Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The Christmas Roast

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Christmas Roast

There are many formulas for cooking the perfect Christmas roast (prime rib) I just learned a new one from a friend tonight...5 min per pound @ 500 degrees (e.g.; 5lb. Roast 5x5=25min @ 500) turn off oven leaving it in place for two hours (very important...no peeking, leave door closed).
      then there's the low and slow method 325 degrees or even lower 275 @ 20 min. per pound of roast.

what's yours method?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• muddywaters wrote:

my method is to let my wife cook it.

Rib roasts are really ridiculously overpriced, they arent that good if you ask me.

We will be eating one today. $$$ for 9 people.

Wheres an emoji for tears?

Id honestly rather have tacos.......
      I ordered one from a local butcher shop for $6.99 per lb..

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • meat wrote:

There are many formulas for cooking the perfect Christmas roast (prime rib) I just learned a new one from a friend tonight...5 min per pound @ 500 degrees (e.g.; 5lb. Roast 5x5=25min @ 500) turn off oven leaving it in place for two hours (very important...no peeking, leave door closed).
      then there's the low and slow method 325 degrees or even lower 275 @ 20 min. per pound of roast.

what's yours method?
      I was recently advised to let the roast warm to room temp prior to placing in the oven. Haven't done this for past roasts.

How did the new method result?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I spent all morning yesterday making potato sausage with my father. That's our "roast". One part pork, one part beef, two parts potatoes, salt, pepper, allspice. Grind, stuff in hog casings with antique cast iron sausage stuffer, boil 30 minutes. My ancestors were all peasant farmers in Sweden. Adding potatoes to the sausage was a way of getting meat on the table when you had almost nothing. Turns out it tastes great so the tradition is carried on.

• Beef Rib Roast
      1) Trim the roast to the meat so the only fat left is the fast you will actually eat. Trim that the front lip fairly tight.
      2) Mix Dijon mustard and fresh thyme and coat entire rib roast in a thin layer.
      3) Kosher salt and fine ground black pepper on roast.
      4) Refrigerate overnight.
      5) Roast 45 minutes at 450° then lower temp to 275° and cook until 120° internal temperature.
      6) Let rest 45 minutes.

The best part of a roast is the outside surface. Many people make the mistake of having the outside surface be fat that they trim away after cooking. For the same reason I never suggest Bone-in Export or worse yet Tomahawk style Rib Roasts.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Beef Rib Roast
      1) Trim the roast to the meat so the only fat left is the fast you will actually eat. Trim that the front lip fairly tight.
      5) Roast 45 minutes at 450° then lower temp to 275° and cook until 120° internal temperature.
      6) Let rest 45 minutes.

The best part of a roast is the outside surface. Many people make the mistake of having the outside surface be fat that they trim away after cooking. For the same reason I never suggest Bone-in Export or worse yet Tomahawk style Rib Roasts.
      Direct from the fridge to the oven?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Beef Rib Roast
      6) Let rest 45 minutes.

I do. Letting meat sit out on the counter is a method that is unavailable to professional cooks for good reason so I don't.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Dan76 wrote:

meat wrote:

what's yours method?
      I was recently advised to let the roast warm to room temp prior to placing in the oven. Haven't done this for past roasts.
      How did the new method result?
      You're apsolutuly right, I took the roast out to set at room temp for 2hours, it was a 4.8 pound roast. I did 500 degree for 15 min. Then 325 for about an hour and 15 min...came out rare...pretty bloody, so I put it back for about another 15 min...it was good. My oven is old and finicky, I gotta get a good thermometer.
    • Rasty wrote:

Beef Rib Roast
      6) Let rest 45 minutes.

I I'll try this fourmula sometime. Thanks for the "Pro Tip" don't trim fat after.
    • Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Beef Rib Roast
      6) Let rest 45 minutes.

I do. Letting meat sit out on the counter is a method that is unavailable to professional cooks for good reason so I don't.
      due to laws I'm guessing?
    • meat wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

meat wrote:

what's yours method?
      I was recently advised to let the roast warm to room temp prior to placing in the oven. Haven't done this for past roasts.How did the new method result?
      You're apsolutuly right, I took the roast out to set at room temp for 2hours, it was a 4.8 pound roast. I did 500 degree for 15 min. Then 325 for about an hour and 15 min...came out rare...pretty bloody, so I put it back for about another 15 min...it was good. My oven is old and finicky, I gotta get a good thermometer.
      Invest in a good thermometer that can be calibrated. Don't get the 180 degree max versions as they cannot be properly calibrated with boiling water.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • meat wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Beef Rib Roast
      6) Let rest 45 minutes.

due to laws I'm guessing?
      Correct. The rule for leaving food labeled potentially hazardous (Perishable) is that food left out must be documented as falling under the six hour rule. After six hours the food must be either consumed or thrown out. Saving leftovers would not be allowed.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Just completed a day late Christmas dinner for special folks.

Thanks for the advice on the roast. Used the mustard rub with a garlic enhancement.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Grinder wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Trim that the front lip fairly tight.
      Front lip?
      A Beef Rib eye has a section of fat called the lip. Each commercial cut has a designated number from the meat buyers guide. The lip-on is a 112A. b-rqualitymeats.com/beefprimeriblip-onribeye.aspx
      Files
      Dr. Seuss Cof123