Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Tell me about PA's Laurel Highlands Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tell me about PA's Laurel Highlands Trail

While walking back to our car at the end of the MLK 2017 weekend Kathy and I were talking about trying the Laurel Highlands Trail in PA.
      We'll have a week in the middle of April, plus the weekend on each end of that week, to get away. There'll be 2 full days of driving plus I figure at leat 1/2 a day for a shuttle from Ohiopyle to the other end of the trail, leaving at best 6.5 days of hiking. We have a couple of questions we're hoping to find answers to.
      1. Is there likely to be snow on the ground in the middle of April in western PA's mountains?
      2. What is the terrain really like?
      The maps on-line and the on-line videos we've seen don't make it look to difficult
      So, for those of you who know about this trail please help us out here.
      Thanks in advance for any info you can send our way.
    • I've driven past both ends of the trail. I expect you will get a workout from the elevation change. I have not hiked any part of it.

The elevation profile looks pretty tame, except near Ohiopyle.

google.com/url?sa=t&source=web…0C7bXveNnWcYlevRSgf8uz1lA
      google.com/url?sa=t&source=web…fUhNouUca_S3fXiB0jCkVUwfw

The post was edited 3 times, last by WanderingStovie ().

• I grew up in SW Pennsylvania and "thru hiked" that trail a couple of times as well as countless shorter trips. With that being said its been 25 plus years since I set foot on it. the trail is 70 miles long and takes most people 4-5 days to complete. The Seven Springs and Ohio Pyle areas are my favorite. There are several shelter sites along the way. Each one has probably 5 or so shelters in the same area. Most have a water pump however its still a good idea to filter. The shelters are very similar to what you'd see on the AT however they have fireplaces. The DNR used to stock firewood at the shelters, not sure if they still do. The terrain isn't as "bad" as what I now experience in North Georgia but it is hilly in places. I doubt you would have much of an issue, then again I don't know what re-directs have been done. It is possible to still have snow on the ground in early April, doubtfull, but possible. I remember being snowed in on Easter with several inches. Best to check the forecast shortly before the hike. There are several videos on YouTube about the LHHT. On in particular was done by "Outdoor Adventures". Its a decent video and only a year or two old. It may be worth watching.
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

I grew up in SW Pennsylvania and "thru hiked" that trail a couple of times as well as countless shorter trips. With that being said its been 25 plus years since I set foot on it. the trail is 70 miles long and takes most people 4-5 days to complete. The Seven Springs and Ohio Pyle areas are my favorite. There are several shelter sites along the way. Each one has probably 5 or so shelters in the same area. Most have a water pump however its still a good idea to filter. The shelters are very similar to what you'd see on the AT however they have fireplaces. The DNR used to stock firewood at the shelters, not sure if they still do. The terrain isn't as "bad" as what I now experience in North Georgia but it is hilly in places. I doubt you would have much of an issue, then again I don't know what re-directs have been done. It is possible to still have snow on the ground in early April, doubtfull, but possible. I remember being snowed in on Easter with several inches. Best to check the forecast shortly before the hike. There are several videos on YouTube about the LHHT. On in particular was done by "Outdoor Adventures". Its a decent video and only a year or two old. It may be worth watching.
      Thanks for the info!
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

can't help with hiking; did a family raft trip down the youghiogheny years ago at ohiopyle. very popular whitewater river.
      When I hiked the Great Allegheny Passage I remember seeing tons of rafters on the river.It looks like fun.
      Except for when you fall in.
      But on a warm day that might even be nice. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General