they wanted their airplane for display the museum had to label it as the first heavier than air aircraft.

Note that Curtis was forbidden from telling Germany at a prewar air show how to make dive bombers. So he took his newest dive bomber over and showed them how it worked. A short time later they used their stuka dive bombers in the Spanish Civil War.

Lots of US companies sold things to the Axis before ww2. Never prosecuted that I know of.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

the Wright brothers are remembered because they told the Smithsonian. that if they wanted their airplane for display the museum had to label it as the first heavier than air aircraft.

Note that Curtis was forbidden from telling Germany at a prewar air show how to make dive bombers. So he took his newest dive bomber over and showed them how it worked. A short time later they used their stuka dive bombers in the Spanish Civil War.

Lots of US companies sold things to the Axis before ww2. Never prosecuted that I know of.
      you should stop making stuff up.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

When my wife goes to visit the kids in Tampa she always has to have the Cuban coffee...I didn't care for it myself.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • meat wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

When my dad got transferred.to Turkey in the early 1960s. I drank some Turkish. Coffee. Lots of sugar and lemon added in without being requested. Strong and incredibly sweet.
      I had a Turkish cigarette once, it like ya choke me!Green in the gills would be an understatement. <X
      I used to smoke those cigs with the Turkish tobacco- what were they called? They were right strong from remember.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

It must be strong if it is Cuben, but aren't there better ways to get fiber?
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

It must be strong if it is Cuben, but aren't there better ways to get fiber?
      I cut it with the decaf as am not supposed to have caffeine.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

When my dad got transferred.to Turkey in the early 1960s. I drank some Turkish. Coffee. Lots of sugar and lemon added in without being requested. Strong and incredibly sweet.
      I had a Turkish cigarette once, it like ya choke me!Green in the gills would be an understatement. <X
      I used to smoke those cigs with the Turkish tobacco- what were they called? They were right strong from remember.
      I have no idea, this girl that lived next door to us was into funky stuff like cloves cigarettes, tiger balm, and she dressed funny. :D
    • meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I have no idea, this girl that lived next door to us was into funky stuff like cloves cigarettes, tiger balm, and she dressed funny. :D
      used to get clove cigarettes in indonesia and along with indonesian women it was "any port in a storm" for us.
    • Watched 'Winter's Bone' (2010) with a young Jennifer Lawrence. A bleak but interesting look at a dark segment of Ozark hill culture. An excellent film.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

"Marley"

2hrs. 24min.
      I need to watch that one. I have always been a big Bob Marley fan. 8) Went to Jamaica on my honeymoon. They lost my luggage so I bought some shorts and a a couple of Bob Marley tank tops to hold me over till they found it like 3 days later.
      Oh if you're a fan you'll love it then! It's good. I'm gonna watch it again! :D
      Watched it and it was very good!

Only downside is that he didn't get/listen to medical advice. Still might be with us. Sometimes those who are very driven and successful don't pay enough attention to medical issues until it is too late (Steve Jobs is another example).

Back to the documentary, very good and recommend it. :thumbup: