Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sleepwear

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Out camping I wear jeans and a t-shirt. What I wear with that depends on temperature.

I've worn long John pants and shirt. A coat. Gloves and a knit cap. One or more pairs of socks.

I take off the underwear, socks, and t-shirt and put on spares so as to have dry clothes when I start the night. Wearing sweaty clothes to sleep in makes for a miserable night.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I change my socks and sometimes my underwear before crawling into my sleeping bag. My hiking clothes dry out before bed, unless it was raining. I sleep in my hiking clothes, with other layers added around them in winter. In summer, I may strip down to my underwear when decency allows it. So no, I don't carry sleepwear, except for insulated slippers in extreme cold. I wear a hat and a balaclava on a cold night, but at most one of the two during the day.
    • When it's warm I sleep in my nylon shorts which are also swim trunks and a nylon/poly short sleeve shirt. These are also my town clothes. If it's colder I'll sleep in my light weight silk long johns. If I'm still cold I'll put my shorts and short sleeve shirt on over the silks. Still not warm enough I'll add another layer.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

When it's warm I sleep in my nylon shorts which are also swim trunks and a nylon/poly short sleeve shirt. These are also my town clothes. If it's colder I'll sleep in my light weight silk long johns. If I'm still cold I'll put my shorts and short sleeve shirt on over the silks. Still not warm enough I'll add another layer.
      Pretty much describes mine also, basically sleep in town clothes, unless warm and then just underwear. During winter add gloves and beanie.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • SandyofPA wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Has anyone tried removing layers when they are cold?
      Well I did start out sleeping naked when I could :) . But after a while I learned best to sleep in something to help my quilt stay cleaner longer.
      I have been carrying a poly/cotton nightgown, I can't sleep grubby.
      Most nights I wipe down with a biowipe or two before bed.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • SandyofPA wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Well I did start out sleeping naked when I could :) . But after a while I learned best to sleep in something to help my quilt stay cleaner longer.
      I have been carrying a poly/cotton nightgown, I can't sleep grubby.
      Even in colder temps, say 30's? You've made a few comments recently that have me rethinking my sleepwear. A nightgown sounds so comfortable.

It's been a while since I slept in the cold but the past few times, I wore less, not more, and slept warmer.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • meat wrote:

Underwear (and or light nylon shorts) and t-shirt depending on how humid it is or how warm and humid I expect it to be. Colder weather, merino wool tops and bottoms or EMS's tech system...which is polyester of varying weights and weaves.
      oops...previous quote was inaccurate..

The above is similar to my technique.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • meat wrote:

Underwear and t-shirt depending on how humid it is or how warm and humid I expect it to be. Colder weather, merino wool tops and bottoms.
      me too.

As for taking layers off in cold. What I do in all weather is to lay on top of my quilt or pad with no quilt on my back and relax. I lie there until I feel quite chilled. Only then I get under the quilt. In warm weather I may sleep half the night before getting cold. I'll wake up in the middle of the night, pull the quilt over me, and go right back to sleep. Even in cold weather, it's surprizing how long you can lie there before getting cold. Your body has a lot of built up heat and your metabolism is all ramped up from the day. Letting that heat dissapate before covering up prevents you from sweating in your bag. Plus I find that chilling time to be one of favorite times of the day.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

NO - never. And Merino wool is old school - and less itchy than red wool long johns. Here is the takeaway, smaller fibers than human hair trap more warmth "air" against the skin. Hense the success of Winter Under Armor and knock offs. The original invention is Polartec. Adopted for the army in high altitude warfare. The inventor was an idiot who never patented his invention. By making fibers smaller and closer together it traps a thin layer of air and reflects a small amount of heat radiation from the body. So part of this is make sure its form fitting and not loose - much like yoga pants. Oh and by the way the polyester doesn't retain water and remains dry.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Dan76 wrote:

meat wrote:

Underwear (and or light nylon shorts) and t-shirt depending on how humid it is or how warm and humid I expect it to be. Colder weather, merino wool tops and bottoms or EMS's tech system...which is polyester of varying weights and weaves.
      oops...previous quote was inaccurate..
      The above is similar to my technique.
      Yeah, I was wondering about the nightgown. :P
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

NO - never. And Merino wool is old school - and less itchy than red wool long johns. Here is the takeaway, smaller fibers than human hair trap more warmth "air" against the skin. Hense the success of Winter Under Armor and knock offs. The original invention is Polartec. Adopted for the army in high altitude warfare. The inventor was an idiot who never patented his invention. By making fibers smaller and closer together it traps a thin layer of air and reflects a small amount of heat radiation from the body. So part of this is make sure its form fitting and not loose - much like yoga pants. Oh and by the way the polyester doesn't retain water and remains dry.
      I wear cycling pants, 260 smartwool shirt, hat, buff around my neck and sometimes over my face, wool socks, and sometimes my coat. If I'm not wearing my coat, it's on top of the bag. The bag is pulled over my head.

I'm usually already cold when crawling in the bag. Then get clammy with all the clothing and breathing in the bag, so stay cold.

Through a stupid mistake, I soaked my hiking socks, sleep socks, and part of my sleeping pants (I haven't told y'all that story), so slept in just a shirt and was surprised that I was warmer...not warm but not as cold as usual.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I wear cycling pants, 260 smartwool shirt, hat, buff around my neck and sometimes over my face, wool socks, and sometimes my coat. If I'm not wearing my coat, it's on top of the bag. The bag is pulled over my head.
      I'm usually already cold when crawling in the bag. Then get clammy with all the clothing and breathing in the bag, so stay cold.

Through a stupid mistake, I soaked my hiking socks, sleep socks, and part of my sleeping pants (I haven't told y'all that story), so slept in just a shirt and was surprised that I was warmer...not warm but not as cold as usual.
      I am careful to not breathe in my bag, and even leave the bag partially unzipped to keep it away from my nose. I need to make a vapor barrier bib that clips to the bag where my breath hits it, or at least treat with DWR periodically.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I wear cycling pants, 260 smartwool shirt, hat, buff around my neck and sometimes over my face, wool socks, and sometimes my coat. If I'm not wearing my coat, it's on top of the bag. The bag is pulled over my head.I'm usually already cold when crawling in the bag. Then get clammy with all the clothing and breathing in the bag, so stay cold.

I am careful to not breathe in my bag, and even leave the bag partially unzipped to keep it away from my nose. I need to make a vapor barrier bib that clips to the bag where my breath hits it, or at least treat with DWR periodically.
      Same, when it's bitting cold I just wanna stick my nose in my bag...just for a minute, which then Leeds to way to long.