Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trail Muscles

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trail Muscles

Hiking and bicycling with a backpack resulted in readily visible enlargement of the leg muscles, especially in the lower leg. What was not immediately apparent was the effect on my abdominal muscles, since I was obese when I started hiking. Now that I weigh 196 pounds, I think I see the vague outlines of a six pack hiding under my belly fat. The NIH says I am still 15 pounds overweight, and I believe I could safely lose more body fat. If that is indeed a six pack under there, I did not get it by using poles.

What muscle development have others noticed in conjunction with hiking and bicycling?
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Hiking and bicycling with a backpack resulted in readily visible enlargement of the leg muscles, especially in the lower leg. What was not immediately apparent was the effect on my abdominal muscles, since I was obese when I started hiking. Now that I weigh 196 pounds, I think I see the vague outlines of a six pack hiding under my belly fat. The NIH says I am still 15 pounds overweight, and I believe I could safely lose more body fat. If that is indeed a six pack under there, I did not get it by using poles.

What muscle development have others noticed in conjunction with hiking and bicycling?
      I tried to lose a few pounds a while back so the six-pack in there would show...came to the realization the only six-pack I'll be seeing is behind the frig door.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

My legs are definitely more toned and my waist is about two inches smaller. However my feet are a full size or size and a half bigger.
      Me too - I used to wear size 10 shoes, but now I wear size 11. I wonder how much of that is larger foot muscles versus straightening of the toes. My smallest two toes still curl.

The post was edited 1 time, last by WanderingStovie ().

• max.patch wrote:

i lost 14 pounds on my thru; when i was done my legs were awesome - they looked like they were chisled outta granite.
      Has anyone competed in a running event such as a half or full marathon after a thru? If so, were you physically as well as mentally conditioned to finish?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • The only marathon I ever did was on the AT in Maryland, walking south from the Mason Dixon, using all available daylight (13 hours). It felt really good, but I only did 9 miles the next day. It left me in good shape physically and mentally for GSMNP.

The longest I ever ran was about four miles, when I was still in high school. It was either run or be a useless part of a team sport, so I ran.