Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Lake Chinnabee, Cheaha State Park fire

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lake Chinnabee, Cheaha State Park fire

I don't know the details, but a fire started at the Lake Chinnabee area of Cheaha on November 28, 2016. One person told me the wind may have taken it as far as the restaurant on Mt. Cheaha. All I can find on the Cheaha SP web site is there was a fire. County Road 42 is closed.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Looks like it started because someone camping at the lake wanted a camp fire. 4.5 acres burned in Clay county, probably area around the lake. And 15 acres burned in Cleburne county, where the rest of the park is located. The lake area is closed to visitors.

Info on Alabama wild fires, all of them out as of Dec 2, 2016, here is the Alabama Forestry site: forestry.alabama.gov/fire_totals.aspx

The rain that came though the last weekend in November, 2016 helped put the rest out. Some had been contained but not out.

One person I know locally has told me they heard the fire may have reached the restaurant. I haven't been up there, so I don't know what its like there. I doubt they want gawkers in the way anyway.
      --
    • I talked this evening to another ham radio operator, in person, who is in ARES, amateur radio emergency services, and he told me the fire was put out on Nov 28. And it didn't reach the store and restaurant area. Lake Chinnabee area is closed for the winter.

Cheaha SP is open. Typically it is packed for Christmas time.
      --