Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Bibbulmun Track Western Australia

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bibbulmun Track Western Australia

Okay.
      I am going to kick this thread off here and hope that one day Rasty/TW/HB may give it's own topic (instead of Other Trails) as I hope over the coming years to entice a few of you down here.
      I intend to post soime pics and informative videos in here (first attempt to post video failed so bear with me) as well as answer any questions anyone may have about the Bib.
      As a rough overview it is a trail that runs from the outskirts of Perth (suburb Kalamunda) to the south coastal town of Albany (my hometown). It has just been officially remeasured at 1003km instead of the previous 963km but for USA heads just think of it as 600 miles.
      It is a lot "easier" than the AT but not necessarily easy. A climb of 1000ft would be considered big here. There are sections where you may have to wade through water up to thigh deep and indeed a couple of places where you may have to detour around water. There is a canoe crossing of an inlet, but you paddle yourself and there is no rush of dam release water to concern yourself with.
      It is a seasonal hike in my opinion but the season to avoid is summer so the ideal times to hike are autumn and spring but weighted towards winter. Being the southern hemisphere this means best times to hike are comparable to a NOBO AT hike.
      Aside from Australia's unique flora and fauna, the Track offers great ocean views, some truly magnificent trees and an overseas experience where you don't have to learn a new language (although you may think you do sometimes).
      I believe the Bib's greatest attribute is the quality of our huts. There are essentially 3 designs and the video I am trying to post is of the most common type in the north. They are all clean, roomy and positively luxurious compared to AT average. They were all pre-made in our prison system and then erected on site by volunteers (a couple of them by the prisoners). They all have water tanks fed from their rooves and are well spaced. Numbers on the Bib mean that you rarely need to tent (on my thru I didn't), although you can where you wish to. On a typical thruhike (end to end is the local term) you will have at least a few nights alone.
      Cheers
      Jacko
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

I am posting link to first video here but it is still loading (putting it on YouTube) so wait another 10-15 minutes before trying it.
      I will put some still pics and more video links at a later time (stills are on the other pc).
      The local equivalent of the AT Conservancy is here http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/
      They organise volunteers etc and provide a lot of assistance (they do run a lot of expensive section hikes with groups).
      The real responsibility for the Track lies with the state government Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPAW).
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

Just had a trip down south and Annie and I managed to do a few kilometres of the Bibbulmun Track to Torbay Hut and back. I've posted a few still photos in my Bib Track Album and following should be a short video showing the hut.
      This hut is the same basic design as probably more than a third of the huts including all the ones in the south. This one is set in a bit of taller bush than many on the coast and it's "outside" picnic table is about 50 yards from the hut and enjoys a lovely view of the ocean.
      All Bib huts have one table under the main roof and one exposed to the elements.
    • Just to highlight that summer is not hiking season here.
      We currently have a couple of bushfires out of control admittedly some 300 miles east of the trail.
      While it is still two weeks shy of summer here the fires are burning on fronts tens of miles wide, were started by lightning strikes in temps well over 100f with winds peaking over 60mph.
      Despite the low population density 4 lives have been confirmed lost and 2 more are expected to be confirmed soon. Authorities predict fire will not be possible to contain for at least another 24 hours.
    • Just learned 3 of the dead were German backpackers working on one of the farms (bumper wheat crop was expected).
      Still only 4 confirmed dead but several missing. Fire perimeter about 150 miles. At least 15,000 sheep dead. Farm houses and sheds machinery etc. This state's most deadly fire ever. Still not contained.
      :(