Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Why Shakedown Trips Are Necessary!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why Shakedown Trips Are Necessary!

Hello fellow thru-hikers!

My wife and I are a few weeks out from starting our AT thru-hike. I wanted to share a bit of advice with you all before we embark regarding planning your trek. TAKE A SHAKEDOWN TRIP (or as many as you can!)!

We recently went on a shakedown to test our gear/setups and to discover ways we could cut weight. All in all, we cut about 5 pounds off our collective base weight.

Read more about our shakedown here: trailmixfornewlyweds.com/2017/01/25/shake-it-on-down/

Thanks for reading!
    • Shake down hikes are really only helpful if the big hike is going to be your first hike.
      If you've got some good experience in backpacking beforehand then you've probably worked out the kinks and problems.
      Well maybe if you got all new gear for the big hike, then you should probably try it out before the big day.
    • My daughters boyfriend just learned that showdown troops are necessary. He hiked 12 miles in leather boots and got 8 blisters. His trip is over and I'm dropping him off at the Greyhound station in the morning to head home. I'm going back out to the Smokies.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

My daughters boyfriend just learned that showdown troops are necessary. He hiked 12 miles in leather boots and got 8 blisters. His trip is over and I'm dropping him off at the Greyhound station in the morning to head home. I'm going back out to the Smokies.
      Don't you just love autocorrect. :)
      Showdown Troops sounds like something a potential future father-in-law might try to use.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

My daughters boyfriend just learned that showdown troops are necessary. He hiked 12 miles in leather boots and got 8 blisters. His trip is over and I'm dropping him off at the Greyhound station in the morning to head home. I'm going back out to the Smokies.
      Don't you just love autocorrect. :) Showdown Troops sounds like something a potential future father-in-law might try to use.
      Love that auto correct.... works very badly when texting.... And Rasty stop letting your daughters hang out with tenderfoot. :thumbup:
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • trailmixfornewlyweds wrote:

@Wise Old Owl

Thanks for the comment! My wife's pack is right at 10 lbs and mine is at 12 lbs. We should be able to shed another pound as it warms up and can switch out some of our heavier winter gear. We are pretty happy with where we are at right now though!
      No need - light enough...Enjoy your hike....you are so light Daniel Boone would envy you.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: