Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hanging in a room - basement

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hanging in a room - basement

I explored this and several others helped. Part of the problem here is math - getting good hardware to support my weight needs steel pad eyes with lots of long screws and successfully hitting the joists in the ceiling, so you need to explore the joists as to how big and thick they are before going out and buying the hardware...I have 2x8 joists in the basement and I don't connect to the same joist. The ones I picked up were from a boating supply - you won't find them at hardware places. The stainless steel pad eye is rated over 600 lbs each. I vaguely remember getting 2" screws and pre-drilling into the joist with a small pilot drill then sinking the screws. To flatten out the hammock my location spread was 26 feet apart. The pad eyes are above the drop ceiling and hidden with a small cut out for the rope to come thru the drop. So when the hammock is put away - nobody would notice in the mult-use room.

Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

yup... my wife would send me to the basement, too, if i wanted to hang a hammock!

you got me thinking... we were posting about structural ridgelines a couple of weeks ago. your basement hang made me think of a structural ridgeline in compression, not in tension the way they normally work. what if you took a steel tube the actual length of your hammock -- say 9 feet or so -- and fastened your hammock to that. you could then hang/suspend your hammock straight down from the ceiling at the tube endpoints. that would reduce the amount of room you needed to 9 feet. not sure you need that, and not sure you need my rambling, but whatever... looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

Yea if I had a confined 10 x 13 average bedroom - that would work too, I had the space and I wanted it flattened... The wife never did send me to the basement... the snoring did - I would wake up with one ear singing the blues.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: