Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Knee injections

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Knee injections

So for a couple years now I've been getting knee injections about every 6 months apart. The idea is it's replacing the senovial fluid that lubracates the knee. It's reported it doesn't work for everyone, but thus far it's working for me and the good days vs.bad days seem less. Some of you will take solace knowing it hurts like a mofo for a few days, and that there's nothing quite like having a long thick needle jammed into your knee joint...right up there with root canal! The med I use is called "Synvisc One" that is to say it's one injection of 6 cc. Per knee, there is another type I've also used where by you get 3 injection (per knee/2 cc.) over the coarse of as many weeks...it seemed like less stress on the knee as far as volume goes, but the anxiety and 3 co-pays had me rethinking this one...the name of it escapes me just now.

...today was an injection day,
      Somamabitch!
      Good day :)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Socks ().

• Both knees are injected?

At least there's a remedy for you despite the discomfort.

Try to get ahold of a couple of Gatoraide type bottles prior to the next injection. Using one will save at least two daily relief trips.

Hope you recover quickly.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Both knees are injected?

Try to get ahold of a couple of Gatoraide type bottles prior to the next injection. Using one will save at least two daily relief trips.

Yup, both knees, and yup two pee bottles is a must for this old prostate...little stiff today, gotta push on through and keep movin' thanks Dan
    • mental note wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Both knees are injected?

Yup, both knees, and yup two pee bottles is a must for this old prostate...little stiff today, gotta push on through and keep movin' thanks Dan
      I hope today is better.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Both knees are injected?

I hope today is better.
      thanks, I'm back in action...this time round hasn't been as bad as in the past.
    • Sorry to hear that Sock's

Have you been checked for a meniscus tear? This is a common injury to the cartilage that stabilizes and cushions the knee joint. The type of the tear can determine whether your tear can be repaired. Radial tears sometimes can be repaired, depending on where they are located.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • for the last 3 months my knee hurts more than my back :( so i saw the knee doc today.

knee replacement is in my future at some point; doc said i could do it now if i wanted. too soon for that; going to try physical therapy and shots. no restrictions -- doc says i'll know when to stop and i've already figured that out. doc says physical therapy using weights is 1,000 times more important than the shots.

in keeping with the title of this thread i got my first ever cortisone shot in my knee. feels better; i'll go for a walk tomorrow and that will be the first real test.

if the cortisone doesn't help he said they are other things they can inject.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Pre knee surgery they injected me me with a blend of cortisone and something else. I felt like I could dance down the stairs when I left.
      i know; i was surprised that the effect of the shot was almost instantaneous.
      just like oiling a squeaky hinge!! The size of the needle used is a little scary.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Pre knee surgery they injected me me with a blend of cortisone and something else. I felt like I could dance down the stairs when I left.
      just like oiling a squeaky hinge!! The size of the needle used is a little scary.
      That's why I always close my eyes, no matter the size of the needle. The Phlebotomist always asks "Are you OK". I always say "Yes as long as I keep my eyes closed". When in college I was a bio and chem major, which means I took all the same classes as the pre-med students. People always asked me why I wasn't a pre-med (i.e. intended to apply to med school). I always said I'm glad someone wants to be a doctor, but it wasn't me. I was way too squeamish to handle needles, blood, guts, and other disgusting bodily fluids. So I went to grad school in Biochemistry at the Plant Research Lab, figuring that would be a good way to avoid blood and needles. Ironically, I ended up working on the only plant that actually has blood.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leghemoglobin
    • I guess all this hiking, and other activities, are wearing out our bodies.
      I put up with some near constant aches and pains. My job doesn't help any either, I often wind up in odd positions that stress body parts or handle very heavy parts. But all the activity sure beats being a couch potato
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

The only problem is "WHEN" it wears off. :D
      and that's a big unknown. the shot wears off at different rates for different people.
      could last months.
      could last weeks.
      could last days.
      no matter when it wears off -- have to wait at least 3 months between shots.

i walked 2 miles today without pain. gonna bump it up a little more tomorrow.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

The only problem is "WHEN" it wears off. :D
      and that's a big unknown. the shot wears off at different rates for different people.could last months.
      could last weeks.
      could last days.
      no matter when it wears off -- have to wait at least 3 months between shots.

i walked 2 miles today without pain. gonna bump it up a little more tomorrow.
      Walking anywhere without pain is AMAZING!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Got another knee injection yesterday. I felt this one as it was being administered...

I've been keeping my walks to no more than 6 miles the last few months -- any more and I thought there was a real possibility of needing S&R to get back to the car. :)

I'll need a new knee eventually, but this stuff works great for now.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Got another knee injection yesterday. I felt this one as it was being administered...

I've been keeping my walks to no more than 6 miles the last few months -- any more and I thought there was a real possibility of needing S&R to get back to the car. :)

I'll need a new knee eventually, but this stuff works great for now.
      When I hear stuff like that it makes me think I should probably try to do an AT thru hike in the next few years instead of waiting until I retire. :/
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Just got my knee injection Friday. Knee is great today. I had my wife with me and when she saw the size of the needle she was "OMG"! I told her "yeah maybe you better turn your head and look away" lol ! They don't bother me a bit, I never really feel anything after he sprays my knee with that numbing spray.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Just got my knee injection Friday. Knee is great today. I had my wife with me and when she saw the size of the needle she was "OMG"! I told her "yeah maybe you better turn your head and look away" lol ! They don't bother me a bit, I never really feel anything after he sprays my knee with that numbing spray.
      I just try to focus on the good I know it will do. In PT sometimes I am grinding my teeth due to the pain of those silver bars on my muscles. X(
      But I tell them don't worry about it, and do whatever they need to make me better. :)
    • I torn a meniscus in April........after 3 months of getting fat after shoulder surgery. It was on a 5 mile day hike!!! My Doc said, "Gee Lou lots of folks live with this, but I know you want to return to your regularly scheduled activities"....."I can can fix this"

Well, I carried 20 lbs, 4 miles, last week . My Scoped knee feels great now............my 'good' knee may need a looksee!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

I torn a meniscus in April........after 3 months of getting fat after shoulder surgery. It was on a 5 mile day hike!!! My Doc said, "Gee Lou lots of folks live with this, but I know you want to return to your regularly scheduled activities"....."I can can fix this"

Well, I carried 20 lbs, 4 miles, last week . My Scoped knee feels great now............my 'good' knee may need a looksee!
      Modern medicine is a wonderful thing for us seasoned backpackers. :thumbup:
    • To paraphrase from the band Cake's song Rock & Roll Lifestyle...

"Your joints are paying dearly now for youthful trekking moments. But hike on completely with some brand new components."
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard