Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

"Where am I Now?"

• LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

So where on the AT is this?
      It doesn't look like Maine or New Hampshire.
      Nope, that was back in the earlier days on the AT when I still had Academy gear from Boy Scout camping, before investing in reducing weight and buying better gear (such as Leki poles).

Also back before I had a smartphone and could take a picture of myself.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

A hint: if I had smartphone I would have reversed it and taken a picture of me in the rock chair.
      Instead since that was when I just carried a small Cannon camera I took a picture of my old pack in the chair instead.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

Since I have the floor I'm going to change it up just slightly; if I'm lucky enough to get another one right I'll go back to pictures of places.

In 1990 my wife and I hiked the state of Georgia over a series of 5-6 weekend hikes. This is from our first hike. The picture was taken at 3 Forks, which is mile 4 of the AT.

I ran into this 75 year old gentlemen there who coincidentally (we had no idea) was starting his 2nd thru hike of the AT.

Who is it?

(I think we're smiling beacuse we just finished a glass of champagne.)

2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• New

LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

That pack I'm wearing carried stuff a whole lot better than the fancy ULA Catalyst I cuss at now.
      uh oh, I was considering that kind of pack , ULA Catalyst, as it's pounds lighter than what I use now.
      I did plenty of research, and everyone seems to love their ULA packs. I just happen to be old enough to have grown up using external frame packs -- and there is no way any internal frame pack is going to carry the same amount of gear as comfortably as an external. But since the ounce weenies killed off the externals (and the weight "penalty" was well worth it) ya gotta go with the best internal you can find.
      2,000 miler

Post by IMScotty ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • New

max.patch wrote:

Since I have the floor I'm going to change it up just slightly; if I'm lucky enough to get another one right I'll go back to pictures of places.

In 1990 my wife and I hiked the state of Georgia over a series of 5-6 weekend hikes. This is from our first hike. The picture was taken at 3 Forks, which is mile 4 of the AT.

I ran into this 75 year old gentlemen there who coincidentally (we had no idea) was starting his 2nd thru hike of the AT.

Who is it?

(I think we're smiling beacuse we just finished a glass of champagne.)

Ed Garvey!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

IMScotty wrote:

Ed Garvey!
      Correct!

You can drive to 3 Forks on a forest service road. The Georgia ATC had a surprise reception for Ed when he arrived; about 20 members who set up a couple folding tables with fruit, baked goods, and champagne. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I immediately recognized him.

Ed's first book, which described his 1970 thru hike, is considered by many to be "the" book which raised awareness of thru hiking. He was very active with the ATC during his life, and was one of the 6 charter members of the AT Hall of Fame.

He didn't complete his 1990 thru hike attempt. (Going from memory now) -- He made it to Duncannon and realized he would not be able to finish on time. He flipped up to Katahdin and hiked SOBO to Gorham. When he got to Gorham his body told him he had had enough and he stopped his hike. He realized that hiking thru New Hampshire would be difficult -- and since he had already done the Whites about a half dozen times he didn't need to do it just for sake of doing it.

While in Duncannon he stayed at the Doyle -- and the way he described the filth in his room and the bathtub -- I believe he had it worse than I did. He concluded his description by saying "Needless to say, we only stayed one night in Duncannon."

OK Scott, you're up!
      2,000 miler
    • New

Max,

I think you are so lucky to have met Ed Garvey on the trail. He wrote a great book and was an important steward for the AT.
      This was actually his third thru attempt, he had completed two previously.

I'll post something here in a few days.

S
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier