Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

TED TALKS _ FRESH WATER

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Clearly if four people viewed this ... Perhaps I have failed to make the thread clear.

Water on the trail is the #1 important issue to Backpacking & hiking! You don't want to get sick.

Nobody wants to get exposed to bad water, its a choice over thirst. I am working on a portable desalination system for backpackers and kayaker's that may be beneficial to everyone.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Wise Old Owl: a bit over the top ().

• I grew up in central Texas during a drought... I very much understand the need for clean water. And one of the evaps, converts salt to fresh water, aboard ship meant a cut in water to drink, shower, etc. Probably why I carry a case of water in my car all year long.

The other evap ? Oh, that fresh water went to the ship's boilers so our steam plan and turbine would run andm ove us across the ocean.

No sodas and no bottled water allowed to us back then. Just the water fountains, which were turned on during meals.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • There is a product I believe that goes by the name of "Slingshot" designed to provide clean water in parts of the world that have no access to it. There are portable desalinators for lifeboats already out there but not feasible for backpacking, require full sun. Good luck in your quest, clean water is the next big crisis for humanity.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

There is a product I believe that goes by the name of "Slingshot" designed to provide clean water in parts of the world that have no access to it. There are portable desalinators for lifeboats already out there but not feasible for backpacking, require full sun. Good luck in your quest, clean water is the next big crisis for humanity.
      Slingshot? I thought that was Jimmy Jam's hiking partner.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General