Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Being Safe on the AT - Weapon Safety

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I’m finally pulling the trigger and getting my permit.

Although which handgun to purchase is still a dilemma. I made the bold move to call the range where the intended permit class takes place and spoke to them about rental weapons.

I really want to try Sarcasm’s recommendation, the Kahr cw380 (they don’t have one). As well as the S&W airweight that Trebor recommends (although a revolver is at the bottom of the list) and the LCP380 (DMax).

There are so many opinions online that it’s very confusing. My recent experience with feral hogs and roaming dogs make me wonder if I need something more worthy of critter protection. But then it will be too heavy...it’s such a dilemma.

I really need to get my hands on some.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Just had to interject that this is one of the things I like about the AT Cafe over other options... people here can have a grownup conversation about firearms without it devolving into name calling or the thread being shut down to protect our delicate sensibilities.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Just had to interject that this is one of the things I like about the AT Cafe over other options... people here can have a grownup conversation about firearms without it devolving into name calling or the thread being shut down to protect our delicate sensibilities.

IMScotty wrote:

Just had to interject that this is one of the things I like about the AT Cafe over other options... people here can have a grownup conversation about firearms without it devolving into name calling or the thread being shut down to protect our delicate sensibilities.
      We have delicate sensibilities, naw, not us.
    • IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

So, if I get a gun, it would be okay to shoot unleashed dogs, dogs in shelters, etc.?
    • Tin Man wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

So, if I get a gun, it would be okay to shoot unleashed dogs, dogs in shelters, etc.?
      And mice.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Tin Man wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

And mice.
      Haven't encountered any mice in my hammock, but I will keep it in mind.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

I'd go with a 9mm. But, if you MUST have a .380, get a Glock Model 42...with tritium night sights....
      it is nearly 3 pounds! That won’t ride in a pocket.
      Does anyone have experience with the Safepacker?
      I googled the safepacker and it looks like it's just a carrying case? I use an ankle holster or a sticky holster which I put in my front pocket or small of my back. A sticky holster has a sticky exterior and stays put with no attachment. The inside is smooth and allows for an easy draw. I also have a inside the belt holster which clips to the belt. And I have a special belt holster for my 410/45 long Colt.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

I'd go with a 9mm. But, if you MUST have a .380, get a Glock Model 42...with tritium night sights....
      it is nearly 3 pounds! That won’t ride in a pocket.Does anyone have experience with the Safepacker?
      I googled the safepacker and it looks like it's just a carrying case? I use an ankle holster or a sticky holster which I put in my front pocket or small of my back. A sticky holster has a sticky exterior and stays put with no attachment. The inside is smooth and allows for an easy draw. I also have a inside the belt holster which clips to the belt. And I have a special belt holster for my 410/45 long Colt.
      In a past life, I was required to carry concealed 24/7. Despite using a variety of holsters, never felt comfortable with security of the weapon. After an incident of chasing a suspect across a snow covered field, subduing him, and finding the weapon gone, I switched to an unauthorized shoulder holster. Luckily the snow was undisturbed and I foun it after retracing my tracks.

Though i’m reluctant to say never, I most likely will continue to not carry.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Bo Peep wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

it is nearly 3 pounds! That won’t ride in a pocket.
      Does anyone have experience with the Safepacker?
      WTH? The Glock 42 is a .380acp that weighs .86 pound. The Model 43 9mm weighs only 16.64 ounces. Where do you get this stuff? My Glock 42 rides in my pocket just fine. In a pocket holster. Because it has no safety. If you want a 9mm with a safety that fits in your pocket, get the Ruger LC9S, it only weighs 17 ounces. Where are you getting your data? Both the Glock 42 and 43 are single-stack pocket pistols. Same as the Ruger LC9S. All weigh a pound or less...
    • Dan76 wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

it is nearly 3 pounds! That won’t ride in a pocket.Does anyone have experience with the Safepacker?
      In a past life, I was required to carry concealed 24/7. Despite using a variety of holsters, never felt comfortable with security of the weapon. After an incident of chasing a suspect across a snow covered field, subduing him, and finding the weapon gone, I switched to an unauthorized shoulder holster. Luckily the snow was undisturbed and I foun it after retracing my tracks.
      Though i’m reluctant to say never, I most likely will continue to not carry.
      Makes me wonder about your choice of holsters....

I primarily carried a Gould and Goodrich pancake with thumb strap in a high ride position. Never had a foot pursuit-lost weapon issue, ever. I would NOT trust an inside-the-pants holster in a foot pursuit, nor would I trust a non-thumb strap holster in a foot pursuit. Shoulder holsters are for non-personal encounters with suspects because of the issue of weapon retention in a horizontal carry. Same with a weak-side carry/reverse carry. Weapon retention is non-existent in a personal encounter.

The only weapon I ever "lost" was a SW model 38 Airweight in an ankle holster. I hate ankle holsters...
    • ScareBear wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

WTH? The Glock 42 is a .380acp that weighs .86 pound. The Model 43 9mm weighs only 16.64 ounces. Where do you get this stuff? My Glock 42 rides in my pocket just fine. In a pocket holster. Because it has no safety. If you want a 9mm with a safety that fits in your pocket, get the Ruger LC9S, it only weighs 17 ounces. Where are you getting your data? Both the Glock 42 and 43 are single-stack pocket pistols. Same as the Ruger LC9S. All weigh a pound or less...
      This is where I saw it (very bottom of photo). I must be misinterpreting the specs, thanks for clarifying.
      Images
      • D3BFF041-426C-4EA4-984F-D252577E4ECE.png

59.03 kB, 449×600, viewed 338 times
    • Bo Peep wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

This is where I saw it (very bottom of photo). I must be misinterpreting the specs, thanks for clarifying.
      Sorry if my tone was a bit off! So, if you are looking at pocket pistols(semi-auto) IMHO a .380 just isn't a great choice for a novice. The lack of sufficient penetration ability makes shot placement crucial, and that is difficult for a pro under life-or-death stress, let alone a novice. To my way of thinking, nothing less than a 9mm for the novice. Although, a .380 is better than a Taser...

Take a look at the glock dot com website for the full specs. You are looking for what is known as a "single-stack, semi-automatic pocket pistol". I like the Ruger LC9S because of the external safety. It isn't too much fun to break down for cleaning, but you may never have to do that. The simplest of any semi-auto in the world to field strip is the Glock. I know, I am a Glock guy. But, my Model 17, Gen 2 is going on...THIRTY YEARS OLD and has over 30,000 rounds through it and it looks and performs AS NEW. Seriously. I STILL compete with this gun, no modifications other than I've gone to Gen 3 drop-free magazines and Advantage Tactical triangle sights. But, that is way too big a 9mm for your hands. The Model 43 is perfect, except for the lack of an external safety. No novice should carry a pistol outside of a holster without an external safety, unless it is a revolver. So, take a look at the Ruger LC9S. If you don't like the fact that it has a magazine disconnect safety(you can't fire the gun with the magazine out, even if you want to) I can gunsmith it out for you. It's just a plate and a spring, but you have to take the entire gun apart completely. If you check out the reviews and are interested, let me know. I've got a couple in the safe and could sell you one...here's Hickock45 reviewing the LC9S. He likes it. More than a little.
    • ScareBear wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Sorry if my tone was a bit off! So, if you are looking at pocket pistols(semi-auto) IMHO a .380 just isn't a great choice for a novice. The lack of sufficient penetration ability makes shot placement crucial, and that is difficult for a pro under life-or-death stress, let alone a novice. To my way of thinking, nothing less than a 9mm for the novice. Although, a .380 is better than a Taser...
      Take a look at the glock dot com website for the full specs. You are looking for what is known as a "single-stack, semi-automatic pocket pistol". I like the Ruger LC9S because of the external safety. It isn't too much fun to break down for cleaning, but you may never have to do that. The simplest of any semi-auto in the world to field strip is the Glock. I know, I am a Glock guy. But, my Model 17, Gen 2 is going on...THIRTY YEARS OLD and has over 30,000 rounds through it and it looks and performs AS NEW. Seriously. I STILL compete with this gun, no modifications other than I've gone to Gen 3 drop-free magazines and Advantage Tactical triangle sights. But, that is way too big a 9mm for your hands. The Model 43 is perfect, except for the lack of an external safety. No novice should carry a pistol outside of a holster without an external safety, unless it is a revolver. So, take a look at the Ruger LC9S. If you don't like the fact that it has a magazine disconnect safety(you can't fire the gun with the magazine out, even if you want to) I can gunsmith it out for you. It's just a plate and a spring, but you have to take the entire gun apart completely. If you check out the reviews and are interested, let me know. I've got a couple in the safe and could sell you one...here's Hickock45 reviewing the LC9S. He likes it. More than a little.
      I did not think your tone was off. I VERY much appreciate everyone’s feedback and help!
    • I went to a local range since ladies shoot for free on Monday, minus the rental-gun fee and ammo.. I was very nervous and jumpy, probably not a good thing when shooting a gun.

The first one was a Glock 42 (a 380) and it was all wrong for me. The recoil made it difficult to hit the target at 15 feet. All my shots were in the throat or above the head. It jammed on the third round which slightly freaked me out. I had to go find help. Then it jammed again and again had to summon help. The second time, I admitted how I really disliked the gun so he brought me another one.

The second one was a Bersa 380. It was much better as far as accuracy. It jammed also but I cleared it myself. The range guy said I wasn’t being deliberate enough when squeezing the trigger.

They have a Glock 43 available to rent so that will be my next trial. I also plan to try a revolver. They didn’t have any LCP380’s.

Dang, it’s expensive to go to the range. But it will have to become (at least) a monthly routine to stay comfortable with shooting.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

I went to a local range since ladies shoot for free on Monday, minus the rental-gun fee and ammo.. I was very nervous and jumpy, probably not a good thing when shooting a gun.

The first one was a Glock 42 (a 380) and it was all wrong for me. The recoil made it difficult to hit the target at 15 feet. All my shots were in the throat or above the head. It jammed on the third round which slightly freaked me out. I had to go find help. Then it jammed again and again had to summon help. The second time, I admitted how I really disliked the gun so he brought me another one.

The second one was a Bersa 380. It was much better as far as accuracy. It jammed also but I cleared it myself. The range guy said I wasn’t being deliberate enough when squeezing the trigger.

They have a Glock 43 available to rent so that will be my next trial. I also plan to try a revolver. They didn’t have any LCP380’s.

Dang, it’s expensive to go to the range. But it will have to become (at least) a monthly routine to stay comfortable with shooting.
      All that jamming is why jimmyjam prefers revolvers.

By the way, when an auto jams or any gun misfires wait a full minute before attempting to clear it and keep it pointed in a safe direction. I had an auto jam/misfire on me and the shell went off at the 30 second mark.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

I went to a local range since ladies shoot for free on Monday, minus the rental-gun fee and ammo.. I was very nervous and jumpy, probably not a good thing when shooting a gun.

By the way, when an auto jams or any gun misfires wait a full minute before attempting to clear it and keep it pointed in a safe direction. I had an auto jam/misfire on me and the shell went off at the 30 second mark.
      exactly, they work when ya need em too.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

It was very stressful because the range dude told me not to ring the bell for assistance unless it was a medical emergency. So, when the gun jams, I don’t know what to do. I wait 30 seconds then lay it down, pointing down range and just stand there. I didn’t think it was okay to leave a firearm unattended to go get help. I get stressed when I feel uncertain.

A young guy shooting a few lanes down saw me standing there and when to get help. Then it happens again. Ugh. By the third time, I was over it. It was scary to clear it myself but did it anyway. Maybe I need another basic class. ?(
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Jamming issues may be the ammo and not the gun, had that problem before. I find most of the small purse/pocket guns just don't feel like real guns, I have a Bersa that's in one of the vehicles, IMO it's about as good as you can get in a small caliber handgun.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Tin Man wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

And mice.
      OMG. No you cannot discharge a weapon towards a minor mammal - PETA will sue your sorryA......You can only shoot other humans... please pay attention. Oh never mind....Dilly Dilly.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: