Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trails...creating them and why only some remain.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trails...creating them and why only some remain.

Today at 11:00 AM local NPR radio station KUER interviews 2009 AT thru hiker Roger Moor. As it's a rebroadcast, you may listen at any time via this link.

radiowest.kuer.org/post/trails-1

The host Doug Fabrizio has done many interviews on various issues and most are available on his Radio West web site.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Excellent, really enjoyed listening to it.

Not necessarily along the same lines, but interesting nevertheless, when Rusty posted photos of his hike on the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail, my perception of his hike was totally different than if he had called it a hike on the AT. Most of us immediately recognize his photos as being the AT, but after reading about the OVNHT, I viewed them in a totally different context.

It made me ponder how many trails the AT shares that are completely overshadowed and even forgotten because of the popularity and universality of The Appalachian Trail.

From a practical standpoint... My first experience in Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Wilderness was an eye opener. It made me realize that the same trail can have multiple names and even numbers and that it's wise to be educated on alternate names.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Excellent, really enjoyed listening to it.

Not necessarily along the same lines, but interesting nevertheless, when Rusty posted photos of his hike on the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail, my perception of his hike was totally different than if he had called it a hike on the AT. Most of us immediately recognize his photos as being the AT, but after reading about the OVNHT, I viewed them in a totally different context.

It made me ponder how many trails the AT shares that are completely overshadowed and even forgotten because of the popularity and universality of The Appalachian Trail.

From a practical standpoint... My first experience in Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Wilderness was an eye opener. It made me realize that the same trail can have multiple names and even numbers and that it's wise to be educated on alternate names.
      There is only one picture that was the AT the OMVT crossed the AT at overmountain shelter's intersection.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

There is only one picture that was the AT the OMVT crossed the AT at overmountain shelter's intersection.
      Lol, me and my musings...sheesh. :rolleyes:
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Lol, me and my musings...sheesh. :rolleyes:
      Your musings are always amusing.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire the AT route goes over parts of a number of different trails which retain their original name.
      I heard AT hikers complain about that but I think it's a good idea. It helps preserve the history and culture of the area.
      The Whites are the one place on the AT where I have a "real trail map" of the area because of exactly what you said.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference