Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

show us your DIY projects

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• show us your DIY projects

And yet more DIY gear:
      variuos sil stuff sacks, cuben sacks and dry bags

sil food bag, wind screen, ground shield, cat can stove

head net, and front pouch

sil storagebag/summit or day pack, backpack

wind shirt

wind pants

Not shown: 2 quilts, silnylon water haul bag, and syn hood
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

POT COZIES!!
      MAKE ONE!!!
      This isn't original and the youtube link isn't even the best to show how to make one (but it is from a site with a lot of useful info which is why I chose it).
      It does show a demonstration of the value of having one, although I believe it shows than a single wall cozie is best value, instead of the double wall one they make.
      As well as retaining the heat, cozies protect the other contents of your pack from the soot on your pot and help stop annoying clinking sounds from your pack as you hike.
      The real value however is that it serves as an alternative to simmering.
      This is especially useful for those using alcohol or solid fuel stoves.

Oh and they make it easy to hold your hot pot while you eat too......
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

I want to make arm sleeves, not compression, but something to slip on over shirt sleeves. They need to be lightweight and warm but don't need to be waterproof.

My idea is to make a tube with elastic at each end. Do you think they'll slide down? What material would be best?
      Lost in the right direction.

I made some out of one of those $6 tyvek jump suites found in the paint department of Lowe's or HD. I just cut the sleeves off and added some elastic at the shoulder part. I wore them with my gatewood cape as the cape only has arm coverage to about your elbows. i thought they worked pretty well.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

I made some out of one of those $6 tyvek jump suites found in the paint department of Lowe's or HD. I just cut the sleeves off and added some elastic at the shoulder part. I wore them with my gatewood cape as the cape only has arm coverage to about your elbows. i thought they worked pretty well.

Sounds good, I'll try it. For $6 it's worth a try.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: show us your DIY projects

Hey TJ I may still have them, I could check my gear boxes tomorrow and mail them to you if you like. They maybe long for you as I am 6ft tall but you could cut them off. Jj

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

CoachLou wrote:

Could I use Tyvek for a bathtub floor? Is it waterproof enough?
      Wow, Lou I didn't even think about that when we had that conversation, I don't see why not, only thing I here is that Tyvek will eventually soften and maybe start to abrade and get some holes, but if you wanna try it, I'll send it!

...now then stuff I have is about 30" wide, so I guess you'd have to put a couple a few pieces side by side and join.

The nice thing about living near Busch Gardens and having a seasons pass is that I can hit up house keeping for a few aluminum bottles for stoves on the way out.

When it comes to DIY I have a little bit of a love/hate relationship with it. I have always liked making things and learning how things are done. But I have no prohlem paying for someone else's skill and knowledge
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

Tuckahoe wrote:

The nice thing about living near Busch Gardens and having a seasons pass is that I can hit up house keeping for a few aluminum bottles for stoves on the way out.

When it comes to DIY I have a little bit of a love/hate relationship with it. I have always liked making things and learning how things are done. But I have no prohlem paying for someone else's skill and knowledge
      so true, after I crashed my first..no second model airplane, an old timer came up to me and...

...So whatta ya gonna do?
      ...I dunno

well...those that don't build, Buy!

he was right.

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Wow, Lou I didn't even think about that when we had that conversation, I don't see why not, only thing I here is that Tyvek will eventually soften and maybe start to abrade and get some holes, but if you wanna try it, I'll send it!

...now then stuff I have is about 30" wide, so I guess you'd have to put a couple a few pieces side by side and join.[/quote

Thanx up front 'Socks, a gift is cheap enough, but even if I had to replace it once every couple of seasons, it has to be cheaper than all those other materials.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

...now then stuff I have is about 30" wide, so I guess you'd have to put a couple a few pieces side by side and join.[/quote

Thanx up front 'Socks, a gift is cheap enough, but even if I had to replace it once every couple of seasons, it has to be cheaper than all those other materials.
      you got it...send me your info and lengths.

after this folks I'll need to check stock, don't wanna give away what I don't have.

Tyvek
      I was incorrect the roll width is 36" not 30" wide. I have put aside that which is already spoken for and will get it out to you just as soon as possible, and as I suspected the roll is goin fast, there's probably enough for about three more pieces 8'x3'
      so if you would like some, just shoot me your info. :)

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

2 of my latest. The one on left is traditional. The one one right is cobalt knockoff with wick in wall.

SWEET 49.gif If I sent you a JD aluminum bottle, could you make one for my son??? He's stationed at Fort Campbell (USAF) and has toured the Jack Distillery a few times :ohmy: , he would love it :) I sent the bottle to Dan(Zelph) but he said it wasn't the right diameter for his press/jig...

Are these the bottles? It might be more cost effective for me to locate them locally. I get my bottles from a local redemption center. I have an advantage over Zelph. I don't use a professional press/jig. I have a disadvantage over Zelph. I don't use a professional press/jig. My stoves would not be the same quality as his, but I can make them. I made one stove from this type of bottle. The finished product is as high as the word quality and has Tennessee on the rolled rim. PM me the address. I will see what can be done.

Yep, its the one on the left... Found it in the middle of "no where" South of DWG Gap... I have no prob sending you the bottle and payin' for the shipping costs, that's what I did with Dan... In return I will make you my version of a "Survival Bracelet"... Using old skool Bozeman Mountain Works Air-Core Pro Dyneema... PM incoming...

I recently had a similar discussion with Shellie Shuttle and Milkman. She made me a beautiful survival bracelet and refused payment. I do not think it is without coincident that I have been given the opportunity to repay in kind. I would not be surprised if a similar thing will happen to you soon too. I think I know how you would react.

The down side to sending bottles is that I might crush it in my efforts to make a stove. My success rate is not perfect. I am using a vise and wooden blocks. Besides, I get them for a nickel at the redemption store. The down side to that is that they do not come in very often. Do you still want to mail one that might get ruined or do you want to have me look for them instead?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained brother ;) ... If it doesn't work out, 46.gif happens... I will PM you my info so you can send me ur addy, and I will drop it in the Post ASAP...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

2 of my latest. The one on left is traditional. The one one right is cobalt knockoff with wick in wall.

SWEET 49.gif If I sent you a JD aluminum bottle, could you make one for my son??? He's stationed at Fort Campbell (USAF) and has toured the Jack Distillery a few times :ohmy: , he would love it :) I sent the bottle to Dan(Zelph) but he said it wasn't the right diameter for his press/jig...

Are these the bottles? It might be more cost effective for me to locate them locally. I get my bottles from a local redemption center. I have an advantage over Zelph. I don't use a professional press/jig. I have a disadvantage over Zelph. I don't use a professional press/jig. My stoves would not be the same quality as his, but I can make them. I made one stove from this type of bottle. The finished product is as high as the word quality and has Tennessee on the rolled rim. PM me the address. I will see what can be done.

Yep, its the one on the left... Found it in the middle of "no where" South of DWG Gap... I have no prob sending you the bottle and payin' for the shipping costs, that's what I did with Dan... In return I will make you my version of a "Survival Bracelet"... Using old skool Bozeman Mountain Works Air-Core Pro Dyneema... PM incoming...

I recently had a similar discussion with Shellie Shuttle and Milkman. She made me a beautiful survival bracelet and refused payment. I do not think it is without coincident that I have been given the opportunity to repay in kind. I would not be surprised if a similar thing will happen to you soon too. I think I know how you would react.

The down side to sending bottles is that I might crush it in my efforts to make a stove. My success rate is not perfect. I am using a vise and wooden blocks. Besides, I get them for a nickel at the redemption store. The down side to that is that they do not come in very often. Do you still want to mail one that might get ruined or do you want to have me look for them instead?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained brother ;) ... If it doesn't work out, 46.gif happens... I will PM you my info so you can send me ur addy, and I will drop it in the Post ASAP...

Which style do you want? The one on the left or right? They heat at similar rates. The one on the left is the traditional one. The one on the right is sorta my own invention. It borrows the cobalt idea, but I use a different wick, hole pattern, and it is 2 piece construction. The main difference is the priming time. the traditional one primes in about 80 seconds. The one I have been tinkering with primes in about 18 seconds.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Which style do you want? The one on the left or right? They heat at similar rates. The one on the left is the traditional one. The one on the right is sorta my own invention. It borrows the cobalt idea, but I use a different wick, hole pattern, and it is 2 piece construction. The main difference is the priming time. the traditional one primes in about 80 seconds. The one I have been tinkering with primes in about 18 seconds.

I want ur "New" design... So when ur "Famous Like Amos" I can say "I knew that dude back in the day" 49.gif
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

CoachLou wrote:

Tomorrow the Hooch will have a floor and it came from Wal-mat. I am taking photos...in the hope that some day I will be able to post photos in a thread.

I know i put one in this afternoon, but I got that off the web somewhere....it was not my pic in my own storage :huh:
      Cool, I'm guessin you went for the Tarp...good move, cheap enough, and if it springs a spring...tape it up.

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Tomorrow the Hooch will have a floor and it came from Wal-mat. I am taking photos...in the hope that some day I will be able to post photos in a thread.

I know i put one in this afternoon, but I got that off the web somewhere....it was not my pic in my own storage :huh:
      Cool, I'm guessin you went for the Tarp...good move, cheap enough, and if it springs a spring...tape it up.

And it's green!!!!!

My wife said to go to Ocean state JobLot, "they have all sorts of tarps". They did. I know the cheap blue stuff is relatively water resistanant, and I have a 40x20 coated one that I know is tuff and waterPROOF. so they had an 'Industrial coated' whatever in 8x12, for 8 bucks. So, it will last a few walks. It may not be UL, but this will make the Hooch all set for the winter. I spent most of yesterday afternoon, folding, measuring and fitting. And last nite the first Rk-n-sks corner was sewed in. I hope to have the new unit up by evening!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

And it's green!!!!!

My wife said to go to Ocean state JobLot, "they have all sorts of tarps". They did. I know the cheap blue stuff is relatively water resistanant, and I have a 40x20 coated one that I know is tuff and waterPROOF. so they had an 'Industrial coated' whatever in 8x12, for 8 bucks. So, it will last a few walks. It may not be UL, but this will make the Hooch all set for the winter. I spent most of yesterday afternoon, folding, measuring and fitting. And last nite the first Rk-n-sks corner was sewed in. I hope to have the new unit up by evening!
      Oooh, you did that bend thing...Cool, never leak.

...I love green!

LIhikers wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

show us what you've made :ie stoves, packs, tents...gear in general.

My next project and one I've been gathering material for a while is a "Pulk" (here's one "Laughing Dog" made, cool right!) still need the sled, and I'm toying with making a waist belt...not sure yet.

For information about pulks, sleds and toboggans look HERE
      Perfect, thanks for postin!

[IMG:http://www.studiotau.com/lj/interlochen1311.jpg]

I made an underquilt from JCP puffer jackets that we scored on clearance for $14 each. Its a crazy Frankenstein quilt, but I feel pretty good about it for a first attempt and it makes a nice summer option with the hammock.

I would LOVE some of the Tyvek RocksNSocks, if there is any left. I was getting ready to buy some for our upcoming trip. We need three pieces for the staging area under the hammocks.

I also recently got some neoprene that I will be making into cozies for our dehydrated food bags.

tauwillow wrote:

[IMG:http://www.studiotau.com/lj/interlochen1311.jpg]

I made an underquilt from JCP puffer jackets that we scored on clearance for $14 each. Its a crazy Frankenstein quilt, but I feel pretty good about it for a first attempt and it makes a nice summer option with the hammock.

I would LOVE some of the Tyvek RocksNSocks, if there is any left. I was getting ready to buy some for our upcoming trip. We need three pieces for the staging area under the hammocks.

I also recently got some neoprene that I will be making into cozies for our dehydrated food bags.

Sleeping with Frankenstein, now that sound interesting. :blink:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General