Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

How to get a bearing on a compass (Mirror)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• One thing we teach in orienteering (hardly anyone uses a mirror compass) is that you sight to the object on the bearing (off the map), then lower the compass and map and just walk to the object you sighted to. Raise up the map and compass, check the bearing, look around at land features to see if it still seems correct, sight to the farthest object you can see on the bearing. Note that object. Lower it all and hike to that object. Repeat.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

One thing we teach in orienteering (hardly anyone uses a mirror compass) is that you sight to the object on the bearing (off the map), then lower the compass and map and just walk to the object you sighted to. Raise up the map and compass, check the bearing, look around at land features to see if it still seems correct, sight to the farthest object you can see on the bearing. Note that object. Lower it all and hike to that object. Repeat.
      Yeah, hardly anyone uses a mirror compass in the sport of orienteering, but a lot of the time that's all about terrain awareness and a thumb compass, plus an eye for collecting features, is really what you need. Nevertheless, lots of us bushwhackos use mirror sights. Since I've worn bifocals for about twenty years now, I've acquired a distaste for lensatics, even though that's what the teaching materials I use assume. I just add a little bit of material on reading a mirror sight.

You're absolutely right to 'sight an object in the intermediate distance and walk up to it.' Don't pick something so far away that you'll lose sight of it while trying to walk up to it.

In our dense Eastern woods, sometimes the best you can do is to aim WAAAAY off on a handrail and follow the needle, even though that's sure to make you wander some. You just don't get the sight lines when you're pushing through this stuff.
      [IMG:https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5583/14735257191_4918e7667c_z.jpg]
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

One thing we teach in orienteering (hardly anyone uses a mirror compass) is that you sight to the object on the bearing (off the map), then lower the compass and map and just walk to the object you sighted to. Raise up the map and compass, check the bearing, look around at land features to see if it still seems correct, sight to the farthest object you can see on the bearing. Note that object. Lower it all and hike to that object. Repeat.
      Yeah, hardly anyone uses a mirror compass in the sport of orienteering, but a lot of the time that's all about terrain awareness and a thumb compass, plus an eye for collecting features, is really what you need. Nevertheless, lots of us bushwhackos use mirror sights. Since I've worn bifocals for about twenty years now, I've acquired a distaste for lensatics, even though that's what the teaching materials I use assume. I just add a little bit of material on reading a mirror sight.
      You're absolutely right to 'sight an object in the intermediate distance and walk up to it.' Don't pick something so far away that you'll lose sight of it while trying to walk up to it.

In our dense Eastern woods, sometimes the best you can do is to aim WAAAAY off on a handrail and follow the needle, even though that's sure to make you wander some. You just don't get the sight lines when you're pushing through this stuff.
      [IMG:https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5583/14735257191_4918e7667c_z.jpg]
      You look lost :D
    • meat wrote:

You look lost :D

Nope. You can see in the picture, I wasn't lost, I was right there in front of the camera. :)

Elf and I nailed two summit canisters that day, and an off-trail viewpoint. The first peak was easy to navigate, because we could follow the general principle of 'the summit is up.' Getting to the second was more interesting - a direct course would have gone into top-rope territory, so we kind of had to plot our own switchbacks. It wasn't until the third peak of the weekend that we started wandering aimlessly around a flat-topped mountain, wondering which pimple of rock the club had decided to label as the 'summit'. On the first two, we literally walked right up to the caches. Oh, by the way, you'll notice that we both have safety glasses. Highly recommended for pushing through spruce.
      [IMG:https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5589/14714045065_b02ce11ac9_z.jpg]
      [IMG:https://c7.staticflickr.com/4/3905/14690992486_bda5e5d813_z.jpg]
    • My thoughts were to educate my 5 year old Grandaughter about the compass. I pulled out a few compasses and was showing her a few different ones last night . Actually I had no idea why folks were buying the one with the mirror. So I started this thread for others that were not as informed as the regulars here. But I am enjoying this discussion as I am learning from you the benefits of the this type of compass. So huge Thank You to all that posted.

[IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Fun%20Post/Coolowl_zpsf3np2vqb.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • JimBlue wrote:

The flash of light is a warning sign of more problems. Get to an opthamologist. You can lose your eyesight. That is a warning sign my ophthalmologist gave me to watch out for.
      I did get to an ophthalmologist when the flashes started. They were indeed a warning sign of a detached retina. I had it repaired. The surgeon who did the repair says that the flashes are likely to take a few years to subside entirely, and tells me to watch for increased flashes, flashes in a different direction, or new floaters. (I've none of those symptoms.) I'm on the slit lamp and the indirect scope pretty regularly to have the repair inspected. The last time, a couple of months ago, the doc said that he'd see me in a year.

But yes, a sudden onset of flashes is an alarming symptom, and has to be dealt with fast. If you can't get to an ophthalmologist in a day or so, an ER visit is appropriate. That's the route I wound up taking, because the symptoms started on Christmas. The surgeon still talks about that day. There were two other patients with exactly my problem. He said he'd never repaired three torn retinas on the same day before - much less Christmas!
    • LIhikers wrote:

Yea, I know, but it bothers me that I can't read it.
      Guess I'm not liking getting old :(
      Anyone whom continues to wrench on not only helicopters but VW buses is not getting older but is staying young. And let's not forget completing lengthy section hikes in less than ideal weather conditions.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Yea, I know, but it bothers me that I can't read it.
      Guess I'm not liking getting old :(
      Anyone whom continues to wrench on not only helicopters but VW buses is not getting older but is staying young. And let's not forget completing lengthy section hikes in less than ideal weather conditions.
      Thanks for the encouraging words!
      I think right now you're my best friend...lol