Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Basics for new hikers... Cook Gear

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Learned something on my last hike, worked out well that we carried different stoves, Bethany had a canister, I had alcohol, it was too cold for the canister to function, took a while to get the alcohol burning but we managed to thaw our water bottles and make coffee...all is well...stuck a sausage sandwich in my pocket to thaw while we hiked.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Learned something on my last hike, worked out well that we carried different stoves, Bethany had a canister, I had alcohol, it was too cold for the canister to function, took a while to get the alcohol burning but we managed to thaw our water bottles and make coffee...all is well...stuck a sausage sandwich in my pocket to thaw while we hiked.
      Well without getting into the weeds of what gas is best this has been potato hashed out on several threads. The whole point of gas mixed is to offer something that works on a mountain, oh at high altitude. Canisters apparently fail about 35° give or take. They have different boiling points for gas mix.

Oh there is nothing wrong with throwing your fuel in the refrigerator and testing it.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Our kitchen kit is simple.
      We each carry a metal cup and a long handled spoon in our food bag.
      I carry the pot, pot grabber, stove, wind screen, lighters, fire steel, and fuel.
      During warm weather we use an alcohol stove, during cold weather we use an MSR white gas stove, Simmerlite.
      Also during cold weather I keep the lighters warm in a shirt pocket and and at night in the sleeping bag.
      I just can't get into worrying too much about this stuff.