Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Instant battery charger...cheap!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Instant battery charger...cheap!

As a SASH (short ass section hiker) I was looking for something to charge my ipod for music and a movie. The Rayovac PS72-B Instant battery charger has fit the bill. At $8.99 it was cheap, light, and batteries are fairly available. It uses a CR123A Lithium battery (the charging unit comes with one). if your power requirements are small, and you don't want to fool with solar changers and heavier rechargeable battery, this may be for you too. However if you require more power like to keep a smart phone going with constant use...I'd look else where.

On a recent trip I was able to watch "Pat Garrett and billy the Kid" with James Coburn and Kris Kristofferson, listen to music all night long, and check some maps I uploaded on my ipod...for me this little charger works...check it out.
      cheers and happy hiking :)
      Rayovac
      batt: CR123A
      Wt. about 1 1/2 oz.s with battery
      works with iphone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G & ipod

Since I've returned from my trip 4 days ago I'm still running on that same charge, and have listen to music each day since then....I walk every day about 3-5 miles, or about an 1hr and 45 min.
    • Re:Instant battery charger...cheap!

Rocket Socks _ I am having an issue with the software and it wants me to log in to see your pictures - so I am going to guess what I am looking at. Apple at some point got frustrated with China making knock off chargers, Any device with a movie capability requires a strong battery and amperage for the processor. The two batteries above do not have the power or amperage to do the job - they require an up converter to get from 3v or 1.5, to up the voltage to 5v or 12v with a circuit. I am sure you may get a little power back into the device - but at what cost? CR's are not cheap and are far more practical as Watch batteries. They are in the Milliamp range, the original charger is a much larger and is 1amp. The products above would be a one and done and replace the battery each time... I guess I am pointing out the few times you use it a full charging unit would pay for itself.

Apple iPod Charger Output Power
      12 V
      1.0 A
      Note: iPad devices include a 10W USB Power Adapter that can be used with iPod.

I got into you photo page and saw the one you have - its a unique $2-3 replaceable battery as suspected - Thats $1 per hour of use. Use this product 14 times and you run up a bill thats = to the rechargeables. Let me talk with the wife and I will come up with a solution for you.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Re:Instant battery charger...cheap!

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rocket Socks _ I am having an issue with the software and it wants me to log in to see your pictures - so I am going to guess what I am looking at. Apple at some point got frustrated with China making knock off chargers, Any device with a movie capability requires a strong battery and amperage for the processor. The two batteries above do not have the power or amperage to do the job - they require an up converter to get from 3v or 1.5, to up the voltage to 5v or 12v with a circuit. I am sure you may get a little power back into the device - but at what cost? CR's are not cheap and are far more practical as Watch batteries. They are in the Milliamp range, the original charger is a much larger and is 1amp. The products above would be a one and done and replace the battery each time... I guess I am pointing out the few times you use it a full charging unit would pay for itself.

Apple iPod Charger Output Power
      12 V
      1.0 A
      Note: iPad devices include a 10W USB Power Adapter that can be used with iPod.

I got into you photo page and saw the one you have - its a unique $2-3 replaceable battery as suspected - Thats $1 per hour of use. Use this product 14 times and you run up a bill thats = to the rechargeables. Let me talk with the wife and I will come up with a solution for you.
      Woo, I get what your saying, the Anker looks like a fine battery backup. My thoughts are for someone who maybe needs power, forgot there charger, or it broke....ect ect. I did not make that clear, however what I did say, was that if you required more power...best to look elsewhere.

The availability of these are growing, and cheap being a relative term the few bucks it cost me was worth it. I only do a few trips a year and my power requirements are pretty nil...no smart phone here. So again, I watched a movie, ( no popcorn, so right there I saved like $7.50) and have had music blasting all week long on that same charge.

Now when I'm ready to upgrade...the Anker I will definitely take a look at, Thanks for chiming in always value your opinion on such matters as electronics.