Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

show us your DIY projects

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• show us your DIY projects

tauwillow wrote:

[IMG:http://www.studiotau.com/lj/interlochen1311.jpg]

I made an underquilt from JCP puffer jackets that we scored on clearance for $14 each. Its a crazy Frankenstein quilt, but I feel pretty good about it for a first attempt and it makes a nice summer option with the hammock.

I would LOVE some of the Tyvek RocksNSocks, if there is any left. I was getting ready to buy some for our upcoming trip. We need three pieces for the staging area under the hammocks.

I also recently got some neoprene that I will be making into cozies for our dehydrated food bags.

How many jackets did you use for the quilt?
      Lost in the right direction.

tauwillow wrote:

[IMG:http://www.studiotau.com/lj/interlochen1311.jpg]

I made an underquilt from JCP puffer jackets that we scored on clearance for $14 each. Its a crazy Frankenstein quilt, but I feel pretty good about it for a first attempt and it makes a nice summer option with the hammock.

I would LOVE some of the Tyvek RocksNSocks, if there is any left. I was getting ready to buy some for our upcoming trip. We need three pieces for the staging area under the hammocks.

I also recently got some neoprene that I will be making into cozies for our dehydrated food bags.
      Yes there is, shoot me your info in a PM and I'll get it out just as soon as I can. So that's three pieces 8' by 36" x three, do i have that right?

...And I'm afraid that might just clean me out folks, except for some smaller remnants layin around....should I get some more (and I'll be on the look out) I'll let yall know.

Nice quilt, way to dirt baggit. :)

I've been in and out on the internet the last few days...so if anyone asked for some tyvek and I didn't see it, please let me know and my apologies in advance.

While this wasn't my do it yourself project...cause I didn't do it my self...

...big shout out to "jimmy jam", who sent me these overmitts he made, they're gonna work great, thanks so much.

fatal error, picture in my gallery or over there towards the right, yeah right there>

TrafficJam wrote:

How many jackets did you use for the quilt?

I used 3 jackets, sized XXL. I seam ripped them down to the core portions of the jacket (no sleeves, or collar) and then sewed them all together. I may end up trying to make some down booties with the leftover sleeves.

I have another three XL jackets that I will be making for myself, and my husband will use the current one.

And *thank you* rocksNsocks! I sent you a PM.
    • Re:Re: show us your DIY projects

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Hey TJ I may still have them, I could check my gear boxes tomorrow and mail them to you if you like. They maybe long for you as I am 6ft tall but you could cut them off. Jj

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Just saw this...that would be great. My sewing skills stop at hemming.

And I just saw your reply. I'll check my gear boxes and let you know.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Hey TJ I may still have them, I could check my gear boxes tomorrow and mail them to you if you like. They maybe long for you as I am 6ft tall but you could cut them off. Jj

Hey JJ...got the package today, thank you so much. I'll be mailing something for you as soon as I can get to the PO. Don't worry about the arm warmers, I'd like to try to make them myself.

Looks like I'll be getting the arm warmers after all...JJ, you're so generous!

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Does anyone need any Tyvek, it's the heavier house rap stuff. It measures about 30" wide x whatever you want...shoot me your info and I'll mail it out.

.......Viola'............ :)
      ya know, I saw this viola today, and was wondering what the heck you were talking about...Bing! (Rasty, we need a light bulb, some of us more than others :oops: )now I see.

Yes, sent out the tyvek today folks, probably take a few days with the impending storm coming our/your way.

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Got the arm warmers and mittens. Thanks a bunch JJ. I'll have to modify them but it shouldn't be too hard. Mailed something to you and BB this morning, should be there by Saturday.

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Got the arm warmers and mittens. Thanks a bunch JJ. I'll have to modify them but it shouldn't be too hard. Mailed something to you and BB this morning, should be there by Saturday.

Nice. I like nice surprises.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Good, because I sent you something for sending me that cool bud light stove. gif.004
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Good, because I sent you something for sending me that cool bud light stove. gif.004

Oh boy. My master plan is working. :evil:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

You guys are unbelievable. I love the rock sack and larger bag. Being a gram weenie, I am in 7th heaven. I am working on another version. When I perfect it, you will be getting another stove. After this last gift from you, I am way behind in generosity.

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

You guys are unbelievable. I love the rock sack and larger bag. Being a gram weenie, I am in 7th heaven. I am working on another version. When I perfect it, you will be getting another stove. After this last gift from you, I am way behind in generosity.
      awesome!

BirdBrain wrote:

Hey RS! I got my tyvek. Do you want a stove?
      Oh, glad to hear that, I was wondering when it would arrive. Moose got hers last week, but she's in jersey, so. Ya know BB I would love one at some point, but you have your shop full of orders right now, and I have two I made...but hey, if you get some down time and need to clean out the project box, you have my info, and I'd use it with big Bird Brain Pride. :)

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Your very welcome BirdBrain. I had a lot of scraps left over from making my tarp and net tent so I was glad that for a just a little work I could give some people some gear. You really owe me nothing. gif.004
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • [IMG:http://webpages.charter.net/bghouse/SkiPulk/pulk1.jpg]

That sled was not readily available in the US for a number of years. Now EraPro is selling them as the "ERAPRO/PARIS Pro Expedition Sled" for about 3x what they're worth on Amazon. They are back on REI's site, but currently out of stock. True Value has them on their site for $37.99 if there's a store near you where you can pick it up. Lots of other outlets popped up on the Google.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15

The post was edited 1 time, last by LDog ().

• Cool LDog, thanks for da tip. My kids sled found it's way into the garbage this past summer, and then found it's way out again. It's longer than I'd want to use, and considered cutting it down, but will likely bide my time a little longer preferring to wait for one I don't have to fuss with, plus I don't like the color.
    • socks wrote:

It's longer than I'd want to use, and considered cutting it down, but will likely bide my time a little longer preferring to wait for one I don't have to fuss with, plus I don't like the color.

Tho I shirley don't recommend buying these from Amazon if you have another option, this page might give you an idea of what EraPro is selling:

smile.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_s…APRO%2FPARIS&node=3375251
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • LDog wrote:

socks wrote:

It's longer than I'd want to use, and considered cutting it down, but will likely bide my time a little longer preferring to wait for one I don't have to fuss with, plus I don't like the color.

Tho I shirley don't recommend buying these from Amazon if you have another option, this page might give you an idea of what EraPro is selling:

Thanks Ldog, I may have to go that route, beats strong armin' some kid at my local sled hill.
    • LDog wrote:

socks wrote:

Anyone notice that the "SnoFlake" comes with quantity of 6? Are they assuming you have 6 little kids you want to pull around? I hope it is not because the quality is so poor you need replacements. Most people might not want to put their toddler in something like that. 8o
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • socks wrote:

Cool LDog, thanks for da tip. My kids sled found it's way into the garbage this past summer, and then found it's way out again. It's longer than I'd want to use, and considered cutting it down, but will likely bide my time a little longer preferring to wait for one I don't have to fuss with, plus I don't like the color.
      So how silly would you look carrying a red sled down the road in mid June?

Display Spoiler
      not as silly as in August

...and today was just another example of biding ones time, I love doin' that, always seems to work out in the end. while on a walk today I came past a flea market where I got a little red sled for...wait for it....$2 bucks. Score! so by winter I should be pullin' my pulk.
    • socks wrote:

socks wrote:

Cool LDog, thanks for da tip. My kids sled found it's way into the garbage this past summer, and then found it's way out again. It's longer than I'd want to use, and considered cutting it down, but will likely bide my time a little longer preferring to wait for one I don't have to fuss with, plus I don't like the color.
      Display Spoiler

...and today was just another example of biding ones time, I love doin' that, always seems to work out in the end. while on a walk today I came past a flea market where I got a little red sled for...wait for it....$2 bucks. Score! so by winter I should be pullin' my pulk.

Pretty sure to much Pulk pullin' can make ya go blindski brother... :saint:
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • not hiking diy but, I did it myself and I haven't done this in at least 10 years!

Cute little child , new in the parts department. She asked me to do it weeks ago. friday came in distraught. Her boy friends friends friend, let it sit for weks and all the Subaru kids are going to a Rally.................tomorrow.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachLou ().

• Toli wrote:

socks wrote:

socks wrote:

Display Spoiler

Pretty sure to much Pulk pullin' can make ya go blindski brother... :saint:

true dat! I keep the pulk pullin to a minski.