Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Proposed Southern AT Registration

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

another way would be reroute the trail about 200 to 500 miles west of its current route. When that becomes worn down. Move it back.
      You could move the trail 120 feet to the left or right and get the same results. Most hikers stay within 50 feet of the trail.
      I have seen paper flowers much closer
      when i thru'd the shelters in the gsmnp on the AT did not have privy's. and the immediate vicinity around the shelters was just plain nasty. i've been in the park since then, but not on the AT. i've read that as of 2010 the shelters now have privys. that has to have improved things greatly. one would assume, at least.
      North Carolina shelters have a privy. The Tennessee shelters don't.
      Mt Collins shelter has a privy.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

another way would be reroute the trail about 200 to 500 miles west of its current route. When that becomes worn down. Move it back.
      You could move the trail 120 feet to the left or right and get the same results. Most hikers stay within 50 feet of the trail.
      when i thru'd the shelters in the gsmnp on the AT did not have privy's. and the immediate vicinity around the shelters was just plain nasty. i've been in the park since then, but not on the AT. i've read that as of 2010 the shelters now have privys. that has to have improved things greatly. one would assume, at least.
      exactly. We knew we were in Tennessee when we saw a shovel at a shelter. The so called privy areas were nasty and I wouldn't even pee there. I went down trail a ways and found me cathole spot.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I saw some right beside the Ozark Highlands Trail a few weeks ago unfortunately. :thumbdown:
      But I believe it could have been from a hunter instead of a hiker.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

exactly. We knew we were in Tennessee when we saw a shovel at a shelter. The so called privy areas were nasty and I wouldn't even pee there. I went down trail a ways and found me cathole spot.
      That actually is downside of doing a thru-hike of the AT, having to go through that again.
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

That actually is downside of doing a thru-hike of the AT, having to go through that again.
      my several year old companion recommends whenever possible to do your cathole business in the woods between shelters. privys don't fill up so fast, and it appears that also gives the individual some benefits by avoiding the privys.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I saw some right beside the Ozark Highlands Trail a few weeks ago unfortunately. :thumbdown: But I believe it could have been from a hunter instead of a hiker.
      Maybe the bears are using Charmin.
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

my several year old companion recommends whenever possible to do your cathole business in the woods between shelters. privys don't fill up so fast, and it appears that also gives the individual some benefits by avoiding the privys.
      That's a good idea, since shelters and water sources tend to be near each other.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I hope it is limited to those times of the year when usage has been excessive historically.
      That would be the most logical thing to do. But can you imagine the dumbasses trying to figure out when they have or don't have to register? Look at all the people constantly asking about the GSMNP rules? And those never change.

My guess is it will be year-round, permanent, and fees will be involved. Someone has to pay for the reservation system's maintenance...and the ATC may as well get a few bucks too for all their programs and stuff.
    • Solution: work to change the mind set that the AT is not a roving pot party, but a place for reflection. Besmirch sayings like "trail family" trail magic" "class of" and loose the "we as a group" mentality and focus on individuality, and personal responsibility.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Socks ().

• meat wrote:

This sucks the life right out of waking at 3 in the morning, deciding you need to get away and take a hike only to find more beuracratic bullshit that you were trying to get away from in the first place.

Lunar hiking will fix that ! Of course, someone would make lal of us take a space suit safety course, otherwise they wouldn't open the air lock leading out of Tycho Crater City.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

meat wrote:

This sucks the life right out of waking at 3 in the morning, deciding you need to get away and take a hike only to find more beuracratic bullshit that you were trying to get away from in the first place.
      Lunar hiking will fix that ! Of course, someone would make lal of us take a space suit safety course, otherwise they wouldn't open the air lock leading out of Tycho Crater City.
      Well, they did say they wanted to manage users by distributing them across time and space. :P
    • Admittedly, my feelings about it are selfish. Enforcing quotas will mean people will look for alternate places to hike and I don't want a lot of people hiking on the BMT, the Cumberland Trail, the overlooked trails in the Smokies...

My plan is to do more AT section hikes when I've completed the BMT. The AT is an entirely different culture and experience and I appreciate that and enjoy it...but the AT culture needs to stay on the AT.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Rasty wrote:

The shelters should all be taken down. Problem solved.
      Or rebuild the shelters so large that all of the hikers can fit inside.How about a 10 story shelter with 10 people on each floor?
      Display Spoiler
      ...........he says in jest

The problem is that farts rise and the collective gas would kill everyone in the top two stories of the shelter when it was full.
      There you go, you have the answer...if all floors are equal that would reduce the traffic by 10%...I could bring my dog and take out two more floors...and blind at least one.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

meat wrote:

I don't plan to ever go back to GSMNP...hope I don't have to say the same for GA.
      yeah for me the trail between Damascus and the smokys was way better than the smokys
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

meat wrote:

I don't plan to ever go back to GSMNP...hope I don't have to say the same for GA.
      Go during the winter. I've slept in a GSMNP shelter once. I've tented breast the shelter dozens of times.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Drybones wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Do y'all know that the situation got so bad at Mt. Whitney on the JMT they require you to take a Wag Bag to poop in. That's what I call getting your sh*t checked.
      Sure would be nice to go where no man has gone before.
      Mars ! Mars !
      Good bet...doubt there's a scrap of TP there.
      How about Matt Damon. :D
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Do y'all know that the situation got so bad at Mt. Whitney on the JMT they require you to take a Wag Bag to poop in. That's what I call getting your sh*t checked.
      wouldn't mind if women had arrived prior.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Mars ! Mars !
      Good bet...doubt there's a scrap of TP there.
      How about Matt Damon. :D
      He's not TP......he's what's on it.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Rasty wrote:

The shelters should all be taken down. Problem solved.
      JJ may be right in thinking dispersed camping will be more damaging, Not from guys like me, Nobody would be able to tell I was there. The problem lies with people that have got into hiking and backpacking and missed the chapter of leave no trace. The shelters build community with those that stop and stay. Once removed it would be hell to put one back. Lucky as most of the trail has both methods available. There are lots of flat spots here in pa right up against the trail and some just a little ways off. And both systems do not address the real issue.... TP & Turds. Few on the trail want to dig a cat hole.

In Canada (Algonquin)
      they use Thunder-boxes a pit is dug and the box is placed on top once the pit fills up they cap and move the box each year to a new spot nearby. No matter what the decision folks make in the future, there is going to be more trail maintenance and we will eventually have to pay for it, more environmentalism to come.
      [IMG:https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmckK5MHALIt4qpjAQ-_y-5l5Kcoph_MhzaYvzVPGGp_uBh0qG]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Perhaps my reading comprehension is lacking but I didn't see an explanation of exactly what the registration would be for. Is it for:
      • Thru-hikers?
      • Section hikers?
      • Day hikers?
      • Shelter use?
      I guess this is somewhat rhetorical as I've been to Springer 3 times and the chance that I will be hiking in Georgia again seems to be slim; I'd rather hike trail new to me.
    • Okay, I've thought this through and here's what we should do.

We build a wall around the Appalachian Trail to keep out all the riff raff and short people. True, all hikers are equal but some hikers are more equal than others and those are the ones who get in. Then we get Native Americans to pay for the AT wall and then round up the Native Americans and send them all back to...

Wait. That won't work. Never mind. Forget I mentioned it. It'll make hikers look foolish.

Datto
    • Trillium wrote:

Perhaps my reading comprehension is lacking but I didn't see an explanation of exactly what the registration would be for. Is it for:
      • Thru-hikers?
      • Section hikers?
      • Day hikers?
      • Shelter use?
      I guess this is somewhat rhetorical as I've been to Springer 3 times and the chance that I will be hiking in Georgia again seems to be slim; I'd rather hike trail new to me.
      Nah...we don't know what's going on either, just speculating and making assumptions.