Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Making Lox (Cold Smoked Salmon) & Gravlax

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Making Lox (Cold Smoked Salmon) & Gravlax

Cold Smoked Salmon... As I prepare a huge amount of smoked salmon with a basic draw out the liquids. Set up in a glass pan takes 15 minutes, to rub in the salt and sugar. - I used 3 parts brown sugar to 1 pound sea salt. This quickly turns into liquid overnight, The salt removes the water and leaves the nutritious fat, and cures the fish.. but is the sugar doing the same and sweetening the meat. I like the idea that when the fish is done in this first step, its very firm not floppy like fresh. The process takes five days in the refrigerator and once this is started I check and rotate the pieces and pour off the water, about three minutes a day.

Here is the set up with a digital smoker (Unplugged) On the right is a "Camping Webber" Charcoal Stove the duct is nothing more than exhaust duct from a dryer. Yes - Duct Tape. Inside the Webber is a 1/2 pile of natural charcoal and soaked Apple Wood. The Webber is my dads, they do not make this model anymore the round mini with top vents is still available at $29.

Here is the Salmon, all washed off and five days cured. 2 hours about to smoke and yes that is a tray of ice.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• The freshness of Lox is amazing - the two hours of smoking in Apple wood did not impart a sour taste instead an almost aromatic woodsy smell and now that it is cured will stay fresh for 20 days, Deanna just inhaled a few ounces... wow. This will blow apart store bought for some time.

Now I have to find a really good knife to shave it up.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

The freshness of Lox is amazing - the two hours of smoking in Apple wood did not impart a sour taste instead an almost aromatic woodsy smell and now that it is cured will stay fresh for 20 days, Deanna just inhaled a few ounces... wow. This will blow apart store bought for some time.

Go to a fishing supplies store and get the longest filet knife you can find.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

The freshness of Lox is amazing - the two hours of smoking in Apple wood did not impart a sour taste instead an almost aromatic woodsy smell and now that it is cured will stay fresh for 20 days, Deanna just inhaled a few ounces... wow. This will blow apart store bought for some time.

Go to a fishing supplies store and get the longest filet knife you can find.
      I didn't think of that there are two inside my tackle boxes.
    • Just a huge follow up - I learned so much from this, I discovered fresher - supplies, I discovered better method's of prep, and feel better as I can now produce pounds of shelf stable fish that are cold dried cured.

Rasty -Why is Gravlex Only Refrigerated 24 to 36 hours? Not three -five days.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• Gravlax
      Gravlax

Total Time:
      24 hr 25 min
      Prep:
      25 min
      Inactive:
      24 hr

Yield:
      6 to 8 servings

Level:
      Intermediate

Ingredients

1 pound center-cut wild king salmon fillet, skin removed
      2 cups kosher salt
      2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
      1 tablespoon fennel seeds
      1 tablespoon coriander seeds
      1 tablespoon cracked white peppercorns
      1 cup packed light brown sugar
      2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
      1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from about 8 limes)
      Add Checked Items To Grocery List

Directions

Remove the bones. Run the back of a chef's knife along the surface of the salmon to help reveal any bones. Use tweezers to pull out the bones, dipping the tweezers in water so the bones slip off. Pat the salmon dry with paper towels and set aside.

Make the cure. Mix the salt, dill, fennel seeds, coriander, peppercorns and brown sugar in a bowl.

Prepare the onions. Toss the onions and lime juice in a medium nonreactive bowl.

Cure the salmon. Spread half of the salt mixture on a large sheet of plastic wrap, then top with half of the onions. Place the salmon on top. Spread the remaining onions and salt mixture on the salmon, making sure to put a little extra around the sides so the fish is completely covered. Wrap the salmon tightly in the plastic wrap. Place in a baking dish to catch any liquid that might leak. Refrigerate 24 to 36 hours.

Rinse and dry. Carefully remove the plastic wrap and discard it (there will be a lot of liquid). Reserve the onions to serve with the salmon. Rinse the salmon under cold water and pat dry.

Slice the gravlax. Use a carving knife to cut the salmon in half lengthwise.

Trim off any remaining dark flesh from the skin side of each piece. Slice on the bias as thinly as possible, wiping your knife with a cold damp towel between slices. To store, wrap the gravlax in plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 5 days.

Photograph by Penny De Los Santos

Recipe courtesy of Marc Forgione for Food Network Magazine

© 2017 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved.

Read more at: foodnetwork.com/recipes/marc-f…ax.print.html?oc=linkback
    • I hang out with a biology major, and she is working on her B.S. in biology at West Chester university. She is about 26 and cute as hell and a darn good friend. Her dad repairs computers in cars. There are some 26 microprocessors in a BMW today and that is how he makes his business. I too have a Amateur and radio background. Lots to talk about.
      Short version she lost it when I discussed making Gravlax. for the first time... all those pesky worms in the fish, an almost chicken little moment. Folk's eat Sushi with far more risk. Now that I said that Gravlax - if it has worms will be digested by most people without incident. Those with huge stomach issues and use drugs to comfort various issues are more at risk.

This is a typical posts...."Australia"
      Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:38 AM
      Hi
      We are putting together a Food Safety Plan for Gravlax production on a small scale. The plan has been rejected by the Food Authority, but no reason has been offered, except that it doesn't comply with the Food Standards Code (Australia). There are 4 Gravlax products and the process is very similar for each one, with a little variation in the ingredients. Basically, salmon is purchased pre-filleted and then cured with a salt and sugar mixture in the fridge for 3-4 days. Then, the flavourings are added and the product filled into plastic containers and refrigerated. Products are transported to customer in own vehicle in a cool box. Production is undertaken in a community kitchen on Sunday nights.
      We test for Listeria monocytogenes every 10 batches. We have identified the following hazards: microbiological contamination through cross contamination during product processing (hygiene of operator and equipment); pathogen presence on fish at receipt; temperature abuse of product and microbial growth post processing; temperature abuse of product and microbial growth during transport. CCPs are: purchase of salmon from reputable supplier (Supplier Approval program); temperature control post processing (<5C); temperature control and short distance to customers (<5C, less than 2 hours transport time).
      I realise it's difficult without seeing the actual plan, but have we missed anything obvious here?
      Thanks Nick
      Very average reply...
      Hi Nick
      3-4 day i fridge is not very precise , in order to obtain uniform salt/sugar % in finished product .. ?
      The listed CCP ´s have little to do with the production process ... Salt / sugar % & pH ?
      Temperature abuse is a key element working with fish .. true ... But keep in mind Listeria grows just fine below 5 C
      verify your shelf life with regards to listeria , on day 1 & end of shelf life
      1 test very 10 batch seems to be a VERY low frequency
      And anything obvious ...
      The project could by rejected by the Food Authority, because they dont want a highly listeria sensitive fish product in a community kitchen on Sunday nights
      The obvious risk could be to introduce listeria in the kitchen environment..
      Take care BR Nofish

OK gravlax isn't smoked
      for me its an opportunity to set the digital smoker when the smoke kicks in at 100° I can raise it to 160° and hold it for less than 2 hours. tThis changes cold smoking to Kippering ... Been there and done that.