Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Being Safe on the AT - Weapon Safety

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drybones wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

I went to a local range since ladies shoot for free on Monday, minus the rental-gun fee and ammo.. I was very nervous and jumpy, probably not a good thing when shooting a gun.

The first one was a Glock 42 (a 380) and it was all wrong for me. The recoil made it difficult to hit the target at 15 feet. All my shots were in the throat or above the head. It jammed on the third round which slightly freaked me out. I had to go find help. Then it jammed again and again had to summon help. The second time, I admitted how I really disliked the gun so he brought me another one.

The second one was a Bersa 380. It was much better as far as accuracy. It jammed also but I cleared it myself. The range guy said I wasn’t being deliberate enough when squeezing the trigger.

They have a Glock 43 available to rent so that will be my next trial. I also plan to try a revolver. They didn’t have any LCP380’s.

Dang, it’s expensive to go to the range. But it will have to become (at least) a monthly routine to stay comfortable with shooting.
      Jamming issues may be the ammo and not the gun, had that problem before. I find most of the small purse/pocket guns just don't feel like real guns, I have a Bersa that's in one of the vehicles, IMO it's about as good as you can get in a small caliber handgun.
      Aye, had some chrome plated rounds that always jammed my .22 lever action
      Marlin...brass cartridges were fine. Real pain in the arse to clear.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

DB makes a good point about the ammo. The range might be using cheap ammo. Never buy bargain ammo. Stick with good quality brand name ammo. Cheap crap will misfire and it will dirty up your barrel alot quicker.
      You got me cheap ammo has less grainy vs tight pellet gunpowder. The gunpowder is more dusty perfect for practices.. Less velocity. Help me understand your post please.

Uh I will ask a similar question on a gun thread.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

DB makes a good point about the ammo. The range might be using cheap ammo. Never buy bargain ammo. Stick with good quality brand name ammo. Cheap crap will misfire and it will dirty up your barrel alot quicker.
      You got me cheap ammo has less grainy vs tight pellet gunpowder. The gunpowder is more dusty perfect for practices.. Less velocity. Help me understand your post please.

It will misfire/jam for various reasons. Cheap metal, machine tolerances, I've even had waxy 22s that just plain gummed up the barrel. It's not worth it. If I ever need to pull that trigger in self defense, I'm going to hear a bang not a click.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

It will misfire/jam for various reasons. Cheap metal, machine tolerances, I've even had waxy 22s that just plain gummed up the barrel. It's not worth it. If I ever need to pull that trigger in self defense, I'm going to hear a bang not a click.
      cliques are a horrible fact if life. :D
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Same here....but we do need a plan B if it does click.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Jake Ace wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

I went to a local range since ladies shoot for free on Monday, minus the rental-gun fee and ammo.. I was very nervous and jumpy, probably not a good thing when shooting a gun.

The first one was a Glock 42 (a 380) and it was all wrong for me. The recoil made it difficult to hit the target at 15 feet. All my shots were in the throat or above the head. It jammed on the third round which slightly freaked me out. I had to go find help. Then it jammed again and again had to summon help. The second time, I admitted how I really disliked the gun so he brought me another one.

The second one was a Bersa 380. It was much better as far as accuracy. It jammed also but I cleared it myself. The range guy said I wasn’t being deliberate enough when squeezing the trigger.

They have a Glock 43 available to rent so that will be my next trial. I also plan to try a revolver. They didn’t have any LCP380’s.

Dang, it’s expensive to go to the range. But it will have to become (at least) a monthly routine to stay comfortable with shooting.
      Jamming issues may be the ammo and not the gun, had that problem before. I find most of the small purse/pocket guns just don't feel like real guns, I have a Bersa that's in one of the vehicles, IMO it's about as good as you can get in a small caliber handgun.
      Aye, had some chrome plated rounds that always jammed my .22 lever actionMarlin...brass cartridges were fine. Real pain in the arse to clear.
      I have one of those Marlin lever actions, good shooting gun, it's about time to give it to the grand son but doubt he would get much out of it. At 6 years old his dad has him out at the range popping off shots from a rifle with 50 round clip making noise. IMO, the first gun a kid should have after the BB gun is a single shot 22, should learn to hit something rather than just slinging lead. The single shot with shorts is still my preference for squirrel hunting...we need to remember it's called hunting, not killing.
    • Drybones wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

Aye, had some chrome plated rounds that always jammed my .22 lever actionMarlin...brass cartridges were fine. Real pain in the arse to clear.
      I have one of those Marlin lever actions, good shooting gun, it's about time to give it to the grand son but doubt he would get much out of it. At 6 years old his dad has him out at the range popping off shots from a rifle with 50 round clip making noise. IMO, the first gun a kid should have after the BB gun is a single shot 22, should learn to hit something rather than just slinging lead. The single shot with shorts is still my preference for squirrel hunting...we need to remember it's called hunting, not killing.
      You got that right!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

All that jamming is why jimmyjam prefers revolvers.By the way, when an auto jams or any gun misfires wait a full minute before attempting to clear it and keep it pointed in a safe direction. I had an auto jam/misfire on me and the shell went off at the 30 second mark.
      It was very stressful because the range dude told me not to ring the bell for assistance unless it was a medical emergency. So, when the gun jams, I don’t know what to do. I wait 30 seconds then lay it down, pointing down range and just stand there. I didn’t think it was okay to leave a firearm unattended to go get help. I get stressed when I feel uncertain.
      A young guy shooting a few lanes down saw me standing there and when to get help. Then it happens again. Ugh. By the third time, I was over it. It was scary to clear it myself but did it anyway. Maybe I need another basic class. ?(
      ‘. Maybe I need another basic class. ‘

More likely, a better instructor.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

All that jamming is why jimmyjam prefers revolvers.By the way, when an auto jams or any gun misfires wait a full minute before attempting to clear it and keep it pointed in a safe direction. I had an auto jam/misfire on me and the shell went off at the 30 second mark.
      It was very stressful because the range dude told me not to ring the bell for assistance unless it was a medical emergency. So, when the gun jams, I don’t know what to do. I wait 30 seconds then lay it down, pointing down range and just stand there. I didn’t think it was okay to leave a firearm unattended to go get help. I get stressed when I feel uncertain.A young guy shooting a few lanes down saw me standing there and when to get help. Then it happens again. Ugh. By the third time, I was over it. It was scary to clear it myself but did it anyway. Maybe I need another basic class. ?(
      For sure. I suppose I could grab some range time with Bo Peep on my way to Hot Springs in late March...lolol....
    • Dan76 wrote:

Accompanied a lady friend (a LEO) to a gun shop a while back, not that she needed my advice. However waiting for several minutes for service, she motioned for me to join her at the counter. Almost immediately we were approached by a salesman intent upon providing service to me. Despite my assurances she was the customer, he continued to address me. She than casually flashed her badge and told the sales guy he just lost a sale as we departed.

Bo Peep wrote:

Somehow in my sporadic visits, I have completely missed this thread until now.

I have had both experiences in gun stores as a woman. I have noticed that 90% of the time if I'm with my husband, he ALWAYS gets attention first. Some of that I attribute to the fact that he's 6'3" and I'm 5'2". He's a big, noticeable guy. Sometimes it bothers me but most times, I just find it amusing to let them believe that I'm a dumb girl to see what kind of crap they will finally spew my way when they notice me. Other times, I've been in really good, really professional stores that were extremely helpful and treated me the way any customer should be treated.

To Bo Peep - from a small female perspective here, regarding the jamming issue. In the past I have had issues with "stove piping", which is where the empty cartridge doesn't fully eject out of the chamber, causing the next round to jam. I actually have more problems with my compact than with any of my husband's full sized pistols. I won't get in to barrel length and kick and all of that. What I found was that I was basically limp wrisiting the gun after a few rounds without realizing it. I had to learn to adjust my grip and aim just slightly. There are many helpful resources on Google and Youtube, should you want to look at them.

Keep up with what you're doing. It gets less intimidating.

Also, I almost never carry while hiking. So far I haven't had issues with people that would cause me to want to carry with regularity and in some of the places I've lived, I didn't have anything of a high enough caliber that it would have stopped the animals I would have encountered. I adapted to carrying bear spray in a chest rig while in Alaska. My .40 isn't likely to drop an Alaskan brown bear and I really don't want to have to wound or kill something if I can avoid it. Besides, it's the moose that will get ya. ;)
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Dan76 wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

It was very stressful because the range dude told me not to ring the bell for assistance unless it was a medical emergency. So, when the gun jams, I don’t know what to do. I wait 30 seconds then lay it down, pointing down range and just stand there. I didn’t think it was okay to leave a firearm unattended to go get help. I get stressed when I feel uncertain.A young guy shooting a few lanes down saw me standing there and when to get help. Then it happens again. Ugh. By the third time, I was over it. It was scary to clear it myself but did it anyway. Maybe I need another basic class. ?(
      No on this and other subsequent posts. Your husband has nothing to do with this, size and stature. I am not dismissing your observations, but as women enjoy being around other women for conversation, Young men and sales people make the same egregious mistake. Going forward you need to set the expectations of why you are there. Take a moment, prior to shooting and addressee the "Range Dude" introduce yourself and tell them to their faces, I may not have an issue, and may need a little more help than -" your choice" the average person. There is nothing wrong with being forward. I kill rats, termites, and bedbugs for a living. Not going to happen with a magic wand or fairy dust. I have to set the expectations and it isn't going to be a spray for mice and overnight. You already garner attention, just be proactive, yea I do struggle with it too. By encouraging people or instructors to step up, you will always have a win.

Give it a real try. You will surprise yourself!

Woo.
    • I don't think I entirely understand Woo's post above this one but that's probably just me.

Bo Peep - Keep an eye out for gun stores, ranges and instructors (preferably certified ones) offering ladies night events. It might seem cliche but you might also find yourself more comfortable in a group of women.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Ewok11 wrote:

I don't think I entirely understand Woo's post above this one but that's probably just me.

Bo Peep - Keep an eye out for gun stores, ranges and instructors (preferably certified ones) offering ladies night events. It might seem cliche but you might also find yourself more comfortable in a group of women.
      Hey maybe you are right, I did not have the opportunity to get past a 101 college class on Psychology. Years later I had a tremendous bunch of mentors one in clinical and the other in corporate Psy. So yea I could be wrong. What is wrong with setting expectations and asking for help, it breaks the ice, opens a discussion and can lead to better experiences down the road...
    • WOO, with due respect, your last post was a little hard to understand.

By my interpretation I think the summary of what you meant was "be assertive with the range instructor beforehand, make sure they understand your level of experience and possible needs and be sure they are can assist and are willing to accomodate before paying for the range time."

If that's the case the I certainly agree.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sarcasmtheelf ().

• For those interested a good friend who's an instructor sent me the link below showing the results of ballistics testing of many of the more popular rounds on the market.

As he put it:
      "The name of the game is a combination of expansion and penetration. We want the penetration to fall into the FBI acceptability range of 12-18". This is what gets good terminal energy transfer while reducing the risk of over penetration. For example your average FMJ 9mm will easily pass through over 30". Expansion on the other hand is a simple "bigger is better" number. The larger the bullet expands the more likely it is to hit vital zones and create immediate incapacitation. I highly recommend you read over these results for yourself:
      (The top round for 9mm appears to be Winchester Ranger T 147gr by a lot actually(.74" expansion at 16.5" penetration))

luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

WOO, with due respect, your last post was a little hard to understand.

By my interpretation I think the summary of what you meant was "be assertive with the range instructor beforehand, make sure they understand your level of experience and possible needs and be sure they are can assist and are willing to accomodate before paying for the range time."

This I understand and agree with. I meant no disrespect and clearly said that I didn't understand it and that it was probably me. I wasn't saying I agreed or disagreed, I simply wasn't sure what exactly was being said. It's the internet and sometimes intent and emotion get lost in translation.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

For those interested a good friend who's an instructor sent me the link below showing the results of ballistics testing of many of the more popular rounds on the market.

As he put it:
      "The name of the game is a combination of expansion and penetration. We want the penetration to fall into the FBI acceptability range of 12-18". This is what gets good terminal energy transfer while reducing the risk of over penetration. For example your average FMJ 9mm will easily pass through over 30". Expansion on the other hand is a simple "bigger is better" number. The larger the bullet expands the more likely it is to hit vital zones and create immediate incapacitation. I highly recommend you read over these results for yourself:
      (The top round for 9mm appears to be Winchester Ranger T 147gr by a lot actually(.74" expansion at 16.5" penetration))

luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm
      Nobody, except the military, should be using any 9mm FMJ in a self-defense scenario. There are plenty of good rounds that will get the job done. I am a fan of Hornady Critical Defense 9mm. It will penetrate through hard shells(leather jacket, denim, windshield...) and not over-expand too early. Consistent 16" penetration with controlled expansion, low flash, low recoil. There is even a "lite" version in pink for BoPeep!!!

I also like Lehigh Defense maximum expansion round. It is devastating and has good barrier penetration characteristics with low flash, low recoil...
    • I took my old 38 to the range today. It hasn’t been used for a very, long time and my intention was to trade it in for something lighter. I decided...what the hey, may as well test my own revolver.

I was a lot more confident and relaxed this time. The revolver was fun to shoot, although the double action was a bit hard (is that the right way to say it?). I liked cocking the hammer then pulling the trigger. Pulling the trigger without pulling the hammer back was hard and made my aim slightly low. I fired at 15, 20, and 25 feet away.

The same guy was at the store as last week and I’m pretty sure he thinks I’m a dumb blonde. He said, “that is probably a good gun for you, it’s idiot proof.” :rolleyes:
      Images
      • 6F1813CE-879F-4182-A528-9B7B764AAA3E.jpeg

112.84 kB, 690×600, viewed 281 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

I took my old 38 to the range today. It hasn’t been used for a very, long time and my intention was to trade it in for something lighter. I decided...what the hey, may as well test my own revolver.

I was a lot more confident and relaxed this time. The revolver was fun to shoot, although the double action was a bit hard (is that the right way to say it?). I liked cocking the hammer then pulling the trigger. Pulling the trigger without pulling the hammer back was hard and made my aim slightly low. I fired at 15, 20, and 25 feet away.

The same guy was at the store as last week and I’m pretty sure he thinks I’m a dumb blonde. He said, “that is probably a good gun for you, it’s idiot proof.” :rolleyes:
      that's not bad shooting. Shooting double action with a revolver is definitely short range stuff (less than 25ft) . Shooting single action, I can hit the target at 50 ft or more. That guy's statement shows how dumb he is.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

I took my old 38 to the range today. It hasn’t been used for a very, long time and my intention was to trade it in for something lighter. I decided...what the hey, may as well test my own revolver.

that's not bad shooting. Shooting double action with a revolver is definitely short range stuff (less than 25ft) . Shooting single action, I can hit the target at 50 ft or more. That guy's statement shows how dumb he is.
      Not many men dumb enough to say something like that to a woman with a gun in her hand.
    • Drybones wrote:

I bought a .32 thinking it might be light enough to carry at 6oz, but I don't, and probably wont as long as I'm not concerned for safety. A .32 to me is about the equivalent of a flat rock in your pocket. I use the ammo in this video to improve the punch...lot of good it'll do me sitting on the stereo speaker.

.32 is just...well....ugh. Seriously ugh. I suppose if you had to use a .32, that Beretta is probably the lightest. I'd go with a classic Walther PPK though. You wouldn't even feel the recoil with that piece of metal.

Why .32 over .380?
    • Bo Peep wrote:

What .38 are you shooting? If it is a snubbie and a SW, you should invest in a full-on trigger job. About 150 bucks if done properly, but it will make that double action a whole lot smoother. If you are sold on a revolver, you may want to look into a SW Performance Center Pro pistol. It comes from the factory with a full-on trigger job and more. I'd go with the 7 shot .357. You can always load .38spl if the recoil is too bad and 7 shots is all you are going to get with a pocket semi-auto! Not idiot-proof, but fool-proof!!!!
    • ScareBear wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I bought a .32 thinking it might be light enough to carry at 6oz, but I don't, and probably wont as long as I'm not concerned for safety. A .32 to me is about the equivalent of a flat rock in your pocket. I use the ammo in this video to improve the punch...lot of good it'll do me sitting on the stereo speaker.

.32 is just...well....ugh. Seriously ugh. I suppose if you had to use a .32, that Beretta is probably the lightest. I'd go with a classic Walther PPK though. You wouldn't even feel the recoil with that piece of metal.
      Why .32 over .380?
      I was going to buy a PPK, just for the 007 thing, until I found out the Bersa is a more reliable gun....and at half the cost.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

WOO, with due respect, your last post was a little hard to understand.

You got it... 100%
    • Oh man, it’ll be a miracle if I didn’t get banned from the range today. Geez, I just can’t get it right.

I went back to the same place, got my lane, clipped the target onto the frame, and worked the thingamabob to move the target down range. No problems, didn’t have to ask for help.

Feeling pleased with myself, I start shooting and notice a lot of smoke and odor coming from my gun/shells after firing. And my fingers were getting really black. That didn’t happen before and I thought, what the heck?

After 15 rounds, I checked my ammo and realize it was the wrong box and full of lead bullets.

Omg. I paid and high-tailed it out of there. Thank goodness, the guy who thinks I’m an idiot wasn’t there.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Oh man, it’ll be a miracle if I didn’t get banned from the range today. Geez, I just can’t get it right.

I went back to the same place, got my lane, clipped the target onto the frame, and worked the thingamabob to move the target down range. No problems, didn’t have to ask for help.

Feeling pleased with myself, I start shooting and notice a lot of smoke and odor coming from my gun/shells after firing. And my fingers were getting really black. That didn’t happen before and I thought, what the heck?

After 15 rounds, I checked my ammo and realize it was the wrong box and full of lead bullets.

Omg. I paid and high-tailed it out of there. Thank goodness, the guy who thinks I’m an idiot wasn’t there.
      Whoops!!! I'm sure you're not the first to do that. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and don't let it deter you.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Oh man, it’ll be a miracle if I didn’t get banned from the range today. Geez, I just can’t get it right.

so what’s the problem, you got away clean :thumbup:

:D
    • Jake Ace wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

so what’s the problem, you got away clean :thumbup:
      :D
      Ha ha. I left so fast, one of the workers said, “leaving so soon?” I intended to change clothes and ride my bike from the range as it’s very close to a favorite route and on a road with wide shoulders. But i didn’t want to call attention to myself so skedaddled,