Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

A couple of solar backpacking ideas.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A couple of solar backpacking ideas.

If you have a 1L wide-mouth water bottle, how about dual use? Simply replace the existing lid with the LightCap 200, the bottle pockets on the side of your pack are great for charging, and you’ve got a lantern for the tent or group get-togethers. There are four bright LEDs which provide useable light in a four to five-foot radius for around eight hours from a full charge. The larger Lightcap 300 comes with a BPA-free bottle and adds in a single red LED for preserving night vision or for easy bedtime reading.

Specifications
      Lightcap 200 is $25 and 2.8 oz.
      Lightcap 300 is $30 and 9.7 oz. for bottle and cap
      AMAZON
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

Solar Light Cap - charges while you hike as a great backup....

A headlamp built into a hat with no batteries to change? a solar-powered hat/headlamp has merit. The cap itself is made super lightweight wicking microfiber with mesh sides for ventilation, is easily adjustable, and does a good job keeping the sun off your face. If you sweat up a storm you can hand-wash the hat, just don’t submerge the panel on top of the brim. The two super-bright LEDs built into the underside of the brim are angled perfectly for camp chores or walking. The single on/off button under the brim also works as a dimmer, which is handy both for reading and for extending the burn time. The beam is not for off-trail scrambling or last long enough if you do a lot of all-night hiking. A full day (8 hours) of sunlight will provide around 3 hours on full power and 36 hours on dim.

Website
      AMAZON

A wide assortment of Solar Charging flash lights....

I have had one in the past that was well made and lasted two years. Regulations on small flashights prevent a replaceable battery due to choking hazards - making for a expensive solar purchase. Some of these will have the ability to bypass this regulation and I might be interested.

Here is one example of a disposable one with good reviews. Notice the Deep Reflector - this is a must for a good one.

AMAZON

2nd idea

AMAZON

Better Idea....

AMAZON

Found review...

The next thing on the horizon is a UL backpack that has a integrated charger... Of course it should be on the lid right... give it time..

Here is one on Amazon in testing phase but unavailable. One review said it was too small - but he looked like he was doing it all wrong :dry:

AMAZON

[IMG:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EjjRoA0OL.jpg]

LuminAid Portable group light or tent light ... This stood out as Dutchware found this unique waterproof light that attaches to the outside of the pack and is UL enough ...
      Weight:
      76.00 (grams) per Product.2.68 oz
      Purchase at Dutchware

LuminAid is an incredible solar powered LED lantern. It uses a lithium battery that charges by a solar cell and holds a charge for 4 months. It will charge from the sun and will light for up to 16 hours. Simply strap it to the back of your pack and when you need light at night it will light your campsite. It also can be used as a plillow in your hammock. There are two settings Low and high.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

LuminAid Portable group light or tent light ... This stood out as Dutchware found this unique waterproof light that attaches to the outside of the pack and is UL enough ...
      Weight:
      Purchase at Dutchware

LuminAid is an incredible solar powered LED lantern. It uses a lithium battery that charges by a solar cell and holds a charge for 4 months. It will charge from the sun and will light for up to 16 hours. Simply strap it to the back of your pack and when you need light at night it will light your campsite. It also can be used as a plillow in your hammock. There are two settings Low and high.

This has potential. Make it 1/4 the size and I am in.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Weight:
      Purchase at Dutchware

That lantern looks pretty interesting. Thanks for posting.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

Hey your welcome-I think the last thing anyone wants to deal with is dead batteries... My guess a lot of folk have that pack stuffed except the down bags and UQ parts and ready to go... jump in a car and head for the hills... I like dual service items as well as smart back ups.

Recently added products on the internet gives Goal Pro a Run for the money. This is all about what to take when Backpacking so I will relate this as best as I can. The physical collector or panel has gone thru many changes over the years. What you could buy a few years ago, is easily trumped by better quality products. The power gets better, as collection lines get thinner and tighter together according to the innovators over in Japan. Goal Zero & Joos are dominating the market and at the same time are pricier than the rest. but here is the rub - Almost all of them have to have a perfect day to work 100% On the other hand you can flip a Goal Zero backwards to the sun and still get some charge. The only time these larger panels don't work is when you are getting rained on. - Leaves scatter the light, so its 50% nowadays and some charge is better than nothing. Look at the size difference, most of the working panels are 8"x10" or larger. One only has to see something smaller like the size of a DVD and read the complaints on Amazon... The Smaller ones like Solio are budget wasters. There are also a load of knock offs, that appear cheap & lack power management and protection diodes and after a season are broke.

Flex film require far more panels to collect the same amount of power, recently there was a Bear Gryls version, a quite a few complaints. It doesn't mean it doesn't work - but if you remember Bruton was twice as big for a reason, and a hefty price too.
      Measuring circuits ( a series of resistors and chip) on the Motorola Android, Apple Iphone, and Samsung will prevent you from direct charging a smart phone on most solar chargers, the circuit or short on data wire tells the phone you are not using the proprietary charger that came with it...* You charge directly to a battery backup or a older phone and later send the power into the Smart Phone. I will order and test the Anker to see if they solved this.

Enter in a new candidate. Anker 14 Watt 1 Amp per 5volt port 2 amp total gives Goal Pro a boot to the side on price and amount of panels, Charge two Items at the same time!

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Foldable-Dual-port-USB-charged-Including/dp/B00E3OL5U8

[IMG:http://img.dealmoon.com/images/c/14/02/03/2rSBEUU.jpg]

This panel claims 27 ounces.

What I am trying to accomplish is decent power in the woods and charge something during a one to two hour lunch break, and get the weight down as low as I can get it. If there is no sun mount it to the top of the pack and hang it all day... Yea I know there are a few out there (leave it at home) but I have been a geek all my life.