Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The 2017 Total Solar Eclipse

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2 minutes 16 seconds of totality where I was.

It was very weird. About 2 minutes before totality, the birds started flying in different directions, failing to maintain flock and formation. Then, just as totality hit, I couldn't see it through the glasses....time to take them off............

Oh freaking wow. Wow. Wow. 2 minutes of just the most amazing spectacle. There weren't colors anymore, no contrasts, just weird washed out faded colors...like it was in a very bad photo...crickets chirping and then silence. All the creatures were confused and when confused, they shut up and stay put. The temp dropped from 93 to 82 degrees. There was a 360 degree sunrise/sunset on the horizon and everything else was black. Some planet to the right and low of the sun was clearly visible. Then it felt a little warm and put the glasses on just in time to see the bright white flare and it was over....

Except for the traffic jam. That was almost as surreal as the event. Two lane Illinois Route 4, normally a fast N-S road was creeping at 5mph in a 55mph...took back roads and gravel roads and finally to Interstate 255....then 20mph on a 65MPH Interstate for 30 freaking miles....it must have been like trying to get to Woodstock....a 1.5 hour drive took 4 hours...fook moi....

It was worth it. Totally worth it. My kids were totally amazed.
    • rhjanes wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Now is the time to stockpile eclipse glasses for the Texas to Maine 2024 event.
      I'm thinking to rent out our back yard (we are in the totality range and we have half an acre total) for tent pads. $1000 a night for a 10 by 10 area. Cash upfront and no refunds. Can use the hose for water. I might even unlock the shop where there is a toilet. $20 a minute too much for a shower? (I'll have to replace the 30 gallon heater first.....I'll get around to it....).
      How much for a 1'x 1' in the driveway? :D
    • uncle meat wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Now is the time to stockpile eclipse glasses for the Texas to Maine 2024 event.
      I'm thinking to rent out our back yard (we are in the totality range and we have half an acre total) for tent pads. $1000 a night for a 10 by 10 area. Cash upfront and no refunds. Can use the hose for water. I might even unlock the shop where there is a toilet. $20 a minute too much for a shower? (I'll have to replace the 30 gallon heater first.....I'll get around to it....).
      How much for a 1'x 1' in the driveway? :D
      I got lots of driveway......the one into the back yard / Shop is 160 feet long......
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • LIhikers wrote:

I got to see the partial eclipse through a welding helmet.
      Am I the only one who thought "so what?"
      I used a full welding helmet also. I think it depended on how much percentage was covered. We were around 80 percent. The 10 minutes either side of the full effect, the birds got quiet, light was sort of like 10 minutes before dusk. It was "neat" but not near worth the HOURS LONG!! OH MY!!! news coverage.....

I was in a full eclipse up in Alaska and that was "something". Even with us used to arctic summers and winters...
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Dan76 wrote:

Idaho residents capitalized in a similar fashion.
      There's still a steady flow of southbound traffic on I-15 this morning but at least it's moving. It was taking people upwards of three hours to make it from Idaho Falls down to Pocatello, yesterday evening. That's a 45 minute drive at best on a normal day. I wonder how many of the people who were consistently saying for days, leading up to the event that none of the predicted crowds had showed up, were enjoying the taste of their feet in their mouths.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • rhjanes wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I got to see the partial eclipse through a welding helmet.
      Am I the only one who thought "so what?"
      I used a full welding helmet also. I think it depended on how much percentage was covered. We were around 80 percent. The 10 minutes either side of the full effect, the birds got quiet, light was sort of like 10 minutes before dusk. It was "neat" but not near worth the HOURS LONG!! OH MY!!! news coverage.....
      I was in a full eclipse up in Alaska and that was "something". Even with us used to arctic summers and winters...
      I thought pretty much the same. It was kind of neat but not worth all the hype. I told a few people that it reminded me of a normal winter day in Alaska, just warmer. There was about the same amount of sun for about the same amount of time.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • I also used a welding helmet at first then switched to a pair of 'safe' glasses. However I went back to the helmet as I thought this glass was actually darker. Couldn't risk harming my eyesight.

Friends went to a prime viewing spot about three days ahead of the event and texted me they are starting the return trip this pm. They managed three days of hiking and camping in central Idaho prior to viewing the eclipse.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Let my 1pm class out for 5 minutes at the peak time for us. Probably actually burned at least 10-15 minutes by the time we got back. Being first day of class and that a lot of them had their glasses with them, made sense to make the most of it. 8)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • A few teachers in the local district had secured glasses for their students as the first day of school was the 20th. Other than these few fortunate students, most remained inside during the event.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • our public school system opted for safety over science. no one was permitted outside during the eclipse. the elementary students had their school day extended so that no one would be on the bus during the ride home or outside during the eclipse.

parents, of course, could sign their kids out early if they wanted.

all the kids at the largest private school were outside during the eclipse. the school purchased 1,000 glasses for 50 cents each (!) a year ago.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

our public school system opted for safety over science. no one was permitted outside during the eclipse. the elementary students had their school day extended so that no one would be on the bus during the ride home or outside during the eclipse.

parents, of course, could sign their kids out early if they wanted.

all the kids at the largest private school were outside during the eclipse. the school purchased 1,000 glasses for 50 cents each (!) a year ago.
      The PTA should have stepped up and ordered glasses.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

if i had 2 1/2 minutes with nothing else to do in the middle of the day i think i'd rather have sex than stare at the sun. that's just me, tho.
      particularly if such activity occurs as rarely as an eclipse. ;)

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Our school district cancelled classes. You only had to go 30 miles south to enter in the zone of totality. Go 20 more miles south and you were directly in the path of totality for almost 2.5 minutes.

I saw a shooting star explode once and thought that was the coolest ever. This blew that away by an order of magnitude.

I still want to know what planet was so damn bright in the lower right quadrant...Saturn?
    • max.patch wrote:

if i had 2 1/2 minutes with nothing else to do in the middle of the day i think i'd rather have sex than stare at the sun. that's just me, tho.
      It wasn't just about the sun. The wind died down, the temperature dropped, there was essentially sunset for 360 degrees on the horizon. You could see the shadow of the moon rapidly approach.

I went to NE Panhandle as the light pollution is among the least amount in the lower 48 and the terrain is vast and wide open.

Easily one of the best experiences of my life.
    • ScareBear wrote:

Our school district cancelled classes. You only had to go 30 miles south to enter in the zone of totality. Go 20 more miles south and you were directly in the path of totality for almost 2.5 minutes.

I saw a shooting star explode once and thought that was the coolest ever. This blew that away by an order of magnitude.

I still want to know what planet was so damn bright in the lower right quadrant...Saturn?
      popularmechanics.com/space/sol…ring-total-solar-eclipse/

Most likely a star.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Our school district cancelled classes. You only had to go 30 miles south to enter in the zone of totality. Go 20 more miles south and you were directly in the path of totality for almost 2.5 minutes.

popularmechanics.com/space/sol…ring-total-solar-eclipse/
      Most likely a star.
      Looks like it was Sirius. Wow. How freaking cool is THAT?
    • Our school district cancelled classes. You only had to go 30 miles south to enter in the zone of totality. Go 20 more miles south and you were directly in the path of totality for almost 2.5 minutes.

ScareBear wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

popularmechanics.com/space/sol…ring-total-solar-eclipse/Most likely a star.
      Looks like it was Sirius. Wow. How freaking cool is THAT?
      sirius is cool. i have it in my element.
      2,000 miler
    • ScareBear wrote:

It's all about perception....
      i used to have a perception that i eventually gave to a college for student use -- i was convinced i was gonna kill myself in that thing if i kept it long enough. nothing wrong with the boat -- the user wasn't very talented. class 3 was it for me -- i was never gonna be able to do the ocoee or other big water. i could paddle the nantahala -- and did just about every other weekend for a couple years -- but that was my limit.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

i used to have a perception that i eventually gave to a college for student use -- i was convinced i was gonna kill myself in that thing if i kept it long enough. nothing wrong with the boat -- the user wasn't very talented. class 3 was it for me -- i was never gonna be able to do the ocoee or other big water. i could paddle the nantahala -- and did just about every other weekend for a couple years -- but that was my limit.
      Nantahala, Is that the river they use for the Olympics that runs between Cleveland, TN and Ducktowon on US64? If it is, the BMT also crosses it.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Nantahala, Is that the river they use for the Olympics that runs between Cleveland, TN and Ducktowon on US64? If it is, the BMT also crosses it.
      no, that's the ocoee that was used during the 96 atlanta olympics. i was able to attend one day. i've rafted the ocoee with a commercial outfitter a couple times -- but no way could i paddle it solo.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

no, that's the ocoee that was used during the 96 atlanta olympics. i was able to attend one day. i've rafted the ocoee with a commercial outfitter a couple times -- but no way could i paddle it solo.
      OK. So, you are probably real familiar with the NOC. I remember it best for having the first restaurant that was right on the AT. :)
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

OK. So, you are probably real familiar with the NOC. I remember it best for having the first restaurant that was right on the AT. :)
      good food too!!

i guess you're not counting the frozen pizza and burgers you can get at mountain crossings. :)

edit to add: or all the hot dogs you can get from the trail feeds at every road crossing in GA in march and april.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

good food too!!
      i guess you're not counting the frozen pizza and burgers you can get at mountain crossings. :)
      I did a hike on the MTS Trail a few months back and stopped at the NOC on the way home to have the same meal I had had there before to see how it compared...no comparison...just not the same, having hiked from Springer made all the difference in the world...second time round it was just another cheeseburger, fries and beer.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • max.patch wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

I've got a Perception Pescador 12 footer. Works for the waters/oceans I use it on. But, it's a sit atop, so it has it's limitations...