Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

It's tarp season

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

About to spend my first night under the tarp. Excited and scared. Have always had 4 walls surrounding me. Here's to new adventures.
      Where you headed...I would like to join my son and d-i-l on their Roan Highlands hike this week end but I did something really, really, really stupid at the gym a few weeks back and my torn meniscus is acting up and I leave for the Tetons next Saturday so I'm trying to let it heal...hope it goes well, which I know it will.
      Oh no. Didnt that happen to you last year also? Thought you had it fixed. Hopefully it doesn't screw up your hike.
      Had a third of the meniscus removed from the right knee, the left has the same issue but seemed to have healed itself...as long as I'm not stupid.... was in a circuit breaker class and one of the stations was doing spinning round house kicks to a dummy, meniscus tears result from the foot being stationary and the knee turning, would have been okay doing the kicks bare footed but the shoes I had on gripped too well and the foot did not turn, I knew better than to do these, knew even better to stop when the first pain started....I just hate to cop out on exercises...and I have a lot of injuries to show for it.

Was the dummy anyone we know?

Good fortune on the healing.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I did some things right and did some things wrong last night.

What I did right...chose the perfect conditions and the perfect place for the maiden voyage. No one around so didn't worry about being a noob and didn't deal with rain.

What I did wrong...everything else. :)

Didn't add mitten hooks to the tarp for the bugnet and had to use those stupid tI shepherds stakes because my daughter took my other ones to a music festival. Had to set up in the dark and didn't realize the ground was sloped.

It was breezy so I would get a tie-out staked, start on another, and the previous stake would come out of the ground. It took a little bit but finally got it fixed.

The bugnet...Considered sleeping on top of it until I saw all the granddaddy long legs crawling around. It was rigged to stay off my face with an extra line but didn't work very well. I slept good until 2:30 and woke up with my face against the side of the tarp as I'd rolled a few inches down the slope. The sleeping pad and bug net had traveled also and the the pad was no longer under me but standing on its side and the bug net zipper under my shoulder.

Overall, I slept better than normal (mainly because of the temp) and learned what to do before the next trip.
      Most of this can be fixed, but one night or two won't cut it as its minimalist.
      You do not have a bathtub floor. I would avoid flat ground, and ponding water areas.
      The net cannot touch your face as the mosquitoes freqently attact my ears and nose, I used a DWO moist towel to get asleep.
      If it is too breezy feel free to move the stakes closer to you to cut wind coming in on the sides. In heavy rain a different pitch on the tarp will be needed. Even in high wind I move my Hammock closer to the ground.

Everything else appears to be practice? Got kids? let them use it in the backyard, then ask them how cool was it?
      Does the pad fit inside the net & bag?
      There was an Old Man with a owl,
      Who continued to bother and howl;
      He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
      Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl.WOO
    • “I did some things right and did some things wrong last night.

What I did right...chose the perfect conditions and the perfect place for the maiden voyage.”

TJ: Kudos for trying the technique, so add to your list of right things for the attempt.

Most of my current camping companions won’t consider anything less than a RV let alone a tarp. I’m the only one still using a tent. However they are generous with allowing me to utilize the facilities. :)

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I did some things right and did some things wrong last night.

What I did right...chose the perfect conditions and the perfect place for the maiden voyage. No one around so didn't worry about being a noob and didn't deal with rain.

What I did wrong...everything else. :)

Didn't add mitten hooks to the tarp for the bugnet and had to use those stupid tI shepherds stakes because my daughter took my other ones to a music festival. Had to set up in the dark and didn't realize the ground was sloped.

It was breezy so I would get a tie-out staked, start on another, and the previous stake would come out of the ground. It took a little bit but finally got it fixed.

The bugnet...Considered sleeping on top of it until I saw all the granddaddy long legs crawling around. It was rigged to stay off my face with an extra line but didn't work very well. I slept good until 2:30 and woke up with my face against the side of the tarp as I'd rolled a few inches down the slope. The sleeping pad and bug net had traveled also and the the pad was no longer under me but standing on its side and the bug net zipper under my shoulder.

Overall, I slept better than normal (mainly because of the temp) and learned what to do before the next trip.
      Most of this can be fixed, but one night or two won't cut it as its minimalist.You do not have a bathtub floor. I would avoid flat ground, and ponding water areas.
      The net cannot touch your face as the mosquitoes freqently attact my ears and nose, I used a DWO moist towel to get asleep.
      If it is too breezy feel free to move the stakes closer to you to cut wind coming in on the sides. In heavy rain a different pitch on the tarp will be needed. Even in high wind I move my Hammock closer to the ground.

Everything else appears to be practice? Got kids? let them use it in the backyard, then ask them how cool was it?
      Does the pad fit inside the net & bag?

Thank you for the advice. The bugnet has a bathtub floor and my kids are grown. But you're definitely right, I need more practice. Lots more practice.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • I just got a bug net with no floor. You can stake out the corners or tuck the edges under your pad. I'm going to try it with my polycro door film. With the bigger tarp I'm really not concerned with not having a bathtub floor, I can always prop the edge of the ground sheet up with something so water runs under it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • While I really liked my Trailstar, I decided it was just too big for me. So I did some research and found that MLD used to make a Little Star, so I contacted Ron Bell and got some instructions on how to trim mine down to the Little Star. Out came the seam ripper to remove the tie outs and reinforcements. Then the hot knife. It's now 4" smaller all the way around the bottom and pitches on a lot less real estate. It's 2.5 ounces lighter and still a palace for one and all your gear and could squeeze in two. Now I'm really happy with it and need to field test it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

That looks good.
      Sure wish I could get Kathy to consider using a tarp.
      She insists on full enclosure because she's a bug magnet and wants to keep the bugs out.
      i have a cold weather bivy, a inner net with bathtub floor and a sea to summit insect treated net no floor to use with it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference