Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

MLK 2017 get together weekend

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• MLK 2017 get together weekend

The onset of the cold weather has me thinking about winter camping.
      Winter camping has me thinking about our annual get together on MLK weekend.
      I've already put in notice at work to get the Friday and Saturday off and the Sunday and Monday are regular days off for me.
      All of that leads me to wonder if anyone has any ideas for a route or itinerary.
      I'm just assuming that Saturday night we should be camped close to a parking lot, or even the Bear Mountain Inn itself, as most of the group likes to go to brunch on Sunday.
      Of course that assumes we're talking Harriman State Park.
      Chime in with thoughts and ideas.
    • CoachLou wrote:

Laz started the talk on TOS. Unfortunately, he will not be able to make it this year. Harriman is our best bet. I'm open for any route.
      Me, too - I think at this point with all the time you spend there, you probably know the place better than I do. Are you looking to mix things up?

One trip did Letterrock/Brien and Fingerboard. Another did Big Hill/Jackie Jones and West Mountain. I understand that a trip that I wasn't on did Stockbridge. Stone Memorial is pretty far out of the way, The Doodletown garage isn't an official site, and while it's tolerated, isn't good for our big group. Start from Tuxedo or 106 this time, and do Dutch Doctor, Tom Jones or Bald Rocks? Tom Jones and Bald Rocks both have nice views, and fireplaces. Bald Rocks would allow a side trip to the Hogencamp mine and ghost town. Just thinking out loud....
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Laz started the talk on TOS. Unfortunately, he will not be able to make it this year. Harriman is our best bet. I'm open for any route.
      Me, too - I think at this point with all the time you spend there, you probably know the place better than I do. Are you looking to mix things up?
      One trip did Letterrock/Brien and Fingerboard. Another did Big Hill/Jackie Jones and West Mountain. I understand that a trip that I wasn't on did Stockbridge. Stone Memorial is pretty far out of the way, The Doodletown garage isn't an official site, and while it's tolerated, isn't good for our big group. Start from Tuxedo or 106 this time, and do Dutch Doctor, Tom Jones or Bald Rocks? Tom Jones and Bald Rocks both have nice views, and fireplaces. Bald Rocks would allow a side trip to the Hogencamp mine and ghost town. Just thinking out loud....
      Just a reminder to everyone that our seasonal road closures will be going into effect tomorrow, 12/6. The following will no longer be accessible in Harriman State Park:
      Exit 16 (Lake Welch Drive, Tiorati Brook Rd)
      Arden Valley Rd
      Rt. 106 from the Kanawauke Circle to Rt. 17
      ... Please note that the Kanawauke Parking Lot/Picnic Area is still accessible for hikers and the road is barricaded just past that.
      Although not apart of Harriman, Perkins Memorial Drive in Bear Mountain State Park is also closed for the winter.
      All roads will be re-opened on April 1st.
      Happy Holidays and safe travels this winter!

The post was edited 1 time, last by LIhikers ().

• I am eyeballing the Nat Geo map of the park now. 7 Lakes road is open, but the parking near Tom jones is on 106... closed. Now maybe Friday afternoon/ evening park at Tiorati lot and make the short walk sobo to Finger board. Saturday head towards Bald Rocks. Saturday folks could park at Lake Skannatati, head west on the long path and another path, & we eat cheese cake Saturday nite @ Bald Rocks. Sunday all cars are within a few miles of each other on 7 Lakes Drive. Who ever survives the Brunch to continue, West Mtn is a short walk from the Inn and even shorter from Anthony Wayne lot
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

I am eyeballing the Nat Geo map of the park now. 7 Lakes road is open, but the parking near Tom jones is on 106... closed. Now maybe Friday afternoon/ evening park at Tiorati lot and make the short walk sobo to Finger board. Saturday head towards Bald Rocks. Saturday folks could park at Lake Skannatati, head west on the long path and another path, & we eat cheese cake Saturday nite @ Bald Rocks. Sunday all cars are within a few miles of each other on 7 Lakes Drive. Who ever survives the Brunch to continue, West Mtn is a short walk from the Inn and even shorter from Anthony Wayne lot

:huh:
    • Sounds like a fine plan to me, especially since me and Kathy (and our dog Tora) will hike in during the middle of the night Friday.
      The walk from Tiorati Circle to Fingerboard shelter is short and easy. We'll be there when you all wake up Saturday morning.
      And none of us ever did make it to Bald Rocks shelter last year, I don't think. And there's plenty of camping space at both shelters.
      And Sunday night on Western Mountaineering is logical.

On another note count me in for bringing Blackberry Brandy to help wash the cheese cake down with.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I didn't know there was another town besides Doodletown in the park.
      Kevin, do you know where it was?
    • We have to change plans.
      Instead of arriving Friday night late, we'll get to the park some time Saturday.
      We'll park at Lake Skannatati, not far from Bald Rocks Shelter.
      We'll hike in and then head north in hopes of intercepting the group coming south to Bald Rocks.
      Even if we don't find the group we'll be at Bald Rocks Saturday night so we'll see you there.
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Who is the Pilgrim?
      latest troublemaker over at whiteblaze.he the star of the current "threads to make fun of TOS" here.
      edit to add: full screen name is "pilgrimskywheel".
      I guess it is obvious I have not been over there for months.
      and you're a better man for avoiding that place.
      ya lie down with dogs -- ya gonna get fleas!
      Guess that's why I'm scratching- and I thought it was dry skin. I gotta stay away from there, too much BS of the wrong kind over there. Just friendly BS here.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Found this interesting... wrong time of the year of course.

Hike the Island Pond Area of Harriman
      The Island Pond area of Harriman (northern section) is a favorite with stealth campers and “lake baggers”* alike, as you can hike in to lovely, grassy, lakeside campsites and hop in for an unsanctioned swim in beautiful Island Pond. And, not far from Island Pond is the Lemon Squeezer and Fingerboard, one of the Appalachian Trail’s historic stone lean-to shelters — the perfect place to overnight and settle in around a campfire.
      Parking is at Elk Pen, off Arden Valley Road in Southfields. This area is also accessible via the Shortline Bus from Port Authority, New York City. Read our post and download the map, here.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Found this interesting... wrong time of the year of course.

The Island Pond area of Harriman (northern section) is a favorite with stealth campers and “lake baggers”* alike, as you can hike in to lovely, grassy, lakeside campsites and hop in for an unsanctioned swim in beautiful Island Pond. And, not far from Island Pond is the Lemon Squeezer and Fingerboard, one of the Appalachian Trail’s historic stone lean-to shelters — the perfect place to overnight and settle in around a campfire.
      Parking is at Elk Pen, off Arden Valley Road in Southfields. This area is also accessible via the Shortline Bus from Port Authority, New York City. Read our post and download the map, here.
      This is NOT a very long ride from the Valley Forge!
    • CoachLou wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Found this interesting... wrong time of the year of course.

This is NOT a very long ride from the Valley Forge!
      2.5 hours - and way too cold for me, I don't start hiking till after April 19th.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • meat wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

It's suppose to be in the forties
      Better not be. I had a subzero setup I wanted to try out.
      Don't forget your sleep pad, eh! I felt bad for you. :)
      That was a funny one. I did have a pad, just forgot to double up. I kept tossing and turning in my zero degree bag. Whatever side was on top was burning up, whatever side was touching the ground was freezing. :D
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

meat wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

That was a funny one. I did have a pad, just forgot to double up. I kept tossing and turning in my zero degree bag. Whatever side was on top was burning up, whatever side was touching the ground was freezing. :D
      Oh I forget about that. If it's any consolation I had a improperly stored 15 year old 20 degree Big Agnes bag that sucked...froze my butt off and didn't sleep a wink for two nights! Damn we ate good though! :D
    • Just when I finally invested in a zero degree kit.... warmer weather

That must be a thing... like how after you wash your car it always rains kind of thing.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • meat wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

meat wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Oh I forget about that. If it's any consolation I had a improperly stored 15 year old 20 degree Big Agnes bag that sucked...froze my butt off and didn't sleep a wink for two nights! Damn we ate good though! :D
      How was it improperly stored?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

meat wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

How was it improperly stored?
      rolled up in an old back pack.