Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2017 Hikers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2017 Hikers

if mountain crosssing's story is true this guy needs a new trail name.

This is NOBO Sam! He started January 1st and is famous around here for snowboarding down Blood Mountain, and recently running up the mountain to deliver Aspirin to a man having a heart attack! He saved his life! Sam is only 18 but has a full spirit. We have no doubt he'll make it to Maine! Good luck Sam!#mountaincrossings #at2017 #thruhike#bloodmountain

[IMG:https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15871839_1384950734872840_7832098940508997340_n.jpg?oh=36ee8d62091dc6c8d856d4e861f64b4d&oe=58D724D0]
      2,000 miler
    • One of my buddies used to go bunk-to-bunk at our hunting cabin on Saturday morning, delivering Aspirin and Cokes. His cabin-name was Dr. Feelgood.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • TrafficJam wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

I don't take Vitamin I, but I always take some aspirin with me just in case.
      You probably know this but you should chew it first then swallow...and know what dosage you carry. I carry 81mg so will give/take 4 tabs.
      I did not, but it makes sense. Thanks for the heads up TJ
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I don't take Vitamin I, but I always take some aspirin with me just in case.
      Scotty, I like your signature, it reminds me of something I heard once...don't recall where or who said it, but it went something like this.

"Inaction is the ruination of man"

which I think about when finding myself procrastinating over something, or composing a letter in my head that'll never get sent least I follow through. :)

Curious about where my quote came from and not letting inaction get the best of me this time, I looked it up. The closest I could find was this...apparently a Ed Abbey quote, perhaps out of "Desert Solitaire"

Although it say "sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul"

en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Edward_Abbey

The post was edited 2 times, last by Socks ().

• LIhikers wrote:

Kathy insists that I carry some aspirin, just in case
      As far back as anyone can remember, men in my father's family have died of heart attacks in their early fifties. At 64 that puts me on overtime. :huh:
      When I was 16, my father died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 49. When I reached my forties I found myself growing increasingly cautious, not hiking so much or pushing myself even though I have no known cardiovascular issues. That was no way to live.

Now every morning I wake up feels like an unexpected gift. I try to make the most of every day and I do not worry so much about the consequences anymore. If I drop dead I would rather do it on a beautiful mountain peak than behind a desk. I am incredibly grateful for all I've been blessed with in this life. Everything going forward is icing on the cake.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
      1. I can relate.I have a kind of AFIB but I don't let it stop me from doing anything- anything except having too much caffeine. I have come to realize how short life really is and live life to the fullest. Don't know why that 1 popped up and I can't make it go away on my dumb smart phone.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • this is 80 y/o dale sanders who a year ago finished thru paddling the mississippi (the oldest person to do so). this year he is going to attempt to thru hike.

his thru hike plan was to "start" on jan 1 and then return when the weather improved. he had a film screening on jan 14 that he need to be at. looks like he started on jan 1 as scheduled and hiked the 1 mile from springer to the parking lot. someone on facebook posted that he returned to the trail yesterday but i have no other verification of this. the dog is not coming on the trip. sounds humble; on his FB says says he is going to "attempt to hike" and "chances to complete in 2017 are slim".

[IMG:https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15873507_1550633284966585_4021133451060487996_n.jpg?oh=d1e3765624b47769bf320d89946da10c&oe=58D78087]
      2,000 miler
    • I mentioned to my sister yesterday about taking up roller skating. I'm not sure what kind of roller skating she thought I was going to do, standing up on skates, not falling down, and going around in a circle seemed about it to me... but she said something about if I broke my hip she wasn't going to lift me into the tub. I got the distinct impression thats why she doesn't want me hiking either. Worried about severe injury.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • when my son's were younger i roller skated with them at the rink. didn't really think it was a lot of fun...but it beat just sitting around and watching.

dale sanders fell down and didn't break his hip. :)

(my mom fell twice and broke her hip. about 20 years apart. that's something you really want to avoid.)

2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Looks like I'll be a 2017 hiker... gif.014.gif

My last AT hike of any distance was in 2011. Due to some family stuff (mostly medical), I've been unable to get time to do any sections. This looks like the year!

It's short for planning, but my sister (who is coming from Fl) and I will be starting at Delaware Water Gap NOBO and seeing how far we can go in 11 days on the trail. We'll meet in NYC on April 1 and have 'til April 12.

So far, I've done from Rockfish Gap in VA to Swatara State Park in PA. And both of us have done some treks at Philmont with Boy Scouts (way different practices at Philmont).

So, I'm open to any suggestions, comments or snide remarks... gif.014.gif gif.014.gif gif.014.gif gif.014.gif

Can you tell I'm excited?
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

Looks like I'll be a 2017 hiker... gif.014.gif

My last AT hike of any distance was in 2011. Due to some family stuff (mostly medical), I've been unable to get time to do any sections. This looks like the year!

It's short for planning, but my sister (who is coming from Fl) and I will be starting at Delaware Water Gap NOBO and seeing how far we can go in 11 days on the trail. We'll meet in NYC on April 1 and have 'til April 12.

So far, I've done from Rockfish Gap in VA to Swatara State Park in PA. And both of us have done some treks at Philmont with Boy Scouts (way different practices at Philmont).

So, I'm open to any suggestions, comments or snide remarks... gif.014.gif gif.014.gif gif.014.gif gif.014.gif

That's awesome! gif.004.gif
      Lost in the right direction.
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

If I remember correctly there's bus service from NYC to DWG.
      Here's some details from the NY/NJ Trail Conference web site.
      Hope this helps..............
      Martz Trailways (800-233-8604 or www.martztrailways.com) provides frequent non-stop express bus service daily from New York PABT to Stroudsburg/Delaware Water Gap. From the Martz bus station, walk down the street (Main Street / Rt 611 South) into the Village of Delaware Water Gap and proceed to crosswalk marked "Appalachian Trail." This leads to the pedestrian walkway over the I-80 bridge crossing the Delaware River. The AT leads to the welcome center for the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area on the New Jersey side of the river. Here, in addition to the AT, there is access to the Mt. Tammany Trail, with links to many other trails in Worthington State Forest.
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

Do you have a plan of one of you has to bail?

The reason I ask is there was a guy on TOS a few years ago who planned to hike in the Smokies with his aunt. She shows up out of shape and after hiking for an hour, says she can't do it and needs to turn around. They ended up driving to Fontana and he did a day hike. I think he was pretty disappointed.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

The reason I ask is there was a guy on TOS a few years ago who planned to hike in the Smokies with his aunt. She shows up out of shape and after hiking for an hour, says she can't do it and needs to turn around. They ended up driving to Fontana and he did a day hike. I think he was pretty disappointed.
      He should have done a better job interviewing potential hiking partners.
    • LIhikers wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

If I remember correctly there's bus service from NYC to DWG.Here's some details from the NY/NJ Trail Conference web site.
      Hope this helps..............
      Martz Trailways (800-233-8604 or www.martztrailways.com) provides frequent non-stop express bus service daily from New York PABT to Stroudsburg/Delaware Water Gap. From the Martz bus station, walk down the street (Main Street / Rt 611 South) into the Village of Delaware Water Gap and proceed to crosswalk marked "Appalachian Trail." This leads to the pedestrian walkway over the I-80 bridge crossing the Delaware River. The AT leads to the welcome center for the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area on the New Jersey side of the river. Here, in addition to the AT, there is access to the Mt. Tammany Trail, with links to many other trails in Worthington State Forest.
      Thanks for the info. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I've been doing a fair amount of cyberhiking the past few years. That includes "how do I get there from here and how do I get back" :P . I should have been more specific in some of the plans we have, but I was a bit excited. I've also planned treks to Philmont for the Boy Scouts for the past 10 years, so I'm a bit OCD on the travel part. I can almost do it in my sleep if it's just for me...

We're planning on meeting at the Port Authority Bus Station for the Martz bus to DWG. I get there via Amtrak (to Penn Stn) from WV and she gets there from whatever airport. Hike north until about April 11 to get back to NYC by very early on the 12th - Amtrak leaves NYP at 645AM. She'll shuttle to whatever airport and then home. It makes for a good section for both of us.

I've got the AT maps and the latest Companion, so bailouts shouldn't be a problem. I'm just hoping for not much rain!

My original plan was to do Duncannon to DWG, but I couldn't see inflicting the PA rocks on anyone.

The post was edited 2 times, last by EdDzierzak ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

Thanks for the concern. Yes, bailout is ALWAYS an option. Maps, Companion, cell phone and extra batteries. OCD about planning but once at the trailhead it's time to relax. Pre-planned bailouts are helpful when PooFan Until then, the plan is there, just dormant. BTW, my sister is probably in better shape than I am. We both led a 70 mile trek at Philmont back in June.

We're both looking forward to hiking without the extra stuff required at Philmont. I understand why they do what they do, but I certainly don't have to do it their way when I'm out on my own.
    • Astro wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

We're both looking forward to hiking without the extra stuff required at Philmont. I understand why they do what they do, but I certainly don't have to do it their way when I'm out on my own
      Just curious, what all extra stuff does Philmont require?
      It's a bit different from our way of thinking. It's a BSA camp so a trek (7-12 hikers) are expected to work as a patrol (one of the Boy Scout methods). Also, Philmont runs backcountry treks in the main season (early June to mid-August) totaling about 22,000 hikers. They have no way of knowing, in advance, the skill level of the trekkers. Therefore, procedures are set up to be bomb-proof for even newbies. Crews can prove expertise once they get there, but most "group" gear load out is the same. In addition to the usual personal gear (clothing, pack, shelter, eating and water stuff, rain gear, etc), crews are expected to bring 2 stoves (white gas or canister), extra water containers (there are some dry camps), water filter, and some other misc stuff. Gear issued at Philmont includes: 12x12 dining fly (poles optional if someone brings hiking poles), 2 8qt pots for cooking and cleaning, pot tongs, large spoon, spatula, camp suds, micropur tabs, bear bag rope (2 x 100'), and bear bags. Food is also issued, every 3rd or 4th day. The only reason to bring your own is religious dietary or allergy reasons. While the food packed is a lot like what we'd normally bring, there is a lot. A three-day food draw for a 12-person crew is big. It usually will fill 3 or 4 feed sacks. Each meal pack is for 2 people. So, 9 meals (3 days x 3 meals) x 6 meal packs = 54 meal packs. It's fun watching the bear bag drill at the end of the day. The whole crew gets to help. One help Philmont provides is bear cables at every campsite. Usually a steel cable between two trees about 20-30' up.

Granted, some of the required stuff is what we would normally use, but you can't leave base camp without most of the items listed. For example, you can bring your own tarp. You must use the Philmont-issued bear ropes.

Many have tried to argue that this or that is unnecessary, but it's their camp, gotta use their rules. For the most part, I have no problem with that. Again, most of their procedures are there for a reason. I'm happy to comply with their procedures. Consider - 22,000 campers over a 10 week season on a 137,000 acre ranch. BTW, they had their 1,000,000th (yes, million) hiker in 2010.

Philmont Guidebook to Adventure pages 18-23 have the Philmont Personal and Crew gear lists. Definitely not in the ultra-light category, though crews who are experienced can bring most of their own lightweight gear.

I'd be happy to go on and on, but this is likely a subject of limited interest.

The post was edited 1 time, last by EdDzierzak ().

• I went to the Philmont Training Center (think adult Scout training) in 1999 and tried to drag them along - no go. Then, in 2002, it was their idea. It made the difference. I went with both of them in 2002 and 2004. I began the trip planning for our Council in 2006. Younger son went with me in 06, 08, 10 and 12. He went as staff in 14 and met us at Schaffers Pass with his friends. My last trek was last summer. I'm getting a bit too old for the mountains carrying a pack. Now I'm planning a Seabase trip for the Council for 2018. Gonna love sitting on a sail boat for a week!
    • I know for regular Scout troop weekend camping we had to have a troop first aid kit. Each patrol had a first aid kit. The scout master and some of the older scouts carried extra food in case one of the kids misread their food plan or the packaging.

I remember one time a kid didn't see the phrase serving suggestion. He thought the box of hamburger helper had meat in the box. The box wasn't in the refrigerated section of the store.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • My son in law is a scoutmaster in Delware. When he joined me for a week on the PA section of the AT in June 2011, his pack weighed 57 pounds, and he had a resupply in the trunk of his car 4 days away. The boys, Alex 13 yrs. was hauling 35, Colin 17 yrs had 45 pounds. I had given them a copy of "Lighten Up" for Christmas but it didn't work. I had a max weight of 32 pounds with a bearcan and a weeks worth of food. The following year they joined me for a weekend in June in VA and they were still over 30 pounds for one night. Boy Scouts must be prepared for anything I guess.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

My son in law is a scoutmaster in Delware. When he joined me for a week on the PA section of the AT in June 2011, his pack weighed 57 pounds, and he had a resupply in the trunk of his car 4 days away. The boys, Alex 13 yrs. was hauling 35, Colin 17 yrs had 45 pounds. I had given them a copy of "Lighten Up" for Christmas but it didn't work. I had a max weight of 32 pounds with a bearcan and a weeks worth of food. The following year they joined me for a weekend in June in VA and they were still over 30 pounds for one night. Boy Scouts must be prepared for anything I guess.
      The problem in Scouts comes from leadership training or lack of. If all the leaders only know car camping & a pack s just used to transport equipment to a campsite weight doesn't matter much. Plus the BSA pushes all this neat patrol size (8 people) gear sets. Utensil sets with ladle. serving spoon. slotted sering spoon, spatula, etc. All made in heavy duty metal & has a nice roll up balistic nylon pouch that will withstand years of any abuse the boys can subject it to. Same with cook sets. 10 Qt down to one that all nest with encompassed frypan lids.

When I first moved to Nantucket & was starting with the troop their they decided to plan a bacpacking trip to VA. I tried to get them to do meal planning a little better & figure out what they needed. They decided it would be easier to just bring both the above mentioned kits. Due to travel weather problems(storm that stoped a few ferry trips) I arrived late at the trailhead after they had already started. I soon caught up with them.

Camp that night soon pointed out their mistakes. To save weight they only had one gas stove for eight of them, they planned on doing some cooking on the fire. They decided not to bring a saw to save weight. I was running self contained & was holding off being new to the troop , & finnally decided it was time to step forward. Out came Sven saw. then lesson on fire building in a damp enviroment & how to baton split wood with a knife. As the Scoutmaster later said: I had the smallest pack. yet every time they found they were lacking I would have something for that. I thik the thing that really emphasized my point was after the kids had gone to bed & his Assistand said he was getting chilly. I said, "I have something for that" & pulled a flask of Wild Turkey out.

After that planning got a whole lot better & only things needed were brought. It was a good learning experience & a lesson learned by the older boys that went on the trip taught they yonger ones. & Tht is what Scouting is about to me. Teaching them to learn from their mistakes & to become leaders to pass that information on.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

My son in law is a scoutmaster in Delware. When he joined me for a week on the PA section of the AT in June 2011, his pack weighed 57 pounds, and he had a resupply in the trunk of his car 4 days away. The boys, Alex 13 yrs. was hauling 35, Colin 17 yrs had 45 pounds. I had given them a copy of "Lighten Up" for Christmas but it didn't work. I had a max weight of 32 pounds with a bearcan and a weeks worth of food. The following year they joined me for a weekend in June in VA and they were still over 30 pounds for one night. Boy Scouts must be prepared for anything I guess.
      The problem in Scouts comes from leadership training or lack of. If all the leaders only know car camping & a pack s just used to transport equipment to a campsite weight doesn't matter much. Plus the BSA pushes all this neat patrol size (8 people) gear sets. Utensil sets with ladle. serving spoon. slotted sering spoon, spatula, etc. All made in heavy duty metal & has a nice roll up balistic nylon pouch that will withstand years of any abuse the boys can subject it to. Same with cook sets. 10 Qt down to one that all nest with encompassed frypan lids.
      When I first moved to Nantucket & was starting with the troop their they decided to plan a bacpacking trip to VA. I tried to get them to do meal planning a little better & figure out what they needed. They decided it would be easier to just bring both the above mentioned kits. Due to travel weather problems(storm that stoped a few ferry trips) I arrived late at the trailhead after they had already started. I soon caught up with them.

Camp that night soon pointed out their mistakes. To save weight they only had one gas stove for eight of them, they planned on doing some cooking on the fire. They decided not to bring a saw to save weight. I was running self contained & was holding off being new to the troop , & finnally decided it was time to step forward. Out came Sven saw. then lesson on fire building in a damp enviroment & how to baton split wood with a knife. As the Scoutmaster later said: I had the smallest pack. yet every time they found they were lacking I would have something for that. I thik the thing that really emphasized my point was after the kids had gone to bed & his Assistand said he was getting chilly. I said, "I have something for that" & pulled a flask of Wild Turkey out.

After that planning got a whole lot better & only things needed were brought. It was a good learning experience & a lesson learned by the older boys that went on the trip taught they yonger ones. & Tht is what Scouting is about to me. Teaching them to learn from their mistakes & to become leaders to pass that information on.
      Ditto on all of the above.

I'm always amused when one of the devout Mormon Scout leaders enquires on whether I'm carrying any 'snakebite antidote' . By the time the flask returns to me, it's empty.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC