Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

ADVICE? Late Nov Smokies Hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ADVICE? Late Nov Smokies Hike

Gonna be in the Smokies over Thanksgiving and hoping to do ~30 miles of the AT while there. Trying to determine my best option? Looking to do 12+ miles day 1 & 2 with remaining mileage day 3.

Option 1 - Fontana to Clingmans (or other direction) risk it will snow/ice and cannot get picked up or dropped off.

Option 2 - Fontana to Nantahala OC (or other direction) - risks?

Any advice is appreciated. Where to stay, etc.

Thank you in advance for the help.
    • Sole2Soul wrote:

Gonna be in the Smokies over Thanksgiving and hoping to do ~30 miles of the AT while there. Trying to determine my best option? Looking to do 12+ miles day 1 & 2 with remaining mileage day 3.

Option 1 - Fontana to Clingmans (or other direction) risk it will snow/ice and cannot get picked up or dropped off.

I would do Fontana to NOC, but only because I feel like I'm sleeping in a dump when I'm at the park shelters, nasty.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I would second the Fontana to NOC. Drive to the Hike Inn, leave your car there, get shuttled to the NOC and hike back or vice versa. That way you won't have to deal with shelter reservation nonsense and be flexible in where you stop each day. Also nobo from Fontana is a long up hill of like 12 miles or so with no water (dried up) at Mollies ridge.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

i hate the GSMNP so you can probably figure out what i'd do given those options.

want to mention that jeff at the hike inn passed away recently, i have no idea what affect (if any) that has had on their shuttle service.
      When I passed by there a few weeks ago they were open for business.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Sole2Soul wrote:

Clingman's to Fontana has less climbing.

I guess I'm the only anti anti-shelterer(?) here. IMO, the benefits far outweigh the cost of having to sleep in a shelter. It ain't a big deal. It's not my preference but it's not going to stop me from hiking where I want to hike.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i hate the GSMNP so you can probably figure out what i'd do given those options.

want to mention that jeff at the hike inn passed away recently, i have no idea what affect (if any) that has had on their shuttle service.
      Just curious, have you hiked any of the trails in GSMNP besides the AT?
      fair question.

my comment was directed toward the AT in the GSMNP, which in my opinion is the worst 70ish miles of the entire 2,190 mile AT. plenty of people disagree with me, i understand that, and have no need to fight anyone about it. we are all different.

actually, the first backpacking trip of my life was in the GSMNP. most, but not all, on the AT. no complaints about that hike, but as a total noob had nothing to compare it to. don't remember what the non AT sections were. i do remember getting to tent a nite or two; with the other nites in the shelters.

i've hiked the alum cave trail up to mt leconte probably 4 or 5 times and thats a nice hike. as a matter of fact, if ya don't mind paying $150ish per person i'll wholeheartedly recommend hiking up the alum cave trail to the lodge and spending the nite.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

I guess I'm the only anti anti-shelterer(?) here. IMO, the benefits far outweigh the cost of having to sleep in a shelter. It ain't a big deal. It's not my preference but it's not going to stop me from hiking where I want to hike.
      Shelters wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have mice and didn't have hikers come in late and make a bunch of noise and then talk for two hours while they shine their white (not red) light all around.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • The best time to go on the AT in the GSMNP is December to February when the weather looks bad. You feel like you have the whole park to yourself. I actually called the Backcountry office once to change my reservation and they asked me to call them if I could from Tri-corner Knob shelter because they had not been there in weeks. Needless to say I did not sleep in the shelter but stayed in my cozy tent. I may have also slept somewhere else that I wasn't supposed to.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

Clingman's to Fontana has less climbing.I guess I'm the only anti anti-shelterer(?) here. IMO, the benefits far outweigh the cost of having to sleep in a shelter. It ain't a big deal. It's not my preference but it's not going to stop me from hiking where I want to hike.
      Shelters wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have mice and didn't have hikers come in late and make a bunch of noise and then talk for two hours while they shine their white (not red) light all around.
      Then you should try the Ouachita Trail. New shelters built in the last 5 years and never seen another person at one. No mice either since low hiker stays means no collection of food to attract and keep them there (they would starve).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Hiked from Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam in early March (probably similar to late November). Ice on trail when I started and the snow came, temps down to the teens. Was cold, but the shelters have fireplaces to keep you warm. Of course by my last day coming down into Fontana it had warmed up to the 50s.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

Clingman's to Fontana has less climbing.I guess I'm the only anti anti-shelterer(?) here. IMO, the benefits far outweigh the cost of having to sleep in a shelter. It ain't a big deal. It's not my preference but it's not going to stop me from hiking where I want to hike.
      Nearly all public campsites I've used in past months were afflicted with rude campers.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

Nearly all public campsites I've used in past months were afflicted with rude campers.
      That's a shame. Hopefully it is coincidental and not a trend.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

I like virgin soil for a cat hole...not much of that around the shelters, although, if you're out of toilet paper you could just pick some up off the ground.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

I like virgin soil for a cat hole...not much of that around the shelters, although, if you're out of toilet paper you could just pick some up off the ground.
      I would rather scoot.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

Talk like that can get you a new trail name...Aunti TJ :D

I always carry a tent regardless of rules of where to stay...stuff happens, and a personal shelter is one of the 10 essential...in my book, and this time I actually have a book to back that one up. :thumbup:
    • mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

Talk like that can get you a new trail name...Aunti TJ :D
      I always carry a tent regardless of rules of where to stay...stuff happens, and a personal shelter is one of the 10 essential...in my book, and this time I actually have a book to back that one up. :thumbup:
      Lol! You're observant.

I think I told y'all before (?)... When I started backpacking, I didn't know anyone who hiked, didn't know about WB and other online resources, and obviously was never a boy scout, so just did my own thing (and did most of it wrong).

Anyway, I hiked in the Smokies for two years without ever carrying a shelter. All my trips were planned around the shelters. That's when I fell in love with the outdoors so maybe that's why shelters aren't so bad to me.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

Talk like that can get you a new trail name...Aunti TJ :D I always carry a tent regardless of rules of where to stay...stuff happens, and a personal shelter is one of the 10 essential...in my book, and this time I actually have a book to back that one up. :thumbup:
      Lol! You're observant.
      I think I told y'all before (?)... When I started backpacking, I didn't know anyone who hiked, didn't know about WB and other online resources, and obviously was never a boy scout, so just did my own thing (and did most of it wrong).

Anyway, I hiked in the Smokies for two years without ever carrying a shelter. All my trips were planned around the shelters. That's when I fell in love with the outdoors so maybe that's why shelters aren't so bad to me.
      if that sounded preachy or directed at you, my apologys, I was just speaking in general terms even though I quoted you on it. Often my wife reminds me...my delivery sucks, and using internet text often amplifies that delivery :)
    • mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

Talk like that can get you a new trail name...Aunti TJ :D I always carry a tent regardless of rules of where to stay...stuff happens, and a personal shelter is one of the 10 essential...in my book, and this time I actually have a book to back that one up. :thumbup:
      Lol! You're observant.I think I told y'all before (?)... When I started backpacking, I didn't know anyone who hiked, didn't know about WB and other online resources, and obviously was never a boy scout, so just did my own thing (and did most of it wrong).

if that sounded preachy or directed at you, my apologys, I was just speaking in general terms even though I quoted you on it. Often my wife reminds me...my delivery sucks, and using internet text often amplifies that delivery :)
      oh no, I didn't take it that way...it's always wise to carry a shelter.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

Lol! You're observant.I think I told y'all before (?)... When I started backpacking, I didn't know anyone who hiked, didn't know about WB and other online resources, and obviously was never a boy scout, so just did my own thing (and did most of it wrong).
      oh no, I didn't take it that way...it's always wise to carry a shelter.
      Cool, just checkin' :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Sole2Soul wrote:

I don't mind shelters either. On my very first backpacking trip, the Hen Hike, we slept in Stover Creek Shelter, the new one, when it was new, and after tenting at Hawk Mountain, we also slept in Gooch Mountain Shelter. No problems at either of those. On my next several short sections, I just used my tent. When I attempted the big one, I was hammocking; however, I ended up staying in Low Gap Shelter, Blue Mountain Shelter,
      Tray Mountain Shelter, Deep Gap Shelter, Standing Indian Shelter, Carter Gap Shelter and Long Branch Shelter (which was BRAND NEW). No problems at any except for Low Gap where Country Gold left GORP in the side pocket of his pack and the mice got into it. Don't know why he didn't hang his pack on the bear cables and instead hung it on the hook above his head in the shelter. Being VERY slow to get going in the morning, staying in a shelter means I don't have to pack up a hammock. That time savings is meaningful to me. YMMV.

Sole2Soul wrote:

Great advice. I always look forward to the responses in this forum. Love this place. Watching the weather. Would much rather stay in my tent if I have that choice. Did not know about the through hike rule, thank you.
      Welcome Sole2Soul <waving smiley>

I just read Turk's account of his trip from the NOC to Standing Bear 10/23 - 11/1 over on Trail Journals: Turk's TJ - NOC to Standing Bear 10/23/16 - 11/1/16
      He details the high scarcity of water between Clingman's Dome and the NOC. He and his hiking bud carried 6 liters of water each and on several days, it wasn't enough, they had to ration only a mouthful of water every mile at times. So, you might want to read his TJ. Good luck and have a great hike!
    • i've posted elsewhere that the trail is closed from dicks creek gap to the nantahala outdoor center.

there has been a slight revision to that.

the trail is now also closed to everyone except firefighters and their equipment from the nanataha outdoor center north to stecoach gap; approx 13 miles.
      2,000 miler