Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Information on making salt water fresh for hiking at the shore.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Information on making salt water fresh for hiking at the shore.

I like going to the beach and kayaking the back bays, but I end up hauling all the water for the trip in the back of the kayak. I end up with two bladders of water. Making a stay on a island for a week impractical. (catching fish etc.) So over the years I keep looking for an affordable practical small water still. I have been thinking that an aluminum portable set of nesting pots would be the way to go. And Kenneth Kramm has been working on this idea too. But I think we need to improve some of the ideas. So here is where some folks got to this year.

Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • When returning you can clean those bottles out by boiling vinegar and then water.

From our experiments from alcohol stoves we learned wider is better - I am looking at a nesting pot that can be clamped down for dirty water and a nesting pot for the copper chiller.
    • WOO:

After viewing the referenced video, may I recommend the following?

From past observations of stills in action (locations remained undisclosed), suggest inclining the condensing coil at an upwards angle by placing the collection container higher than the boiling container. Thereby escaping H2O droplets will return to the heat source, revaporize, and further reduce potential contamination of the collection vessel.

Additionally this procedure will allow more rapid boiling thereby decreasing the amount of time necessary for purification.

As for a heat source, several high production still units utilized a series of rocket stoves to better direct heat, reduce fuel requirements, and minimize smoke signatures.

If you often kayak to a specific location, suggest dedicating one trip for transport 10 to 12 common bricks for rocket stove construction at such sites. Upon departure, cach the bricks to ensure availability upon return. There are several stealth sites in the Pacific NW with cached bricks.
      :D

If frequenting multiple locations, suggest either building a break down sheet metal rocket stove or consider acquiring such an unit. As you may know, the fabled rocket stove produces concentrated heat with minimal fuel consumption.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC

The post was edited 2 times, last by Dan76 ().

• Hey that is really helpful but my plan incorporates a twig fire and Qwiz's Ti wood stoves as I have two. I like the bricks - might use the 1" flats for a hearth. I go to different islands each time. ** When Qwiz's fire is fired up - there isn't much smoke!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• Wise Old Owl wrote:

Hey that is really helpful but my plan incorporates a twig fire and Qwiz's Ti wood stoves as I have two. I like the bricks - might use the 1" flats for a hearth. I go to different islands each time.
      A hearth will enable a site to remain stealthy.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I'm not sure that having a condensing coil slant upwards is necessary for desalination. This is a reflux condenser and gives better separation of volatile substances. This would be good if you are purifying alcohol or getting rid of organic contaminants. But the salts you are removing in desalination have no vapor pressure so a simple distillation set up would be more efficient. As long as the only water that makes into the condensing tube is water vapor, you should be fine. The trick is cooling the condeser. This would limit the rate you can collect water.
    • I have pulled out some old Aluminum pots from BS days and will install a coil into the smaller pot, so it will nest well in the pack. I understand there is a high temperature gasket seal at Pep Boys I can pick up for the two holes I plan to make. The tough part is identifying the type of nipple to the lid to get the steam out.

Odd man out - is that the Wisconsin Dells in your avatar?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().