Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

You know you're in a redneck joint when

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Some years ago a supervisor told my sister some day she would have a house trailer of her own.

My sister replied that her dream home doesn't have wheels.

My dream home is to pay a company in Idaho to buld a replica, in stone, of a Norman keep. Lots of exercise that way.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

It might be a redneck joint if they have roadkill on the menu.
      Don't think I've ever had roadkill, but I've definitely eaten out of a dumpster before. You should see all the fancy crap that Trader Joe's throws out around here.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • We used call the bartender on our cell phones from our table at this one redneck biker bar and tell her to get her arse over to our table because we're out of beer. She took it well as we were all heavy tippers.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

It's my observation that Redneck country starts in Pennsylvania.
      Uh well you are entitled to you OOOOpinion. Just not the facks.
      One time stoping early at a shelter, the pecefull noise of the woods was overtaken by the sounds of multiple engines. My female partner & I were soon surrounded by many gun toting men on ATVs. She was a bit concerned & my reply was it may be VT but they are just some rednecks hving some fun on the weekend. The dirt road they used intesected the LT there & it was their lunch stop. They shared hamburgs, hotdogs, homemade sausage pies & beer with us! They did do a little shooting praice, but when a chipmunk appeaed & Michele objected to it being a target they all agreed.

Several days later as we were checking out a town on a resuppy stop a pick up stopped beside us. It was one of the bunch. He said we glad we made it to his town & offred a ride.
    • sheepdog wrote:

Where they give you free drinks most of the night then take you in the back room for lots of sex.....

Well it's never happened to me but my sister says it happens all the time.
      Cof124
      Oh man, you had me going right up to the punchline.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • ScareBear wrote:

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

It starts pretty much everywhere well outside of the cities. About 1/3 of Connecticut is redneck country, so is about 3/5 of NY state by landmass.
      Hiking the AT thru PA, NJ, NY the small towns with the friendly people, American flags, churches, and country music made me feel just like I was back in the South.
      People think NJ and they think industrial wasteland, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen and Snookie. That's only about 1/10th of the state. Well, actually, Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen ARE the State of New Jersey, but that's a different topic, just sayin....
      The rest of it is rural, pastoral and lovely. It isn't called The Garden State without good reason! 7th in tomato production! Delaware Water Gap!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      I am Connecticut born and raised, which means that I am supposed to despise New Jersey by birthright. Sadly the A.T. spoiled that for me, right now NJ is tied with VT as my favorite state on the trail.

Vernon NJ was one of the nicest trail towns I've stepped foot in. I didn't even get out of the trailhead before a local stopped, asked if we were going into town and then insisted on giving us a ride because she hated seeing hikers walking on the narrow shoulder of Rte 94 with cars whizzing by. She also insisted that we call her the next morning if we needed a ride back. Once in town the Church hostel and local stores were all incredibly welcoming.

One day I was sitting around something or other shelter (Gren Anderson?) just North of Culver's gap and up walked a true Southern fried gentlemen who hand long ago resettled to New Jersey. We quickly hit it off and he then said "welcome to the tiny green sliver of the so called Garden State." That one cracked me up.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

Where they give you free drinks most of the night then take you in the back room for lots of sex.....

Cof124 Oh man, you had me going right up to the punchline.
      Joke is older thn you. Elf!
      Well there's the problem, I never did know much about antiques. :whistling:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Now, there's a difference between redneck, country folk, and very country.
      Would you put yourself in one of those categories? My son has a most valuable asset, can fit in anywhere, right at home in a corporate board meeting or in the redest of redneck dives....I'm guessing the latter came from my genes...no idea where the former came from.....and BTW,

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

It starts pretty much everywhere well outside of the cities. About 1/3 of Connecticut is redneck country, so is about 3/5 of NY state by landmass.
      Hiking the AT thru PA, NJ, NY the small towns with the friendly people, American flags, churches, and country music made me feel just like I was back in the South.
      I lived in Dansville, NY for five years, was really surprised to find they're as conservative as I, enjoyed living there....good folks.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Would you put yourself in one of those categories? My son has a most valuable asset, can fit in anywhere, right at home in a corporate board meeting or in the redest of redneck dives....I'm guessing the latter came from my genes...no idea where the former came from.....and BTW,

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I lived in Dansville, NY for five years, was really surprised to find they're as conservative as I, enjoyed living there....good folks.
      Sounds like me. I have a high profile job. Sometimes I dress formerly , most of the time I wear jeans. Outside of work it's strictly old blue jeans and a T-shirt.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Sounds like me. I have a high profile job. Sometimes I dress formerly , most of the time I wear jeans. Outside of work it's strictly old blue jeans and a T-shirt.
      Since retiring it's tee shirt/shorts/flip flops summer...jeans/sweat shirt winter....I haven't had a tie on for so long I don't remember how to tie one...and don't want to ever remember.....and 3:00 is the new 5:00.
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Since retiring it's tee shirt/shorts/flip flops summer...jeans/sweat shirt winter....I haven't had a tie on for so long I don't remember how to tie one...and don't want to ever remember.....and 3:00 is the new 5:00.
      none of those categories, I'm a mutt. ^^
      Lost in the right direction.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I went to some honky tonks when I was much younger. The restroom was inside the building. A trough for the guys with one stool for sitting.
      Indy 500. For years they had five foot long porcelain pee troughs in the restrooms...now they are stainless steel...same drip bar above the trough....better not have a shy bladder there...just sayin...

Worst bathroom experience...skiing into a warming hutte in Italy 20 years ago at Cervinia to use the bathroom and realizing the urinal and stool were the same hole in the floor. With wooden 2x4 blocks nailed down to brace your feet against...and no paper...apparently, I was supposed to bring in some snow in a bucket...it was that experience or looking down while flushing on a train going up the railway to Zermatt and seeing the railbed...I guess I really did dump on Switzerland....
    • ScareBear wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

you know you're at a redneck joint when there's only 2 beers on the menu.

Okay...now I'm questioning if JJ is really a redneck. :D
      That would bud in a can and bud in a bottle.
      "We got both kinds of music here. Country AND Western!"
      Shame they didn't get to make more movies together. Loved 1941 also.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Those two were made for each other....what a gas!
    • One of the honky tonks I frequented as a youngster was Bessie's Lounge, Bessie looked like she was fresh off The Walking Dead, Nodini's waswhayt you would call a respectable dive, Neda's steak house on the other hand, fight your way in, fight your way out, they had so many shootings and knifings they finally closed it down....ohhh those formative years.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Those two were made for each other....what a gas!
      Did you get the pepper steak reference? They are in Illinois and she claims to have the best pepper steak in the state. Elwood is disgusted. Why?

Also, did you recognize the continuity error about the beer? Take a good look. What is THAT beer doing in Bob's Country Bunker?
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

Cof124 Oh man, you had me going right up to the punchline.
      Joke is older thn you. Elf!
      Ha ha, I never heard it and thought he was serious.
    • Drybones wrote:

One of the honky tonks I frequented as a youngster was Bessie's Lounge, Bessie looked like she was fresh off The Walking Dead, Nodini's waswhayt you would call a respectable dive, Neda's steak house on the other hand, fight your way in, fight your way out, they had so many shootings and knifings they finally closed it down....ohhh those formative years.
      It was a lot easier to get into those places when we were young. Went to a local, sketchy bar when I was 16 using a 27 yr olds DL. As long as you had a DL, they didn't care.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

One of the honky tonks I frequented as a youngster was Bessie's Lounge, Bessie looked like she was fresh off The Walking Dead, Nodini's waswhayt you would call a respectable dive, Neda's steak house on the other hand, fight your way in, fight your way out, they had so many shootings and knifings they finally closed it down....ohhh those formative years.
      It was a lot easier to get into those places when we were young. Went to a local, sketchy bar when I was 16 using a 27 yr olds DL. As long as you had a DL, they didn't care.
      I've been in some real redneck bars. I have some land in Carter County, Missouri. It isn't any more rural than that, except maybe Appalachia. It's the Ozarks on the Current River.....

Anyway....you know its the real deal when:
      Sawdust on the floor
      Pickled Eggs
      Pickled Pigs Feet
      Pickled Turkey Necks
      Hard Boiled Eggs in the shell
      popcorn
      pull tabs
      jukebox with a kill switch behind the bar for when them damn city kids try to play that disco stuff...
      ice in the urinal
      PBR tall boy on special for 2 bucks
      and some kind of home made liquor that you can get only if they know you. It's usually clear. Just sayin...
    • We used to frequent this one dive called "I Dunno Either" when we were in our teens. We went there so much they would reserve a table for us and have the pitcher of beer and glasses on the table. Place was painted flat black walls ceiling and floor. Like a cave. You had to pay attention and be ready to duck when someone hollered Duck because that meant a beer bottle was flying. The good old days.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Now the wildest bar I've been in (that people keep their clothes on in) and think Mountain Mike has been there is in Mrytle Beach called The Suck Bang Blow. This is a redneck biker bar that you ride your motorcycle inside right up to the bar and they will serve you on your bike. They have a little drag strip inside where you can do a burn out. If you blow your tire up they have a in house shop to replace it for you. SUCK your beer down, BANG it in gear and BLOW your tire. Place is still there. Google it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Went to college in a town that had a huge live country music bar that would also host fight nights. You had to have a boxing license(because it was a college town...), but at least you got paid cash on the spot. 50 bucks to enter the ring 100 if you advanced....club fighting at its finest....
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I've been to a bar that only has 2 beers. McSorley's old ale house, oldest bar in New York City. The place makes it's own beer, they have light and dark and when you order, they hand you two 8ish ounce mugs that are usually only 3/4 full because they fill so many at once.

The place is in a neverending feud with the health dept because they want to operate like it's the 1890's. The health dept gave up and let them continue to put sawdust on the floor. The bar finally gave in and got the house cats out of the bar about 5 years ago.

The bar and health dept are at a stalemate about the dozens of century old turkey wishbones hanging from the old gas lamps on the ceiling. When soldiers stopped by the bar before shipping out for WWI they each put a wishbone on the lamp for good luck, when they returned they each took a wishbone down. The ones that are left were put there by the soldiers who never came back from the war.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Now the wildest bar I've been in (that people keep their clothes on in) and think Mountain Mike has been there is in Mrytle Beach called The Suck Bang Blow. This is a redneck biker bar that you ride your motorcycle inside right up to the bar and they will serve you on your bike. They have a little drag strip inside where you can do a burn out. If you blow your tire up they have a in house shop to replace it for you. SUCK your beer down, BANG it in gear and BLOW your tire. Place is still there. Google it.
      I set up 800' away from it for Bike Week there. My friend Jasmine Cain is usually a headliner there.
    • When we were at Orange Beach over Thanksgiving the FloraBama had a big fat guy pull his pants down and bend over...if you threw a slab of bacon and it stuck to his a$$ you got a free drink......does that classify? A lot of female flashers also.