Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Goal Zero Nomad solution to clear problem.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Goal Zero Nomad solution to clear problem.

After a year or two I finally found out what happened with the Goal Zero products and Motorola, Apple, and Samsung phones - You see even in bright sunlight - you cannot charge directly to your phone, which would save on weight... Their site and Anazon's have clear Q&A that the phones complain and won't accept the charge. Which I found out the hard way when I purchased the product, about a year ago, It can be done but its a bear to do.
      Motorola, Apple, and Samsung use a small piece of sampling software inside the phone and look at the data pins to determine if the phone is hooked up to a charger or a computer. They even look at the voltage to determine if the charger is proprietary or china knock offs. Goal Zero dropped the ball here and wanted everyone to purchase the heavy AA battery pack and most folk do. But for size and power an ANKER or similar battery backup. Strangly the LED light would come on when hooked up to the Goal Zero - I gave up at that point and returned it to REI.I also vowed never to buy a Motorola phone again... since then a product arrived this Christmas, another portable charger and it too said in big print "Not Compatible" with Motorola smart phones. So I started to dig again in the tech blogs I am on and found the information more successfully this time.

The big three smart phones need a short on the data pins or a resistive circuit to tell the phone what it's connected to..Turns out my Motorola likes the Apple Charger and vise versa. The voltage cannot drop below 5.3 volts in a two to three minute period.

So here is the solution. Yes Goal Pro can charge a phone in two hours. if you want it direct the housing on the product would have to be opened or a dongle added between the wire and the panel to fake out the phone. The panel could not be moved while charging OR...
      Charge an Anker. don't buy the Goal Zero Battery. Its a shame these two companies don't get together.

ANKER
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

Yes I think HB is using a competitor battery back up - I forget which one it was. Also if you click on the second ANKER on the first post its on sale and can charge two devices at the same time.. Says $28 bucks.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Yes I think HB is using a competitor battery back up - I forget which one it was. Also if you click on the second ANKER on the first post its on sale and can charge two devices at the same time.. Says $28 bucks.
      i didnt bring a backup last spring and probably wont this year either. i keep the phone shut off ,for the most part, i dont even have service very often, and charging it when i get to town is enough to serve my needs.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

i didnt bring a backup last spring and probably wont this year either. i keep the phone shut off ,for the most part, i dont even have service very often, and charging it when i get to town is enough to serve my needs.

That is what I do. I turn it on long enough to send a couple texts and shut her off.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

In the wise old owl meeting place at WB I stored an article on power of popular phones. these phones can be left on for hours provided the display is at the lowest brightness my company phone only needs a charge every three days. My Cell is my MP3 Player when hiking alone... with the Anker I get a week. (3 charges) provided I turn on the GPS when I need it and turn it off when I don't . Yes I peek at the maps from time to time.

After thought if there isn't cell coverage - go airplane mode and that stops the phone from searching for towers. This will also disable the GPS , Bluetooth, and Wifi and save more power while reading or doing something on the phone.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

For me it's more for reading. I could care less about cell service & gps, or electronic maps. I love to just be out in some beatutiful spot, relax & read. May sound weird but I love it. Especially James F Cooper novels & the likes.
      i loved all the leatherstocking books.natty bumpo was one of my inspirations as a kid..
      my brother got me a kindle for xmas. im still considering whether to bring it or not.pretty light, and id rather save my phone battery for the possibility i might need it.
      its all good