Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

December Gear / Personal Test

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• December Gear / Personal Test

I am heading to the family gathering for an early Christmas celebration, which this year is located in the Tri-City Tn area.

Looking to do a two and 1/2 day hike. I would like a little pressure to turn some miles, but I have never hiked / camped before . EVER

I must be dropped off and end up in Erwin.

Plan one -Leaving early a.m. Devils Fork Gap (AT Trail MM 309) Northbound
      Camping at Low Gap, traveling to No Business Knob Gap (or general vicinity ) next day, and final day arriving Erwin TN late afternoon.

At around 33 miles seems alot for a new hiker and I must make Erwin in time for a ride.

Plan 2 - Leaving early a.m. at Sams Gap (AT Trail MM 318) Northbound to Bald Mountain Shelter, traveling to No Business Knob Gap (or general vicinity ) next day, and final day arriving Erwin TN late afternoon.

At around 24 miles that does not seem like a lot for a new hiker and would hate to arrive to early in Erwin.

I have watched videos, read some journals, blogs that seem to indicate he trip from Sams Gap to Erwin is an "easy" two day trip

Any advice -- Suggestions?
    • I would do plan 2. You will need winter gear. For a first hike I recommend waiting until spring. I would do a couple of day hikes instead- that's what I do in winter. I save the overnighters for spring summer and fall.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Start and end in Erwin. Put spare clothing and sleeping bags in tough waterproof bags. Bring a foam pad, even if you have an inflatable pad. Bring a sleeping bag rated at least 10 degrees below the lowest forecast temperature adjusted for elevation. Bring moleskin, white tape, or duct tape for blisters. If you get hypothermia, an MRE might be easier to prepare than cooking with a stove. If you are in a cold rain too long, you will get hypothermia. Decide what combination of rain gear and spare clothing you will use to deal with rain. Check the weather report. Check the USFS/ATC for burn bans, forest fires, trail closings, and water availability. Fallen leaves make the trail difficult to follow. Snow will cover up blazes and trail. Remember which direction is trail north or south when you stop for a break or for the night. Don't camp under a dead limb or tree. Camp somewhere with good drainage, not a clay depression. Don't rely on shepherd hook tent stakes for tent pole guy lines.

Other than that, have a blast.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

The post was edited 1 time, last by WanderingStovie ().

• Max Patch and jimmyjam give sound advice about winter hiking when you are a novice. But some people would do just fine...it depends on your knowledge, gear, and physical abilities (IMO).

Is it okay to ask if you are male or female? In general, women have less cold tolerance so that's important to know when researching sleeping gear and strategies for staying warm.

If you want, post a gear list and tell us a little about yourself. :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I have bought most of my gear, just missing some winter items that I will purchase when I arrive in Tennessee. Finding warm weather gear in Miami is a little difficult and some items I feel better purchasing in person. For the big items, I have a Copper Spur UL 2 Tent, Atmos AG 50 Pack, Trail Lite Pad, Sea to Summit 650 down bag rated to 11 degrees plus an additional inner liner rated for another 10 degrees. I have most of the other items needed for camping such as water filter, lights, raingear, stuffsacks ... ... Based on historical data, I am expecting the weather to be between 30 and 50 degrees so my equipment should be adequate.

I have practiced with the gear including some overnight trips to the back yard. My backpack with food weighs slightly less than 30 pounds.

I have decided to alter my plan based on WanderingStovie's post to start and end in Erwin. It looks like I will be hiking for a few hours north of Erwin to Curley Maple Gap Shelter (or in the general area) and then return to Erwin after an overnight stay. Assuming that goes well, I am going to hike south to another overnighter near No Business Knob Shelter and return to Erwin the following day. This relieves me of the pressure of completing a certain number of miles to catch my ride at the end of the three days.
    • Mountain Mike's tips

1) Insulate yourself from the ground. I use a full length closed cell foam pad & my 3/4 Thermarest for winter.

2) Pitch yur tent where it's sheltered from wind. Avoid low spots where cool air can pool. Also look up for any branches that could break with snow, ice & wind.

3) Go to bed warm. Eat/drink something warm before get in your sleeping bag. A cup of hot cocoa or some warm jello is great.Do a few jumping jacks. Also keep a candy bar/snacks handy if you wake up cold during the night to give your body some fuel. Change into a dry base layer for sleeping. Add clothes depending on your bag.

4) Take a hot water bottle to bed with you. Fill a nalgene with water & wrap in a sock or extra clothes.

5) If your sleeping bag doesn't have a decent draft tube around the neck improvise one. Keep the air you warmed inside your sleeping bag from rushing out everytime you move around. Consider a liner or bivy to boost the rating of your sleeping bag. Even a cheap emergency bivy can make a difference.

6) Keep your head warm. Wear a hat/balaclave, etc. a scarf that goes over your nose & moth help, but don't breath into your sleeping bag. The moisture will degrade the insulation.
    • junky wrote:

I have bought most of my gear, just missing some winter items that I will purchase when I arrive in Tennessee. Finding warm weather gear in Miami is a little difficult and some items I feel better purchasing in person. For the big items, I have a Copper Spur UL 2 Tent, Atmos AG 50 Pack, Trail Lite Pad, Sea to Summit 650 down bag rated to 11 degrees plus an additional inner liner rated for another 10 degrees. I have most of the other items needed for camping such as water filter, lights, raingear, stuffsacks ... ... Based on historical data, I am expecting the weather to be between 30 and 50 degrees so my equipment should be adequate.

I have practiced with the gear including some overnight trips to the back yard. My backpack with food weighs slightly less than 30 pounds.

I have decided to alter my plan based on WanderingStovie's post to start and end in Erwin. It looks like I will be hiking for a few hours north of Erwin to Curley Maple Gap Shelter (or in the general area) and then return to Erwin after an overnight stay. Assuming that goes well, I am going to hike south to another overnighter near No Business Knob Shelter and return to Erwin the following day. This relieves me of the pressure of completing a certain number of miles to catch my ride at the end of the three days.
      Think about using aqua mira to treat your water. Freezing conditions and filters don't work real well. The remaining water inside the filter freezes and expands which breaks the fine membrane in the filter.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • junky wrote:

I have bought most of my gear, just missing some winter items that I will purchase when I arrive in Tennessee. Finding warm weather gear in Miami is a little difficult and some items I feel better purchasing in person. For the big items, I have a Copper Spur UL 2 Tent, Atmos AG 50 Pack, Trail Lite Pad, Sea to Summit 650 down bag rated to 11 degrees plus an additional inner liner rated for another 10 degrees. I have most of the other items needed for camping such as water filter, lights, raingear, stuffsacks ... ... Based on historical data, I am expecting the weather to be between 30 and 50 degrees so my equipment should be adequate.

Let us know how your trip goes. Have a great time.
    • Thanks for all the advice, I completed two days hiking in the area of Erwin, TN. The weather was very cold, around 18 degrees, but I felt that my gear was appropriate for the weather. I had insulted pants but was surprised how hot I got while hiking. I had to shed layers where I was able but need a better coat that would balance heat retention. I also had a problem with having too heavy a hat with no replacement.

Coming out of Erwin, I headed north on the trail spending most of the day hiking. I ended up camping along side a stream in a valley which might have been a mistake but I failed to make it back to the shelter. The second day, I travel back into Erwin and headed south on the trail, after stopping by Uncle Johnnys. Overall, I felt that the hike went well except for a couple issues.

The lack of fire was disappointing but understandable. I was also a lot unprepared for the difficulty due to the mountain terrain but I am going to do a couple more training hikes in Torreya State Park in Florida.
    • junky wrote:

Thanks for all the advice, I completed two days hiking in the area of Erwin, TN. The weather was very cold, around 18 degrees, but I felt that my gear was appropriate for the weather. I had insulted pants but was surprised how hot I got while hiking. I had to shed layers where I was able but need a better coat that would balance heat retention. I also had a problem with having too heavy a hat with no replacement.

Coming out of Erwin, I headed north on the trail spending most of the day hiking. I ended up camping along side a stream in a valley which might have been a mistake but I failed to make it back to the shelter. The second day, I travel back into Erwin and headed south on the trail, after stopping by Uncle Johnnys. Overall, I felt that the hike went well except for a couple issues.

The lack of fire was disappointing but understandable. I was also a lot unprepared for the difficulty due to the mountain terrain but I am going to do a couple more training hikes in Torreya State Park in Florida.
      Appears you fared well.

There are mountains in FL for training hikes? :rolleyes:

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • We used to go to church camp near Mount Dora. Really just a hill, but it's FL. :)

There is nothing like actually being in real mountains, but still good to be out hiking, especially in warmer weather this time of year.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Dan76 wrote:

junky wrote:

Thanks for all the advice, I completed two days hiking in the area of Erwin, TN. The weather was very cold, around 18 degrees, but I felt that my gear was appropriate for the weather. I had insulted pants but was surprised how hot I got while hiking. I had to shed layers where I was able but need a better coat that would balance heat retention. I also had a problem with having too heavy a hat with no replacement.

Appears you fared well.
      There are mountains in FL for training hikes? :rolleyes:
      I've reached the summit of the Neusiok trail 4 or 5 times. It's a grueling 26 feet above sea level. Coastal NC has some big hills.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • SandyofPA wrote:

You may want to consider a Buff for your lighter hat. Works as a hat, if it gets colder makes the bottom of a balaclava, always makes a good pillow cover at night. Happy Trails and Merry Christmas!
      +1 on the buff. I have a light weight one and a fleece like one. Sometimes I take both and use the light weight one around my neck pulled up to my chin and the fleece one as a cap pulled down over my ears for sleeping when its cold. And like Sandy said they make great pillow covers.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • junky wrote:

Thanks for letting us know how your hike went! Here's to many more happy trails. Smile108