Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Connecting Larger Butane Bottle to your micro stove.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Connecting Larger Butane Bottle to your micro stove.

Found this by accident, not sure about the value, as most of us appear to be on alcohol stoves. I like them so long as they nest inside the pots. their clear advantage is higher heat and simmer capabilities. Part of the problem with Butane Canister's that I am sure most of us live with is:
      1. Price
      2. half empty bottles and what to do with them.
      3. Rust inside the pots between the pot and the fuel.
      4. Not able to recycle them, or refill.
      So here comes a few solutions - This little jem is under $12 and converts the emergency fuel cans used in earthquake area's to keep on cooking. They are also purchased and stored by preppers. simply attach your micro stove to the stabilizer. The cans can be purchased one at a time or by the case. The cans are very price competitive and no they don't nest inside the pots. Some prices were just above a $1 per can. There may be more information on the purchase site.

[IMG:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31dgvxrzPyL.jpg]

Where the cans can be purchased
      Where the can be purchased.
      Where the adapter can be purchased.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Found this by accident, not sure about the value, as most of us appear to be on alcohol stoves.
      not all of us!!! :)

i got 3 stoves and none of em all alcohol. although i'll admit to saving a couple fancy feast cans a couple years ago which are still sitting untouched in the garage. maybe one day i'll get around to experimenting (but i doubt it).
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Found this by accident, not sure about the value, as most of us appear to be on alcohol stoves.
      not all of us!!! :)
      i got 3 stoves and none of em all alcohol. although i'll admit to saving a couple fancy feast cans a couple years ago which are still sitting untouched in the garage. maybe one day i'll get around to experimenting (but i doubt it).
      Me either.
      Got 2 jet boils (Flash and Flash Lite) myself, and of course the old Coleman for car camping.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Here is another interesting idea - but you really should do this outside like I do, do not do this anywhere near the house. Please be safe! I have been refilling Propane Canisters for years. So to find an equivalent for Butane is exciting. No more $5 per bottle and long drives to REI! - "Yippe!"

Advantages -
      1. Refilling 1/2 used Butane nesting cans for under .75 cents per use.Refilling 1/2 used Butane nesting cans for under .75 cents per use.
      2. Refilling empty canisters,
      3. Removing any excess air/gas to allow more liquid in.
      4. Moving gas from one used container to another.
      PURCHASE HERE

[IMG:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71XfnxSHF3L._SY355_.jpg]
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

not all of us!!! :) i got 3 stoves and none of em all alcohol. although i'll admit to saving a couple fancy feast cans a couple years ago which are still sitting untouched in the garage. maybe one day i'll get around to experimenting (but i doubt it).
      Me either.Got 2 jet boils (Flash and Flash Lite) myself, and of course the old Coleman for car camping.
      Woah, that makes you two as old as me..... Cof124

Hope you like these ideas.
    • JimBlue wrote:

My stove uses white gas but can also burn propane. My relatives have several of the tall Coleman propane cans that work with their 2 burner stove. I was thinking of taking it with me as a backup stove for car camping.
      lol, when i car camp my backup stove is the "car" which i can drive to the nearest restaurant. :)
      2,000 miler
    • JimBlue wrote:

Cheaha. isn't close to anything except their own restaurant. Not cheap. And it's 22 miles from their camp store to the next store.

So I tend to stock up before I get there.
      gotcha.

i'm always thinking of the worst case scenario, but i gotta admit i've never brought 2 stoves.

i used to drive a mg midget in the pre cell phone era and i always kept a pair of running shoes and shorts in the trunk in case i had to hoof it somewhere. great car when it ran which wasn't always.
      2,000 miler
    • I saw one of those cars when I was in the Navy.

My whisper light clogged up last camping trip. That's why I was thinking of a second stove.

The propane cans my relatives have are unused but they have had them for years. My brother in law said we should clean and test the stove before I take it camping. I fully agreed.

I have been using Coleman white gas. The plastic bottle label says it has additives so it burns better. That might be the cause of the clogging. I want to find a local source of white gas other than Walmart to check this theory.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I saw one of those cars when I was in the Navy.

My whisper light clogged up last camping trip. That's why I was thinking of a second stove.

The propane cans my relatives have are unused but they have had them for years. My brother in law said we should clean and test the stove before I take it camping. I fully agreed.

I have been using Coleman white gas. The plastic bottle label says it has additives so it burns better. That might be the cause of the clogging. I want to find a local source of white gas other than Walmart to check this theory.
      Uh good luck I figured out in 1999 with the Ethanol in "regular" gas that there had to be more going on. After a plane accident with oxegenators transporting this stuff has to go by truck back in the day. So I stocked up I have 5 gallons of it in the basement. I have since learned it's 55 octane back then.

REI HERE
      Amazon HERE

• JimBlue wrote:

Doesn't it have the shaker jet to unclog it? Reread the instructions if you have them, and if you don't, they are HERE

JimBlue wrote:

I want to find a local source of white gas other than Walmart to check this theory.
      I get the quart of the fuel from a local REI for winter use in our MSR Simmerlite stove ever since I bought a gallon of Coleman fuel years back that had a lot of water in it. The quart is more than we use in a winter and I don't have to store a bigger can of the stuff at the house. We only use the white gas stove in cold weather.
    • LIhikers wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Doesn't it have the shaker jet to unclog it? Reread the instructions if you have them, and if you don't, they are HERE

JimBlue wrote:

I want to find a local source of white gas other than Walmart to check this theory.
      I get the quart of the fuel from a local REI for winter use in our MSR Simmerlite stove ever since I bought a gallon of Coleman fuel years back that had a lot of water in it. The quart is more than we use in a winter and I don't have to store a bigger can of the stuff at the house. We only use the white gas stove in cold weather.
      How did the water get into it?
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

How did the water get into it?
      I don't know.
      The water was in there when we bought it, evidently.
      It sure didn't burn very well in our car camping stove or our backpacking stove either.