Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Best top ten Survival gear in your opinion and what you are willing to carry.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I prefer to let my cuts dry out, for the same reason meat is preserved by drying. Bacteria need moisture to thrive.

But maybe I'm doing it wrong.
      Vaseline creates a barrier that keeps bacteria out of wounds.
      I thought that was what scabs were for. :P (just being an a-hole)
      No, you are making logical assumptions. Moisture from water, sweat, etc, can cause bacteria to grow in a wound so wounds should be washed and dried thoroughly, but Vaseline creates a barrier, as previously mentioned, that helps wound healing.

A wound moistened with Vaseline (as well as other products) heals faster and with less scarring than one allowed to dry and scab. Scabs, while also creating a barrier, delay healing.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My top ten, not including shelter, bag, clothing

Compass
      lighter
      Vaseline cotton balls
      Rope
      Absorbable hemostat
      Duct tape
      Knife
      Aspirin
      Benadryl
      Beeswax bar
      what do you recommend for the absorbable hemostat?
      I'm not sure what works best. Mine isn't available over the counter but pharmacies carry them in gauze and powder form.
      Of the following products (other then the styptic powder/sticks), any recommendations?

amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords…06&ref=pd_sl_3yfncna2w9_e
      I'd hate to steer anyone wrong but my preference is gauze rather than powder because you can manipulate it easier and poke it down into a deep wound.

Edit...sorry, you said other than powder so I didn't really answer your question. Logic rules out bandages...if you can put a bandaid on it, you probably don't need a hemostatic. I'd think any of the gauze products should be fine. I'll see if Trauma Monkeys has anything to say about it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I prefer to let my cuts dry out, for the same reason meat is preserved by drying. Bacteria need moisture to thrive.

No, you are making logical assumptions. Moisture from water, sweat, etc, can cause bacteria to grow in a wound so wounds should be washed and dried thoroughly, but Vaseline creates a barrier, as previously mentioned, that helps wound healing.
      A wound moistened with Vaseline (as well as other products) heals faster and with less scarring than one allowed to dry and scab. Scabs, while also creating a barrier, delay healing.
      that what my dermatologist tells me re the vaseline. she always gives me samples of aquaphor, but tells me vaseline works just as well.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

No, you are making logical assumptions. Moisture from water, sweat, etc, can cause bacteria to grow in a wound so wounds should be washed and dried thoroughly, but Vaseline creates a barrier, as previously mentioned, that helps wound healing.A wound moistened with Vaseline (as well as other products) heals faster and with less scarring than one allowed to dry and scab. Scabs, while also creating a barrier, delay healing.
      that what my dermatologist tells me re the vaseline. she always gives me samples of aquaphor, but tells me vaseline works just as well.
      yep, another excellent product is lansinoh breast cream.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

No, you are making logical assumptions. Moisture from water, sweat, etc, can cause bacteria to grow in a wound so wounds should be washed and dried thoroughly, but Vaseline creates a barrier, as previously mentioned, that helps wound healing.A wound moistened with Vaseline (as well as other products) heals faster and with less scarring than one allowed to dry and scab. Scabs, while also creating a barrier, delay healing.
      I hear runners of both sexes get sore nipples, but men are at greater risk for not wearing a bra (bro?).
    • To make my list of top-ten, essential, survival items, I pulled out my first aid kit/ditty bag.

It wasn't easy deciding what to list because I kept thinking that none of that stuff was really essential to survival except something to start a fire...and the more fire-making supplies for me, the better.

...oh and the compass, that stays on the list.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I hear runners of both sexes get sore nipples, but men are at greater risk for not wearing a bra (bro?).
      On my nobo lash from HF I saw a young guy with electrical tape in the shape of an X over each nipple and I thought how weird. A few days later I understood as they get chilled and your shirt and pack straps rub them it's sort of painful.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

True.

However guys like scars as they're conversation starters.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I've heard that Bag Balm is great stuff. Same idea, different species.
    • odd man out wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I've heard that Bag Balm is great stuff. Same idea, different species.

However similar application process.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I carry vaseline as an ointment and firestarter. An emergency whistle on my sternum strap. Leukotape for bandages and hot spots. Tenacious tape for gear repair. Aspirin for heart health. SAK Ambassador (same as the Classic, just a bit bigger mostly for scissors amd small blade). A dollar store car sunscreen (emergency sleeping pad if air mattress leaks, extra insulation if cold, reflector for signaling, pad to sit on, vestibule floor). Tick Twister for twisting ticks.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Compass
      lighter
      Vaseline cotton balls
      Rope
      Absorbance hemostat
      Duct tape
      Knife
      Aspirin
      Benadryl
      Beeswax bar
      Well - we are discussing a better choice than an overall simple list. A white Micro Bic is the choice of UL over a "lighter" Gorilla tape appears to be better than duct. Concrete string is UL and as or better than most over the counter rope. A small Leatherman holds its sharpness better than Wenger Swiss. Some Compasses today are useless the moment you take them home. For joint health OTC Aleve is awesome, for headaches caffeine and Aspirin may be better. I had hoped I had conveyed that this was what the tread was about.

So TJ what is the best compass for you if you got confused on or off the trail and there is no sun? What are you comfortable to carry, what works for you?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Compass
      lighter
      Vaseline cotton balls
      Rope
      Absorbance hemostat
      Duct tape
      Knife
      Aspirin
      Benadryl
      Beeswax bar
      Well - we are discussing a better choice than an overall simple list. A white Micro Bic is the choice of UL over a "lighter" Gorilla tape appears to be better than duct. Concrete string is UL and as or better than most over the counter rope. A small Leatherman holds its sharpness better than Wenger Swiss. Some Compasses today are useless the moment you take them home. For joint health OTC Aleve is awesome, for headaches caffeine and Aspirin may be better. I had hoped I had conveyed that this was what the tread was about.
      So TJ what is the best compass for you if you got confused on or off the trail and there is no sun? What are you comfortable to carry, what works for you?
      Sorry for not playing by your rules.

After my Iist, I nearly wrote, "thanks to this thread, several of those items are going to be upgraded." But didn't want to be too wordy.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Compass
      lighter
      Vaseline cotton balls
      Rope
      Absorbance hemostat
      Duct tape
      Knife
      Aspirin
      Benadryl
      Beeswax bar
      Well - we are discussing a better choice than an overall simple list. A white Micro Bic is the choice of UL over a "lighter" Gorilla tape appears to be better than duct. Concrete string is UL and as or better than most over the counter rope. A small Leatherman holds its sharpness better than Wenger Swiss. Some Compasses today are useless the moment you take them home. For joint health OTC Aleve is awesome, for headaches caffeine and Aspirin may be better. I had hoped I had conveyed that this was what the tread was about.So TJ what is the best compass for you if you got confused on or off the trail and there is no sun? What are you comfortable to carry, what works for you?
      Sorry for not playing by your rules.
      After my Iist, I nearly wrote, "thanks to this thread, several of those items are going to be upgraded." But didn't want to be too wordy.
      What rules - no rules, just a simple discussion. You are in control of friends, hikers both section and thru... go ahead be wordy - nobody would be upset. This is more about making better choices.. I had no idea gorilla tape would be a better choice prior to this thread. White micro bics - you can see how much fluid is left when held up tot he sun... I left that out by accident. Nothing wrong with sharing an opinion... bring it on! lets have some fun. 2 years ago someone mentioned bringing a rubber to carry water from the stream... doesn't make it wrong... odd yes... but it works for that guy.. not me. I prefer a disposable spring water bottle.

FYI - my purpose here is to drive threads, increase reads, make this website so much popular than this idiot...That's my diabolical plan to rule the internet... (a Joke)Once you read this delete this post please out of respect.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Compass
      lighter
      Vaseline cotton balls
      Rope
      Absorbance hemostat
      Duct tape
      Knife
      Aspirin
      Benadryl
      Beeswax bar
      Well - we are discussing a better choice than an overall simple list. A white Micro Bic is the choice of UL over a "lighter" Gorilla tape appears to be better than duct. Concrete string is UL and as or better than most over the counter rope. A small Leatherman holds its sharpness better than Wenger Swiss. Some Compasses today are useless the moment you take them home. For joint health OTC Aleve is awesome, for headaches caffeine and Aspirin may be better. I had hoped I had conveyed that this was what the tread was about.So TJ what is the best compass for you if you got confused on or off the trail and there is no sun? What are you comfortable to carry, what works for you?
      Sorry for not playing by your rules.After my Iist, I nearly wrote, "thanks to this thread, several of those items are going to be upgraded." But didn't want to be too wordy.
      What rules - no rules, just a simple discussion. You are in control of friends, hikers both section and thru... go ahead be wordy - nobody would be upset. This is more about making better choices.. I had no idea gorilla tape would be a better choice prior to this thread. White micro bics - you can see how much fluid is left when held up tot he sun... I left that out by accident. Nothing wrong with sharing an opinion... bring it on! lets have some fun. 2 years ago someone mentioned bringing a rubber to carry water from the stream... doesn't make it wrong... odd yes... but it works for that guy.. not me. I prefer a disposable spring water bottle.

FYI - my purpose here is to drive threads, increase reads, make this website so much popular than this idiot...That's my diabolical plan to rule the internet... (a Joke)Once you read this delete this post please out of respect.
      lighten up Fransis.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

meat wrote:

Cork screw for bears and wine, bears hate the sight of a cork screw.
      i think i used my cork screw a couple times on my thru and none since. there are plenty of "good enough for the woods" wine that comes with a screw top these days. at least good enough for my palate.
      yeah mostly it's a curtsey thing, kinda "is there a doctor in the house" cause when a cork needs pulling there is no substitute to the screw.
      It turns out there is a relatively easy way to remove a cork without a cork screw. This is shown with a stone wall. I've seen it done without the shoe on a tree trunk. Of course, who wants to carry around a tree.
      youtube.com/watch?v=u1wROm-OF9w
      Now that was valuable survival info....I had opportunity and need for that trick several times.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • meat wrote:

I just bring good old matches, keep em dry they'll last a good long time. Can't tell ya how many bic lighters I've toss for one reason or another. Not saying don't use a bic, but ya better have a back up plan.
      I always carry three forms of fire:bic, matches and swedish firesteel
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

I just bring good old matches, keep em dry they'll last a good long time. Can't tell ya how many bic lighters I've toss for one reason or another. Not saying don't use a bic, but ya better have a back up plan.
      I've been thinking about trying a firesteel, seems fail proof. Do you think a small leatherman knife will work with it?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

I've been thinking about trying a firesteel, seems fail proof. Do you think a small leatherman knife will work with it?
      yes, any piece of steel with an edge should work. Mine came with a striker steel lightmyfire.com/products/products/swedish-firesteel-20.aspx
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

I have a fire steal as well as a last resort or when it's super windy and my matches are being fussy.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

yes, any piece of steel with an edge should work. Mine came with a striker steel lightmyfire.com/products/products/swedish-firesteel-20.aspx
      Cool site, thanks for the link.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

I've used a Canadian (Coghlan's) p38 with a ferro cerium rod. After checking Wikipedia, I see that it is a P-51, not a P-38.

The post was edited 1 time, last by WanderingStovie ().

• Previously, on the ATC...

odd man out wrote:

I carry vaseline as an ointment and firestarter. An emergency whistle on my sternum strap. Leukotape for bandages and hot spots. Tenacious tape for gear repair. Aspirin for heart health. SAK Ambassador (same as the Classic, just a bit bigger mostly for scissors amd small blade). A dollar store car sunscreen (emergency sleeping pad if air mattress leaks, extra insulation if cold, reflector for signaling, pad to sit on, vestibule floor). Tick Twister for twisting ticks.
      I should have added a book of matches in a plastic bag to my list (mini-BIC backup). Also a nail clipper (I'm prone to ingrown toenails). That makes ten.

Most of these things go in what I call my BUMMER bag - acronym for Back-Up, Maintenance, Medical, Emergency, Repair. All those little things you feel you should carry but hope you don't have to use. If I have to get something this bag, it usually means something bad has happened, and that's a BUMMER.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

I've used a Canadian (Coghlan's) p38 with a ferro cerium rod. After checking Wikipedia, I see that it is a P-51, not a P-38.
      my John Wayne has been on my key ring since boot :D
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

If you also carry a spoon, you could save weight with a FRED.
    • CoachLou wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

I've probably already told this, if I have bear with me...guy goes into a store and asks for toilet paper, clerk tells him he has Charmin for $3.00 a roll, guy says too much, clerk says he has cheaper for $.50, guy buys 6 rolls...returns the next day and tells the clerk he's returning his John Wayne toilet paper, clerk asks him why he calls it John Wayne...guys says...it's rough, and it's tough and it don't take shyt off no body.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • CoachLou wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

meat wrote:

never know when you're gonna run across a faucet that needs fixin' :D
    • Drybones wrote:

I carry a bic and a bic back up.
      my Bic backup is an at least 60 year old Zippo. My late uncle carried it during an early Vietnam tour. Very durable and functional despite a dent created by a mortar fragment.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC