Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

winter gear list

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• winter gear list

this is what i carried on a recent trip, with low temps of around 15 degrees... I was asked to post this, honest! Total carried weight 11 to 12 pounds, with a maximum 3/4 liter water for another 1 1/2 pounds, and 4 pounds of food to start, for a total pack of 16 or 17 pounds walking into the woods.

Worn/carried:
      New Balance Minimus trail runners
      Superfeet inserts
      Rocky goretex sock
      Heavy weight mid-calf old school wool sock
      Dirty girl gaiters
      Capilene 4 hoody top
      Ex oficio hiking shorts
      marino wool tights
      Patagonia synchilla gloves
      Heavy weight wool sock over gloves if required (see clothing list)
      Patagonia windshirt
      Marino wool buff
      Brooks baseball cap
      Titanium Leki women’s fixed length downhill ski poles
      Aqua mira with capped extra mix bottle
      ex oficio zip nylon “wallet” with credit cards, license and money
      Android phone
      Maps
      Sling to carry water under windshirt
      Sunglasses clip

In pack:
      Gossamer gear mariposa without metal stay inserts
      Silnylon pack cover
      Plastic bag pack liner

Sleep system – nano hammock with whoopie sling suspension, tree straps, marlin spike
      uninsulated Hammock fabric winter oversock

Warbonnet winter torso length underquilt (rarely worn under frogg togg pants in camp)
      Warbonnet spinn tarp/4 titanium stakes
      Gossamer gear foam sit pad for under feet in sleeping bag (also used as part of pack)
      Mountain Hardware women’s Phantom 15 degree down bag (also worn under frogg togg jacket in camp) stowed loose in bottom of pack

Clothing – oversize frogg togg bottom and top, legs cut to correct length, arms left extra long to go over gloves if cold/rainy
      Cedar's prototype cuben camp shoes
      Marmot synthetic puffy pants and sweater
      Spare pair extra heavy wool socks (for gloves -- switch out to wear. keep in sleeping bag to dry)
      Smartwool lightweight ankle height socks for sleepwear
      Uniqlo down sweater
      All stowed loose in pack above sleeping bag and underquilt (no stuffbags...)

Cooking-- .6L titanium cookpot with lid, qiwiz firefly wood stove with esbit adapter, Vaseline cotton balls, 3 esbit tabs, 2 bic cigarette lighters. (all in Ziploc -- except one lighter kept in pocket)

Miscellaneous in ziplock – headlamp, toilet tissue, hand sanitizer, toothbrush, floss, 30 feet kite string, zip ties, duct tape, hydropel, single edged razor, plastic spoon, bacitracin, ibuprofen, pencil, 2 extra cellphone batteries, plastic newspaper bags for overmitts

1 liter Poland spring eco-bottle
      ¾ liter plastic water bottle

Food: 1 ½ pounds per day

5 degree or so colder weather forecast:
      add 1/8” foam wearable back and butt pad to sleep system
      swap out breathable wind shirt for waterproof/vapor barrier shirt
      bring down vest or sweater (brought on this trip because of extra hanging out in camp time)
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • Re:winter gear list

no. Malto is seriously light. his pack was around 2/3 of mine! he wants his pack to be small enough and light enough to run with comfortably. now that is a different world. I know i have a weight/volume penalty because i hammock.
    • Re:winter gear list

1azarus wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

That is seriously light. I'm packed for five days and it's probably10# -more.

Could Maltos pack be even smaller? I'm sorry....it looked like a book-bag to me! :lol:

i think it was a book bag, now that you say it... he was carrying a book inside:
      "How to Stay Warm by Reading a Book," By Aryou Kiddingme

See now there is the dig......he kept plenty warm.............fetchin' all that wood and getting singed with Moose while Big Eyes played with the fire! :lol:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • winter gear list

1azarus wrote:

this is what i carried on a recent trip, with low temps of around 15 degrees... I was asked to post this, honest! Total carried weight 11 to 12 pounds, with a maximum 3/4 liter water for another 1 1/2 pounds, and 4 pounds of food to start, for a total pack of 16 or 17 pounds walking into the woods.

Worn/carried:
      New Balance Minimus trail runners
      Superfeet inserts
      Rocky goretex sock
      Heavy weight mid-calf old school wool sock
      Dirty girl gaiters
      Capilene 4 hoody top
      Ex oficio hiking shorts
      marino wool tights
      Patagonia synchilla gloves
      Heavy weight wool sock over gloves if required (see clothing list)
      Patagonia windshirt
      Marino wool buff
      Brooks baseball cap
      Titanium Leki women’s fixed length downhill ski poles
      Aqua mira with capped extra mix bottle
      ex oficio zip nylon “wallet” with credit cards, license and money
      Android phone
      Maps
      Sling to carry water under windshirt
      Sunglasses clip

In pack:
      Gossamer gear mariposa without metal stay inserts
      Silnylon pack cover
      Plastic bag pack liner

Sleep system – nano hammock with whoopie sling suspension, tree straps, marlin spike
      uninsulated Hammock fabric winter oversock

Warbonnet winter torso length underquilt (rarely worn under frogg togg pants in camp)
      Warbonnet spinn tarp/4 titanium stakes
      Gossamer gear foam sit pad for under feet in sleeping bag (also used as part of pack)
      Mountain Hardware women’s Phantom 15 degree down bag (also worn under frogg togg jacket in camp) stowed loose in bottom of pack

Clothing – oversize frogg togg bottom and top, legs cut to correct length, arms left extra long to go over gloves if cold/rainy
      Cedar's prototype cuben camp shoes
      Marmot synthetic puffy pants and sweater
      Spare pair extra heavy wool socks (for gloves -- switch out to wear. keep in sleeping bag to dry)
      Smartwool lightweight ankle height socks for sleepwear
      Uniqlo down sweater
      JACKS R BETTER DOWN ARM SLEEVES -- worn on arms in camp, on legs in hammock
      All stowed loose in pack above sleeping bag and underquilt (no stuffbags...)

Cooking-- .6L titanium cookpot with lid, qiwiz firefly wood stove with esbit adapter, Vaseline cotton balls, 3 esbit tabs, 2 bic cigarette lighters. (all in Ziploc -- except one lighter kept in pocket)

Miscellaneous in ziplock – headlamp, toilet tissue, hand sanitizer, toothbrush, floss, 30 feet kite string, zip ties, duct tape, hydropel, single edged razor, plastic spoon, bacitracin, ibuprofen, pencil, 2 extra cellphone batteries, plastic newspaper bags for overmitts

1 liter Poland spring eco-bottle
      ¾ liter plastic water bottle

Food: 1 ½ pounds per day

5 degree or so colder weather forecast:
      add 1/8” foam wearable back and butt pad to sleep system
      swap out breathable wind shirt for waterproof/vapor barrier shirt
      bring down vest or sweater (brought on this trip because of extra hanging out in camp time)

i was up all night cause i remembered i left something off the list... reason why i need to start packing to hike, like, 1 week in advance. i added down arm sleeves to the list...
    • CoachLou wrote:

1azarus wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Could Maltos pack be even smaller? I'm sorry....it looked like a book-bag to me! :lol:

i think it was a book bag, now that you say it... he was carrying a book inside:

See now there is the dig......he kept plenty warm.............fetchin' all that wood and getting singed with Moose while Big Eyes played with the fire! :lol:

Has anyone seen or heard from Big Eyes since last winter?
    • LIhikers wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

1azarus wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Has anyone seen or heard from Big Eyes since last winter?

I believe she was FB friends with Moose.....but I also think she was trying this out to see if she could do a thru. She seemed resourceful and capable.............that second nite was cold! :whistling:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • I use lighters in winter. I keep them in a front pants pocket. I have good circulation and warm hands, so I warm the lighter up in my hands before use. It has a smaller flame in winter.

If you keep lighters in a pants pocket, your movements may activate the fuel valve. I was surprised to find my Bic lighter drained of fuel. I had a backup in my pack.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does