Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hey let's discuss taking girls and grandaughters - first experiences

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hey let's discuss taking girls and grandaughters - first experiences

Well tonight Deanna asked Ashley if she would like to go shopping at the mall. "nope" Well I walked into the room and discussed a walk with the dogs... She jumped up and parked her butt in the car... faster than the dogs...

This is an encouraging video

Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I went hiking with my Mom and sisters when I was only about 60 pounds. Things that would have made it more fun: Less weight(my pack was 16lbs.), keep it no more than 10 percent of the childs weight. A hip belt on the pack, our Girl scout packs put all the load on the shoulders, I still remember the pain. We did not carry knives, we each had a whistle and a poncho, water bottle, our clothes, and real heavy sleeping bags. It made me the Lightweight backpacker I am today.
    • My sisters joined Girl Scouts and I joined Boy Scouts. I was the only one who used a pack with a belt and that was in the 1970s. I was an adult leader by then. Tents were canvas and regular sleeping bags were very heavy and bulky. I remember when the shock cord dome tents cam we out. Very expensive.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Sandy gives good advice. I would add to always remember that with kids especially, it is not about the miles. Pick a short distance and let them explore every rock, stream and squirrel. Nothing like a nice stream for a kid to throw rocks and play in while granddad soaks his tired feet.

Also, pack a nice picnic lunch.

Also, while I don't usually do campfires in my regular hiking, with kids it is a must. I would plan my destination around they ability to have a campfire too.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • About 8 years,ago, my youngest daughter was in high school. She expressed an interest in backpacking. We had always done lots of car camping when she was growing up. I helped her to equip with some basic gear and the two of us went on a two night trip to North Manitou Island. We hiked the perimeter of the island including an off-trail beach walk around the southern tip. It was a great trip. Unfortunately she didn't stick with it. Here we are taking a break by the shore. The dock where you get dropped off is on the horizon.

• CoachLou wrote:

This isn't a pink thread is it???

I have not read one response yet..........
      But

Their mother should be there....... first time

Go ahead... have at this old bugger! :whistling:
      Yea it is a pink thread. I am seriously looking for help. I grew up with two brothers and a son, now I have a granddaughter who wants to share my values. I thought it would be appropriate to reach out to folks smarter than me. Would that not be wise? FYI I paid a lot of out of pocket money for my son's divorce. So there isn't a "mommy" she lives in Ohio after she got out of incarceration, that she deserved.

Ashley sends me as her grandfather into new directions I have not anticipated. Why not reach out to the group for a little insight... No worries.
    • I am lucky that I have an understanding group of like minded folks that enjoy hiking and backpacking in unimaginable ways. Why not start a thread about daughters and granddaughters on the trail?

Added - I can teach her to poop in the woods, that's a givin. I am asking what keeps it upbeat and fun?
      Images
      • 20160720_202015.jpg

219.85 kB, 800×600, viewed 353 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• It is so important for kids to have positive role models in their lives, congratulations WOO for doing your part.

In my life I can say with certainty that the calm healing effect of being in nature has helped me move on from painful experiences and made me a better person. I am sure your efforts will be helpful to your granddaughter.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • First place I took my daughter camping was in the national park campground on Ocracoke Island. We had a blast. Cooked on the old coleman two burner stove, made a camp fire on the beach, watched the sunset, and of course walked on the beach and swam in the ocean. Twenty years later and she still talks about what great time she had. We have also camped in the SNP many times.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

I am lucky that I have an understanding group of like minded folks that enjoy hiking and backpacking in unimaginable ways. Why not start a thread about daughters and granddaughters on the trail?

Added - I can teach her to poop in the woods, that's a givin. I am asking what keeps it upbeat and fun?
      Her age and interests should dictate where you go, how far you hike, and what you do. Don't mold her to your way of thinking and doing things but mold your way of thinking and doing things to fit her.

For instance, you planned a destination and she's cranky and not having fun, adapt and change your plans and throw rocks in the creek instead (ooh, is that LNT-incorrect?)

She wants to carry her doll or favorite toy in her backpack, let her.

I suppose it's just common-sense parenting.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

I am lucky that I have an understanding group of like minded folks that enjoy hiking and backpacking in unimaginable ways. Why not start a thread about daughters and granddaughters on the trail?

I suppose it's just common-sense parenting.
      In this day and age common sense isn't very common.
      I'm betting that WOO is gonna do it right :thumbup:
    • Has she ever been camping before at all? One of my favorite things to do when I was a kid was camp in the backyard. I didn't have to go far and if for some reason I was over the "trip" by the end of the night, well, my bed was just inside the house. It was even better if I had friends over and my parents supervised a "camp" fire.

Hiking, I don't really remember a time I wasn't in the woods but I do know that my parents took my sister and I on lots of day trips. Just long enough to spend a few hours bouncing around through the woods, preferably with a fun water feature near by and a place to stop for lunch or a snack along the way before heading back to the car. When we were both really young, my parents carried everything which was usually just a day pack or small cooler. As I got older and more interested in overnight trips, I carried my own pack and was much more well versed in the great outdoors.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • I don't know why so any women shun the outdoors.
      My boss says his wife's idea of camping is to open the windows while staying in a high end hotel.
      Kathy and I are one of just a few couples I know where both husband and wife love the outdoors, I'm one lucky and thankful guy. And to you ladies who do enjoy the outdoors, do what you can to get your friends to experience it at least once.
    • Astro wrote:

My wife can enjoy a day hike, but at the end of the day she does not give up modern conveniences (shower/bath, bed , electricity, etc.).
      Same here except she adds the restriction of wanting to do a loop hike. I did manage to get get her to spend two nights in a tent on Horseshoe Mesa in the Grand Canyon.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Ewok11 wrote:

Has she ever been camping before at all? One of my favorite things to do when I was a kid was camp in the backyard. I didn't have to go far and if for some reason I was over the "trip" by the end of the night, well, my bed was just inside the house. It was even better if I had friends over and my parents supervised a "camp" fire.

Hiking, I don't really remember a time I wasn't in the woods but I do know that my parents took my sister and I on lots of day trips. Just long enough to spend a few hours bouncing around through the woods, preferably with a fun water feature near by and a place to stop for lunch or a snack along the way before heading back to the car. When we were both really young, my parents carried everything which was usually just a day pack or small cooler. As I got older and more interested in overnight trips, I carried my own pack and was much more well versed in the great outdoors.
      She will start next year - she will sleep outside in the yard. I ditched all the two person tents anyway, the troop loves them. I only have singles and 6 and 8 man tents. Unfortunately the yard gets a lot of road noise in the night.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I don't know why so any women shun the outdoors.
      My boss says his wife's idea of camping is to open the windows while staying in a high end hotel.
      Kathy and I are one of just a few couples I know where both husband and wife love the outdoors, I'm one lucky and thankful guy. And to you ladies who do enjoy the outdoors, do what you can to get your friends to experience it at least once.
      I have an acquaintance that says...
      "I pay way to high taxes to sleep on the ground"
    • Life is good - she came up from the basement apartment and showed me a book, that discussed Cosmic Cocoa .... Never heard of it.... So as a fun moment... I opened a cabinet in the kitchen,.... gave some thought, and retrieved the Dark chocolate Nestle semi-sweet a 1/3 of a can of Condensed Milk and melted that down. Added a pinch of Cinnamon, and enough 2% Milk hot to make 2 cups....

Priceless.....

I can Deliver Cosmic Cocoa....... Not something I can do everyday....