Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Valley Forge National Park today... In Winter....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Valley Forge National Park today... In Winter....

Yes it is cold outside! I am so lucky to be just a half hour from some of the best biking trails, hiking trails, and backwoods trails. From this park the Horseshoe connects thru the park to the AT and Philadelphia, They just built a new bike bridge to the Schuylkill Trail on the other side of the river. So I was there today during the storm to see the park in winter. As I walked around the lop I was wondering how really bad George Washington and his thousands of troops had to endure the winter so long ago.

They recently repaired the Redoubt which is a raised earth dam for protection of the troups closest to the education center, much has changed since the farmers stopped farming the land in the 50's and 60's This was a repair on the original location.

There is a lot of history here.

These huts are reproductions that sit on the original earthworks, the ground was dug up about a foot down to reduce frost and cold feet. There would have been a wood door. And it would have bunked 6-10 men! There were two of these here but one was burned down a few years ago by Juvenile delinquents. There is one hut on the other side of the park that appears to be an original, that the farmers left standing.

Just a nice view.

Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Thank you for posting this WOO. I have not been there yet myself, but I love historical places.

You might enjoy coming up this way someday to zoo the Patriot's Day reenactments of the massacre of patriots on Lexington Green, the Battle at the old North Bridge in Concord, and then the running battle as the Red Coats retreated back to Boston.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • One of the history teachers I know is a rabid participant in various reenactments ranging from the Alamo to Civil War battles. He says the worst role is being assigned as a fatality, especially early in the battle. He attempts to fall 'mortally wounded' under a shady tree.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Exploring the park in WInter last weekend.

Ashley tours the new Redoubt with the park rangers, with the high winds, and wind chill, this earthwork would protect the guards, even on the coldest days.The bulge in the middle kept the powder dry from the weather.

Here a "re-enactor" (she was there all day) puts together gunpowder charges next to the fire. The cabins with their firepits were toasty and smoke free. Odd to me as the fire is more inside the room than in the fireplace, hey it works!

(You can click on the images to make them larger)
      The cabins would keep 12 infantry men or 8 captains warm.
      Here is the real cannons

This covered bridge is on the west side of the park and was put back in service this year - last year a car accident destroyed the stone ramparts and the repairs were extensive.

Years ago I spotted this strange sight and most park visitors walk right past it and never really look. It took me ten minutes to re-find this important tree for my granddaughter. If you look carfully there is a brass knob on the left of the door. You see I told her this is where the Elves are and it requires elfven magic to open the door and right now they are sleeping.
      At night they make cookies for children and that will be our little secret.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• We went on our "Dora Adventure" & short walk and visited George Washington's Chapel on Sunday. I was educating Ashley about the church, quietly after service. She asked to go up to the Alter which was "off limits" due to the delicate wood carvings.

Because of how big the church is I didn't see one of the priests was sitting at the back, and he offered to give Ashley a "tour" of the alter.

john was very helpful explaining how this place of worship is very different with the Brass Shields in the floor, and militia carvings, on the walls and more shield decorations on the ceiling.

The stained & hand painted glass has pictures of George and his men.

In a side room next to the church was a collection of artifacts found by Metal Detector Groups.
      Cannon balls and Bayonets.

• The Washington Memorial Chapel was built as a tribute to General George Washington and the patriot soldiers of Valley Forge. The inspiration for the Chapel resulted from a sermon preached by our founder and first rector, the Rev. Dr. W. Herbert Burk, of Norristown, Pennsylvania.
      In June 1903 the cornerstone was laid on private property donated by the I. Heston Todd family. A small framed building preceded the present structure which became known as the Theodore Roosevelt Chapel, in honor of President Roosevelt, who visited the site in 1904. The Chapel was completed in 1917.
      Designed by Milton B. Medary, Jr., the Chapel was erected for two purposes. It is the home of an active parish as well as a national memorial to Washington and the Continental Army, welcoming visitors from all over the world and serving as a “wayside chapel” for those who visit Valley Forge National Historical Park.

wmchapel.org/heritage/