Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Datto's Christmas Present Best of 2016

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Datto's Christmas Present Best of 2016

Best 2016 song related to ultralight hiking:
      Three Packs A Day -- Artist: Courtney Barnett [this is a song about Ramen Noodles via a woman from Melbourne, Australia) -- she's been on Saturday Night Live and some other late-night shows.

Best relatively inexpensive Bluetooth Over The Ear Headphones for home:
      JLab Omni -- these are the best relatively inexpensive Bluetooth headphones I've ever owned.

Best four-year old used laptop to buy used that excels (I always buy used):
      Dell M6600 -- Has 32GB memory capability, multiple hard drive capability with a 17" FHD screen capability and eight core capability (hyperthreaded) with the right i7 CPU in it. Most of that as options of course but the used market has quite a few of those available with various options these days.

Best battery operated hand tools:
      DeWalt 36v series. These are simply excellent. I can't get these back from the girlfriend -- you would think DeWalt made a 36v vibrator if you didn't know any better.

Best piece of 2016 technology:
      iLife V5 -- a Chinese knock-off of a Roomba. This thing is great on wood floors -- an automatic sweeper robot smarter than some of the people who graduated from college with me. The LED lights on this device are blue so around here it's called Frank.

Best improved NFL team:
      Tennessee Titans -- The combination of Mariota, Murray and Henry are some the best going forward into the future. Hopefully Mariota's leg gets healed up for next year. The Chicago False Starts still suck but I follow them anyhow.

Funniest Smartass 2016 Comedian:
      It is still Kathleen Madigan as it has been for years. If you've ever had to ride a Greyhound bus to get to a hiking trailhead, her Greyhound bit is outstanding. Gary Gulman and Brian Regan are runners-up and both are funny as all get-out. I would suggest these as local MP3s but mileage goes downhill considerably when listening to these comedians via headphones while hiking. Probably still worth it anyhow.

Best 2016 song to get you up a hill:
      Bruno Mars -- 24K Magic.

Best old and new songs/bands from the Midwest:
      First Place: Minutes To Memories, John Mellencamp
      Second place: Rumbleseat, John Mellencamp
      Best new band from the Midwest: Michigan Rattlers

My best 2016 trading ride since the election:
      Verizon (VZ)

The post was edited 4 times, last by Datto ().

• meat wrote:

How much were the jlab omni's? I'm always looking for a new pair.
      I usually buy tech stuff used so I only paid ~$40 used (they looked brand new to me when they arrived). Newegg has refurbs for $58 + shipping and brand new they're $78 + shipping (straight retail they're $99).

Let me see if I can figure out how to move this thread over to the appropriate place.

(Later) Just looked -- thread doesn't appear to be user-moveable. If someone wants to move the thread and has the permissions, go ahead.

Datto
    • Datto wrote:

meat wrote:

How much were the jlab omni's? I'm always looking for a new pair.
      I usually buy tech stuff used so I only paid ~$40 used (they looked brand new to me when they arrived). Newegg has refurbs for $58 + shipping and brand new they're $78 + shipping (straight retail they're $99).
      Let me see if I can figure out how to move this thread over to the appropriate place.

(Later) Just looked -- thread doesn't appear to be user-moveable. If someone wants to move the thread and has the permissions, go ahead.

Datto
      thanks