Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Max's 1 Tip For Prospective 2017 Thru-Hikers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Max's 1 Tip For Prospective 2017 Thru-Hikers

so ya wanna take a 6 month vacation and spend it hiking on the AT, hopefully all the way from georgia to maine, but you're not sure if ya can do it? here's 1 easy questionnaire that's gonna give ya the "go" or "no go" information you need. every question must be answered with a "yes". just one "no" and ya gotta stay home. take the test again next year. here ya go:

1. if you are married or in a long term relationship -- and ya wanna stay that way -- has your significant other given you the o.k.?
      2. you have no kids under 18, right?
      3. you have saved enough for the 6 month hike, AND fixed expenses while you are gone, if any (mortgage, student loans, car payment, etc), AND 3 months of living expenses while you look for employment when you return. (ignore the last one if you were lucky enough to score a leave of absence from your current employer.)
      4. based on your work experience, and current conditions in your particular industry, you are confident that you will be able to secure an equivalent position paying the same salary as you are currently making.
      that's it! if ya said "yes" to all 4 questions, have a great vacation, pass all the white blazes, and get that certificate. if ya had a "no" then spend a week at the beach and take the test next year. the trail will be ready when you are.
      2,000 miler
    • Still can't pass for 2017, so I will just finish the last 440 miles of my section hike.

Hope to pass on 2020, with 1 being yes go for it, instead of just OK go ahead and do whatever you want. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Still can't pass for 2017, so I will just finish the last 440 miles of my section hike.

Hope to pass on 2020, with 1 being yes go for it, instead of just OK go ahead and do whatever you want. :)
      Wise man. That statement should be considered a No. :)
      Especially when it comes with "The Look".
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Still can't pass for 2017, so I will just finish the last 440 miles of my section hike.

OK, go ahead and do whatever you want, actually means "Don't expect your key to work when you get back!"
    • max.patch wrote:

so ya wanna take a 6 month vacation and spend it hiking on the AT, hopefully all the way from georgia to maine, but you're not sure if ya can do it? here's 1 easy questionnaire that's gonna give ya the "go" or "no go" information you need. every question must be answered with a "yes". just one "no" and ya gotta stay home. take the test again next year. here ya go:

1. if you are married or in a long term relationship -- and ya wanna stay that way -- has your significant other given you the o.k.?
      3. you have saved enough for the 6 month hike, AND fixed expenses while you are gone, if any (mortgage, student loans, car payment, etc), AND 3 months of living expenses while you look for employment when you return. (ignore the last one if you were lucky enough to score a leave of absence from your current employer.)
      4. based on your work experience, and current conditions in your particular industry, you are confident that you will be able to secure an equivalent position paying the same salary as you are currently making.
      that's it! if ya said "yes" to all 4 questions, have a great vacation, pass all the white blazes, and get that certificate. if ya had a "no" then spend a week at the beach and take the test next year. the trail will be ready when you are.

Party Pooper :(
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Party Pooper :(
      feel free to ignore me! just my opinion. i don't claim to know the one true way to go for a hike.
      2,000 miler
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

OK, go ahead and do whatever you want, actually means "Don't expect your key to work when you get back!"
      Note the feminine response. ;)

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • LIhikers wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how and when to ask Kathy if she'd mind if a went for a little walk from New York to Ohio.
      I'd like to do it this spring but...............and then there's the issue of my job. We'll see :/
      dollars, always the dollars!

I'd love to walk out the door to the train and go from there, a benefit of livin' in a junction...maybe one day!
    • SandyofPA wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

was told something like that years ago. 2 days later her key didn't work.
    • chief wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

was told something like that years ago. 2 days later her key didn't work.
      Cof124
    • meat wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how and when to ask Kathy if she'd mind if a went for a little walk from New York to Ohio.
      I'd like to do it this spring but...............and then there's the issue of my job. We'll see :/
      dollars, always the dollars!
      I'd love to walk out the door to the train and go from there, a benefit of livin' in a junction...maybe one day!
      The job issue isn't really about the dollars.
      It's the fact that I really enjoy the work I do and get a lot of satisfaction from it.
      I doubt I'd find another job when finished hiking because of my age, 64.
      I'll have to did out my company handbook and see if there's anything in there about a leave of absence.
    • LIhikers wrote:

meat wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

dollars, always the dollars!I'd love to walk out the door to the train and go from there, a benefit of livin' in a junction...maybe one day!
      The job issue isn't really about the dollars.It's the fact that I really enjoy the work I do and get a lot of satisfaction from it.
      I doubt I'd find another job when finished hiking because of my age, 64.
      I'll have to did out my company handbook and see if there's anything in there about a leave of absence.
      What's the potential to become an independent contractor?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • LIhikers wrote:

I could go that route but it's a whole different animal.
      I've done it before, I could do it again.
      It's what I've been doing for a couple of years now. A little bit of a PITA with having your own health care plan and self employed pension plan, but once you set it up it's on autopilot. And I get to take off pretty much whenever I want to. You have earn more per hour to cover all those costs, but the people I work for understand all that.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • SandyofPA wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

I thought it meant don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

It's what I've been doing for a couple of years now. A little bit of a PITA with having your own health care plan and self employed pension plan, but once you set it up it's on autopilot. And I get to take off pretty much whenever I want to. You have earn more per hour to cover all those costs, but the people I work for understand all that.
      JJ, what are doing about health? my cobra runs out in feb, i took a look at the exchange and the cheapest thing they had was $700 a month and none of my doctors participated. bend over and take it like a man? :(
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

JJ, what are doing about health? my cobra runs out in feb, i took a look at the exchange and the cheapest thing they had was $700 a month and none of my doctors participated. bend over and take it like a man? :(
      I just switched from Coventry to Anthem and luckily all my docs are in network. I can't work a full 40 hrs a week for the full year or it bites me come tax time and I have to repay some of my health care credit. Hence the many vacations I take. For 2017 I'm planning on working about 5 months max.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference