Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cholesterol and hiking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cholesterol and hiking

Well the results are in. And once again hiking has lowered my cholesterol. Down 32 points!! Proof that good old exercise is well, just plain good for you. So get outside people and do something. Go take a hike!
      Bbbbbllllllllrrrrrrtttttt!!!!!!! :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Well the results are in. And once again hiking has lowered my cholesterol. Down 32 points!! Proof that good old exercise is well, just plain good for you. So get outside people and do something. Go take a hike!
      particularly on T-Day...when the Cowboys are playing.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • jimmyjam wrote:

My new hobby of cooking has got me thinkin' mine will be up this time, I gotta learn how to cook different...but butter, lard and cream will surely be missed.
    • I eat real butter, never margarine. And eggs with breakfast 3 times a week. I do limit my red meat to a couple of times a month and eat lots of raw and steamed veggies. But on my recent hike I know I ate 60 candy bars and all kinds of other junk. But I guess my body just burned all that bad up and blew it out- literally. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • helps most, not all. gator gump wrote in his book how lousy his pre hike numbers were. he didn't address the post hike results in his book. so i asked him; he said both he and his doctor were disappointed that there was not much change in his numbers at all. for those not familiar, this is a middle aged guy who did a thru.

if ya read his book -- this just mighta been karma. :)
      2,000 miler
    • meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

My new hobby of cooking has got me thinkin' mine will be up this time, I gotta learn how to cook different...but butter, lard and cream will surely be missed.
      Butter, lard and cream are all fats that our bodies can use, it is the Franken oils that are extracted using hexane and high pressure that you need to avoid. Stay away from soy, corn, cottonseed, and canola oils if you want to be healthy. President Eisenhower had a cholesterol of 150, the 4th heart attack killed him. Lowering cholesterol was based on bad science, and now statins are making the drug companies billions a year so they don't want anyone hearing about the real study results. My personal goal is to remain a person not a patient! I see a Doctor only when my sister visits (she is an MD), and She doesn't treat family! :D
    • SandyofPA wrote:

meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Butter, lard and cream are all fats that our bodies can use, it is the Franken oils that are extracted using hexane and high pressure that you need to avoid. Stay away from soy, corn, cottonseed, and canola oils if you want to be healthy. President Eisenhower had a cholesterol of 150, the 4th heart attack killed him. Lowering cholesterol was based on bad science, and now statins are making the drug companies billions a year so they don't want anyone hearing about the real study results. My personal goal is to remain a person not a patient! I see a Doctor only when my sister visits (she is an MD), and She doesn't treat family! :D
      you make some interesting assertions, what evidence do you base them on?
    • chief wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

How deep do you want to study? , jackkruse.com/, intensivedietarymanagement.com/, just for starters.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

chief wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

How deep do you want to study? , jackkruse.com/, intensivedietarymanagement.com/, just for starters.
      Thanks Sandy, I'll certainly look that over.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

chief wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

ah the infamous dr. kruse, i should have known. thanks heaps.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I eat real butter, never margarine. And eggs with breakfast 3 times a week. I do limit my red meat to a couple of times a month and eat lots of raw and steamed veggies. But on my recent hike I know I ate 60 candy bars and all kinds of other junk. But I guess my body just burned all that bad up and blew it out- literally. :)
      just want to say that I like the new signature line. :thumbup:
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I can't think of anything good about margarine. I was very disappointed when my wife was served margarine for lunch at the hospital today.

For those looking for good nutritional information that is based on peer reviewed science, and not on fads, gimmicks, conventional wisdom, simplistic answers, or Zealots, I like Authority Nutrition. Here is a good example of an article explaining some of the real story on dietary cholesterol. Spoiler alert - full-fat dairy products and whole eggs are on their "healthiest foods on the planet." list. So the next time you go to a restaurant and see a fat free egg white omlett on the "heart healthy" menu, you will know enough to complain that they are perpetuating nutritional myths.

authoritynutrition.com/dietary-cholesterol-does-not-matter/