Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

gout

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ok, i was fine when i went to bed last nite and during the nite my big toe started feeling like it was sprained or something. now its morning and it feels like it's broken. i'm guessing its gout, but i've never had it before. i normally hike 6 days a week, yesterday was my day off so it isn't something i did to it yesterday. looks like today is an unplanned day off. off to the doctor tomorrow if no change. i'm glad i woke up in my house and not somewhere on the trail a days hike from the car. anyone here ever have gout?
      2,000 miler
    • I've got something going on with the ball of my left foot, don't know what it is but x-rays show it's mechanically okay, every step hurts, may have never recooped from the rocks on my last AT section, they hurt so bad it was painful for my sleeping bag to touch them....ain't nothing worse than aching balls when your trying to hike. The foot doctor I went to a few days ago was pretty nice, I told him I thought the toe raises with heavy weights I was doing at the gym seemed to aggravate it, he didn't just come right out and call me a dumbass, he said if you're hitting yourself in the head with a hammer and it hurts, you might want to consider stopping.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • max.patch wrote:

ok, i was fine when i went to bed last nite and during the nite my big toe started feeling like it was sprained or something. now its morning and it feels like it's broken. i'm guessing its gout, but i've never had it before. i normally hike 6 days a week, yesterday was my day off so it isn't something i did to it yesterday. looks like today is an unplanned day off. off to the doctor tomorrow if no change. i'm glad i woke up in my house and not somewhere on the trail a days hike from the car. anyone here ever have gout?
      My son-in-law has it, worst side effect is he has to give up booz, alcohol seems to cause it to flare up.
    • Some of us and our bodies are acidic and the some are alkaline and this usually measured using a pH scale ranging from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral (in the middle) and anything below 7 is considered acidic and anything above is obviously considered alkaline. So what baking soda actually does is, it increases the blood and body fluids Ph level which then makes uric acid more soluble, which in turn makes it easier to flush out of the kidneys, restoring this natural alkaline balance. The blood is able to hold more uric acid without crystallizing which causes your gout attack. By alkalizing your blood, it will also alkalize your urine making your uric acid more readily excreted avoiding kidney stones made from uric acid and remember to use pH strips to test the alkalinity of your urine. You can buy those on Amazon.com. You can also try Alkaline water drops which if you do, you can drink less glasses of water, usually only 5 on average daily. The best way to alkalize your body is through proper diet which we will discuss in a future post in greater detail.
      Finally, baking soda is not a cure-it-all for gout, there are many gout sufferers, about 15% who have stated that it didn’t work on them as confirmed by an online poll done on the subject but 85% stated that baking soda did have a positive effect on them which makes baking soda a classic home remedy for us gout sufferers in my book.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I've been dealing with it for years. I've never had it in my toes. It will affect my knees & ankles. For relief try some cherries & some tumeric mixed with water. A trip to the doc will give you options. I manage mine without daily medication by diet. I rarely eat red meat or pork anymore, no shellfish. Alcohol is bad, beer being about the worst. There is a ton of contradictions on what is ok & what is bad for you. I've even found local water can affect me. Watersheds with limestone sources will cause it to flare up. Exercise also make a big difference. While at the Fort where I do physicly work each and every day I don't have to pay as much attention to my diet. When work is more sedentary I have to take more care.

For mediation when I have an attack I find Indomethacinto work the best Colcrys also helps. Talk with your doc about your options. Some friends take drugs every day to keep their Uric Acid levels down & avoid flare ups. I've managed to avoid that so far.
    • Drybones wrote:

I've got something going on with the ball of my left foot, don't know what it is but x-rays show it's mechanically okay, every step hurts, may have never recooped from the rocks on my last AT section, they hurt so bad it was painful for my sleeping bag to touch them....ain't nothing worse than aching balls when your trying to hike. The foot doctor I went to a few days ago was pretty nice, I told him I thought the toe raises with heavy weights I was doing at the gym seemed to aggravate it, he didn't just come right out and call me a dumbass, he said if you're hitting yourself in the head with a hammer and it hurts, you might want to consider stopping.
      You should visit a podiatrist, As we hike we compress or loose important fat and muscle under the foot, this strains the tendons.
      Metatarsalgia

CLICK HERE
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I've been dealing with it for years. I've never had it in my toes. It will affect my knees & ankles. For relief try some cherries & some tumeric mixed with water. A trip to the doc will give you options. I manage mine without daily medication by diet. I rarely eat red meat or pork anymore, no shellfish. Alcohol is bad, beer being about the worst. There is a ton of contradictions on what is ok & what is bad for you. I've even found local water can affect me. Watersheds with limestone sources will cause it to flare up. Exercise also make a big difference. While at the Fort where I do physicly work each and every day I don't have to pay as much attention to my diet. When work is more sedentary I have to take more care.

For mediation when I have an attack I find Indomethacinto work the best Colcrys also helps. Talk with your doc about your options. Some friends take drugs every day to keep their Uric Acid levels down & avoid flare ups. I've managed to avoid that so far.
      Cherries and fruit juice are high in acid and will make it worse - tried that too. This raises the acid in the blood aggravating the condition. I even tried real cranberry juice - you need Alkaline not acid.
    • max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Reach into the refrigerator - grab the baking soda - 1 tablespoon and stir into 6 oz of water - drink it. some of the pain will deminish in an hour. do it each morning for the next three days.
      google sez it's not 100% effective, but it seems to help more people than it doesn't. i'll give it a shot. thanks.
      it works for 85% of Gout Sufferer's Its quick and easy until you can get to a doctor, and get the real medicine

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• I got da Gout! Meds work great for it, baking soda will likely spike your blood pressure, and while avoiding all the things mentioned, you can still have bouts if your pre-disposed i.e.; arthritis. One of the problems with the good stuff (meds) it's really hard on the stomouch and causes diariah, most can't tolerate it...I'm lucky in that I can...for the most part.
    • My last Gout attack was March of this year, I have high blood pressure, he needed help in a pinch and I know it works. Baking Soda can reduce the attack and reduce the length of time to heal and I would still recommend getting to a Doctor. Yes it can spike BP but considering he may be in so much pain that one would want to cut off the big toe, he needs all the help he can get.
    • 24 hours later...

i'm not gpoing to attempt to go hiking today or tomorrow, but much much better and i think i can function normally now (except exercise). going to continue to self medicate and see no reason for a doctor visit as this looks like its gonna clear up on its own. baking soda and nasids every 4 hours is what i've done. thanks for all the suggestions.

man did that hurt!
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• After a suggestion from Scotty, I'm going to have a lyme test done. I've had two trigger finger surgeries (first one in the exact spot on my hand where a tick had me,bothered me for weeks), and my shoulder, thumb, groin, and now foot are bothering me, I've had xrays of the foot and shoulder and nothing showed mechanically wrong.
    • Drybones wrote:

After a suggestion from Scotty, I'm going to have a lyme test done. I've had two trigger finger surgeries (first one in the exact spot on my hand where a tick had me,bothered me for weeks), and my shoulder, thumb, groin, and now foot are bothering me, I've had xrays of the foot and shoulder and nothing showed mechanically wrong.
      What location on the AT, or other trail did the tick incident happen?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

24 hours later...

i'm not gpoing to attempt to go hiking today or tomorrow, but much much better and i think i can function normally now (except exercise). going to continue to self medicate and see no reason for a doctor visit as this looks like its gonna clear up on its own. baking soda and nasids every 4 hours is what i've done. thanks for all the suggestions.

man did that hurt!
      Great - Glad you didn't cut that toe off.... Go to the doc anyway and reduce drinking Beer, Fruit Juice, and get a prescription and consultation as this will flare up again in the near future. Get checked for Lyme and Rocky Mountain.
    • Dan76 wrote:

This thread is resembling a Dr Oz segment.
      I never watched the guy, I guess he got his start on Oprah. I am not a fan of home remedies, but I am a believer in first hand experience, backed up by real science.

One of side affects to taking the prescription HTZ for high blood pressure, is a rare break out of skin problems such as psoriasis, last month I got it for the first time on one foot really bad (bleeding & ouzzing) after a hike. We were sitting around a campfire and one of my friends pipped up that he got this too and used a topical cream of Colloidal Silver. I looked into it and $20 later (Well I am not going to drink it) 4 days the skin was looking much better, a week and it was healed. No need for the doctor after all. And a small amount would last a year or two.
    • Drybones wrote:

After a suggestion from Scotty, I'm going to have a lyme test done. I've had two trigger finger surgeries (first one in the exact spot on my hand where a tick had me,bothered me for weeks), and my shoulder, thumb, groin, and now foot are bothering me, I've had xrays of the foot and shoulder and nothing showed mechanically wrong.
      I've spoken to a doc regarding carrying a antibiotic while on extended hikes to use when confronted with Lyme symptoms. She was adamantly opposed, specifically for the need for proper diagnostics prior to administering antibiotics.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I've been bitten many times, the one that got me on the palm of my hand I believe was in the yard.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I've been bitten many times, the one that got me on the palm of my hand I believe was in the yard.
      The one that got me was in my yard. I now do yard work wearing my insect shield hiking clothes. Nasty little buggers. It was only on me about 12hours before I realized I had an extra mole. I had a bullseye 3 days later, 2 weeks of Doxie and no problems since, it has been 3 years.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I've spoken to a doc regarding carrying a antibiotic while on extended hikes to use when confronted with Lyme symptoms. She was adamantly opposed, specifically for the need for proper diagnostics prior to administering antibiotics.
      Yea, I hiked into the same issue - a few years back you could get away with it - not now.... Doctor's must be hearing more health care corporate directives & protocols based on insurance and litigation. 8 years ago a company car wasn't a big deal - now it is, due to insurance deductibles and accidents for example.

I will find out tomorrow when I ask for some Nexium.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Yea, I hiked into the same issue - a few years back you could get away with it - not now.... Doctor's must be hearing more health care corporate directives & protocols based on insurance and litigation. 8 years ago a company car wasn't a big deal - now it is, due to insurance deductibles and accidents for example.
      I will find out tomorrow when I ask for some Nexium.
      why? buy OTC substitute with same active ingredient. omeprazole is dirt cheap at costco.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Yea, I hiked into the same issue - a few years back you could get away with it - not now.... Doctor's must be hearing more health care corporate directives & protocols based on insurance and litigation. 8 years ago a company car wasn't a big deal - now it is, due to insurance deductibles and accidents for example.I will find out tomorrow when I ask for some Nexium.
      why? buy OTC substitute with same active ingredient. omeprazole is dirt cheap at costco.
      I now buy my allergy meds at Sams, huge saving!
    • well, i'm shutting down the gout discussion as i'm 100% now (although you can keep talking about lyme and GERD if ya want). :)

day 1 i was out of commission, day 2 i could get around but no way could i exercise, and day 3 i was back to normal. self medicated day 1 and day 2 with baking soda and NAISDs.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

well, i'm shutting down the gout discussion as i'm 100% now (although you can keep talking about lyme and GERD if ya want). :)

day 1 i was out of commission, day 2 i could get around but no way could i exercise, and day 3 i was back to normal. self medicated day 1 and day 2 with baking soda and NAISDs.
      Great news gif.014.gif - I was out for five days the first time... Glad things are getting back to normal.

As for the doc visit - piece of mind... still going. Thanks for the Generic information.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

The one that got me was in my yard. I now do yard work wearing my insect shield hiking clothes. Nasty little buggers. It was only on me about 12hours before I realized I had an extra mole. I had a bullseye 3 days later, 2 weeks of Doxie and no problems since, it has been 3 years.
      Lyme test came back negative...I can scratch that off...is there a test for getting old, I'm afraid I may have caught that disease,,,hear there's a lot of it going round.
    • Drybones wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Lyme test came back negative...I can scratch that off...is there a test for getting old, I'm afraid I may have caught that disease,,,hear there's a lot of it going round.
      Just do your shots at home instead of at the doctors office. :D
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I might have to get gelded, Dr. coldfinger found a lumpski on my nutski at yesutrdays anaul fizzicle...hell gettin' hold.
    • meat wrote:

Drybones wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I might have to get gelded, Dr. coldfinger found a lumpski on my nutski at yesutrdays anaul fizzicle...hell gettin' hold.
      Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference