Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Shoes and Socks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Jake Ace wrote "tie the laces together and toss em over a telephone pole line to live a life of the four seasons."

When I visited my daughter in Fargo a number of years ago, I saw a pair of sneakers over an electrical line and remarked to my daughter that was an unusual thing for someone to do with an old pair of shoes. She informed me that meant there was a location nearby where drugs could be purchased. When I returned home, I asked a police officer who came to the Finance Dept for info on one of the Police Dept grants if that was true what shoes over a line meant and he confirmed it.

So, don't do that as you might be causing some nearbt innocent people some unwanted trouble.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

My only complaints about the Altras is lack of a real toe bumper. I made my own but they always fall off after 50 miles. The other complaint I have is I found my foot wanting to slide sideways inside the shoe when there is a cross slope.
      In your OP from 1.5 years ago, you said the Cabela's inserts helped the side slippage. Do you still use these? I replaced my worn out Lone Peak 3.5's with some new 4.0's about a month ago. I have a birthday coming up and my family will some birthday present ideas. I'm thinking these might be a good addition. You also recommended the Cabela's all wool hiking socks but couldn't find those on their web site. Do you know if they still sell those. I have several pairs of DT, but you seemed to like the Cabela's a bit better. Still a recommendation?
    • Trillium wrote:

Jake Ace wrote "tie the laces together and toss em over a telephone pole line to live a life of the four seasons."

When I visited my daughter in Fargo a number of years ago, I saw a pair of sneakers over an electrical line and remarked to my daughter that was an unusual thing for someone to do with an old pair of shoes. She informed me that meant there was a location nearby where drugs could be purchased. When I returned home, I asked a police officer who came to the Finance Dept for info on one of the Police Dept grants if that was true what shoes over a line meant and he confirmed it.

So, don't do that as you might be causing some nearbt innocent people some unwanted trouble.
      Hmm, I never heard that before, I just see shoes hanging all over Trenton...makes total sense now, gonna have to ask my kids what they know. Thanks T :)
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

My only complaints about the Altras is lack of a real toe bumper. I made my own but they always fall off after 50 miles. The other complaint I have is I found my foot wanting to slide sideways inside the shoe when there is a cross slope.
      In your OP from 1.5 years ago, you said the Cabela's inserts helped the side slippage. Do you still use these? I replaced my worn out Lone Peak 3.5's with some new 4.0's about a month ago. I have a birthday coming up and my family will some birthday present ideas. I'm thinking these might be a good addition. You also recommended the Cabela's all wool hiking socks but couldn't find those on their web site. Do you know if they still sell those. I have several pairs of DT, but you seemed to like the Cabela's a bit better. Still a recommendation?
      They are great until they get wet and turn into sponges and take a long time to dry out. I switched them out to Dr. Scholl's Active Series which are non-water absorbent.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Trillium wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Shoes might be the most important piece of gear hikers have.
      Take the time to find shoes that make your feet, and the rest of you too, happy.
      This is why I waited to buy new hiking shoes as well as new everyday shoes until I could see Rob at Outdoor 76. Baltimore Jack told me that the best boot/shoe fitter on the trail bar none is Rob at Outdoor 76. I can confirm that he was right. If you can get to Franklin, I strongly recommend that you do!
      Rob is passionate about the right footwear for each hiker. He also strongly recommends that hikers start out with low mileage and ramp up only incremently as too high of mileage or increasing mileage more than a little at a time leads to most of hikers feet, ankle and knee problems.
      I must agree, most knowledgeable shoe person I ever dealt with.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Trillium wrote:

Jake Ace wrote "tie the laces together and toss em over a telephone pole line to live a life of the four seasons."

Doubt that is why Mountain Crossing at Neel Gap has so many. But who knows, maybe it is.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Doubt that is why Mountain Crossing at Neel Gap has so many. But who knows, maybe it is.
      I think Mountain Crossing is the exception to the ?rule?.
    • Trillium wrote:

Astro wrote:

Trillium wrote:

well...it is the first on trail opportunity for resupply.

edit to add: a few years ago a mountain crossings employee doing a shuttle was stopped by the police for a traffic violation and during the stop was busted for possession of weed. assuming,of course, that what i read on the internet was true.

edited again to add even more: i recall the discussion was centered on the statement that shuttle driviers should not be carrying illegal substances on the job as they could potentially be putting the hikers being shuttled being unknowingly drawn into the situation.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Astro wrote:

Trillium wrote:

well...it is the first on trail opportunity for resupply.
      edit to add: a few years ago a mountain crossings employee doing a shuttle was stopped by the police for a traffic violation and during the stop was busted for possession of weed. assuming,of course, that what i read on the internet was true.

edited again to add even more: i recall the discussion was centered on the statement that shuttle driviers should not be carrying illegal substances on the job as they could potentially be putting the hikers being shuttled being unknowingly drawn into the situation.
      Aye...just learnt about that this past winter during jury duty (that ya can’t talk about while serving) if memory serves it’s called constructive possession, whereby you may not know of its existence but you have control over it, ie; in the glove box where you could get at it, or center console...yur beat!
    • Yesterday’s hike was a chance to field test some new shoe inserts. My feet and toes have suffered recently and three nails fell off last week. The inserts are Orange Superfeet. They are a step up from the Green’s, a little more cushion so they take up more space in the shoe.

By mile 1, there were hot spots on my heels so stopped and applied Glide. By mile 2, the skin was torn and hurt. I took the inserts out and donned mole skin. It got me through the 10+ mile hike but without inserts, my shins and feet were achy.

It’s been ages since I’ve had blisters on my heels and can only conclude that the Orange SF elevated my foot too much or made the shoes too tight. You’d think the tighter shoes would prevent the heel from sliding but it didn’t work that way.

I really hope the store will take them back.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I started my New Hampshire hike in my Oboz Sawtooths, but after slackpacking over Mooselauke the balls of my feet hurt. I wanted to wear them for the toe bumper because of the toe protection, but when I wore them in April, I still ended up loosing three toenails. So I switched to my Altra 3.5s that I had stashed in my car in Glencliff. Guess what, I lost no toenails and those shoes pretty much have a non-existent toe bumper. Go figure.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I started my New Hampshire hike in my Oboz Sawtooths, but after slackpacking over Mooselauke the balls of my feet hurt. I wanted to wear them for the toe bumper because of the toe protection, but when I wore them in April, I still ended up loosing three toenails. So I switched to my Altra 3.5s that I had stashed in my car in Glencliff. Guess what, I lost no toenails and those shoes pretty much have a non-existent toe bumper. Go figure.
      Amazing, I have the exact same shoes. I had no problems with my Oboz Sawtooth (Sawteeth?), but that was in SNP, not as extreme as NH. Have not worn my Altra Lone Peaks backpacking yet, but wore out two pairs on day hikes.