Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

It's tarp season

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wise Old Owl wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

There was frost a few weeks back and the mosquitos disappeared, so I am back to using a tarp without a bug tent underneath. I bought a Fusion Extreme tarp, 7' 4" X 9' 6", MARPAT Woodland camo for just under $10 at ACE Hardware. It has grommets every two feet (5 along the short sides and 6 along the long sides). I use poles taken from a Texsport 01905 two-person tent. Each pole comes in three sections, for a total height of 38". I use all three sections (38") at the head of the tarp, but only two (25"?) at the foot. The pole at the head is vertical and has a guy line. At the foot, the shorter pole leans, such that hanging a small weight from it keeps the tarp under tension. The difference in height of the two poles divides the tarp into four triangular regions, delineated by bends running from the top of the 38" pole to the top of the shorter pole and the two corners of the tarp at the foot end. So the pitched tarp has angular features like a stealth fighter. The MARPAT camo reminds me of a pile of leaves when seen from a distance by my near-sighted eyes. I use a total of 13 stakes, and one guy line. Staking the grommets directly to the ground seals out wind along two sides.
      Still available. Got a pic?
      AMAZON
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

There was frost a few weeks back and the mosquitos disappeared, so I am back to using a tarp without a bug tent underneath. I bought a Fusion Extreme tarp, 7' 4" X 9' 6", MARPAT Woodland camo for just under $10 at ACE Hardware. It has grommets every two feet (5 along the short sides and 6 along the long sides). I use poles taken from a Texsport 01905 two-person tent. Each pole comes in three sections, for a total height of 38". I use all three sections (38") at the head of the tarp, but only two (25"?) at the foot. The pole at the head is vertical and has a guy line. At the foot, the shorter pole leans, such that hanging a small weight from it keeps the tarp under tension. The difference in height of the two poles divides the tarp into four triangular regions, delineated by bends running from the top of the 38" pole to the top of the shorter pole and the two corners of the tarp at the foot end. So the pitched tarp has angular features like a stealth fighter. The MARPAT camo reminds me of a pile of leaves when seen from a distance by my near-sighted eyes. I use a total of 13 stakes, and one guy line. Staking the grommets directly to the ground seals out wind along two sides.
      Still available. Got a pic?AMAZON

I think I started another thread on this tarp as it was surprisingly cheap. Then I found all the notes from other buyer's about how easy the grommets tear out and its plastic not Sil Nylon. Is it Sil? And have you set it up in a downpour and kept your stuff dry?
      There was an Old Man with a owl,
      Who continued to bother and howl;
      He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
      Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl.WOO
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Still available. Got a pic?AMAZON

I think I started another thread on this tarp as it was surprisingly cheap. Then I found all the notes from other buyer's about how easy the grommets tear out and its plastic not Sil Nylon. Is it Sil? And have you set it up in a downpour and kept your stuff dry?
      I still have all the grommets. It is not silnylon, or even nylon. It has not leaked on me, but there was only light drizzle so far. I expect heavier rain tonight and tomorrow. It held up to moderate wind.

I put a lot of tension on the tarp. I destroyed a Coleman EVA poncho with much less force.
    • OK I get it. but folks will want to pay a "little" more for durability... I like it, great for a bug out bag... would not use it in a backpack situation...

I learned a lot from you - thanks.
      There was an Old Man with a owl,
      Who continued to bother and howl;
      He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
      Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl.WOO
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

OK I get it. but folks will want to pay a "little" more for durability... I like it, great for a bug out bag... would not use it in a backpack situation...

I learned a lot from you - thanks.
      I have had gear disappear while I was away from a campsite, so sometimes I like to use the cheapest functional gear I can find, especially where cars drive past my campsite. I would rather take my Etowah Gear 8X10 silnylon tarp on the AT, where I seldom go farther away than the water source or privy.
    • I'm thinking about setting up one of my tarps in the backyard. Almost a full moon, clear night with frost, got some Crown Royal maple and the 5 yr old grandson is here and his jaws won't stop moving and the missus won't let me use the duct tape. ;)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I'm thinking about setting up one of my tarps in the backyard. Almost a full moon, clear night with frost, got some Crown Royal maple and the 5 yr old grandson is here and his jaws won't stop moving and the missus won't let me use the duct tape. ;)
      Crown'll work ever time, good for tooth and ear aches as well. Beauty night though for a sleep out, nice and crisp!
    • In my continual quest to lighten the load on my old knees and hips I picked up a used MLD Patrol Shelter in cuben at 8 ozs and bought some of the .51 oz/sqyd netting from RBTR and re-made my net tent so it only weighs 10 ozs. I added a 4 ft zipper down the side. This extra side zipper allows me to get into the net tent without having to back into it by unhooking one front corner of the Patrol, unzipping the front and side of the net tent and crawl in side entry. Then reach out and hook the corner back to the stake. To exit I just unzip the front door and crawl straight out.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Now I have two of these tarps.

There's room for two under there. Each person can carry one tarp, not worrying about getting separated from a buddy who has the only shelter. And if they find they do not get along, they can pitch separately. Together, there is more headroom. Each will need to carry enough tent pegs and cordage, and maybe find or carry poles.

The post was edited 2 times, last by WanderingStovie ().

• WanderingStovie wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I'm seriously considering getting a 10x12. In winter, I want to close both ends.
      To close both ends, I want a bowtie shape. When I pull the corners together, I want a vertical seam.
      I anchor the next from the end, and bring both corners tied to each other. It closes the end but leaves a open vent at the top of the 'door' so I can still boil water in there. That is not a good discription, I have no photo. MLK folks have seen it. A 10x12 would let me do that at both ends. Now in foul weather I just hang my rain gear in the open end.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Hey the other set of instructions has the sides at 84" with a 12' ridge. That would work for hammocking and ground I believe, especially with the width. That's really a huge tarp.
      Do you think it's too big? This is my first tarp so I don't have high expectations and probably won't use it with a hammock.

(this is what we're talking about... ripstopbytheroll.com/collectio…hex12-ultralight-tarp-kit )

Maybe I won't go with a kit...
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • CoachLou wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I'm seriously considering getting a 10x12. In winter, I want to close both ends.
      To close both ends, I want a bowtie shape. When I pull the corners together, I want a vertical seam.
      I anchor the next from the end, and bring both corners tied to each other. It closes the end but leaves a open vent at the top of the 'door' so I can still boil water in there. That is not a good discription, I have no photo. MLK folks have seen it. A 10x12 would let me do that at both ends. Now in foul weather I just hang my rain gear in the open end.
      For a vented but closed end like you describe, I like some overhang, and therefore the rectangular tarp.
    • CoachLou wrote:

I'm not so keen on the hex shape.......... and do you have a tool to put the grommets in.
      You can see in Stovies pics that the rectangle is simple and versatile in that it can be pitched in many ways.
      Thanks! I want the first one to be simple, maybe I should try a rectangle first? JJ thinks I'm a better seamstress than I am. :)

I was looking at the membrane silpoly as it's lighter than other silpoly but there may be an issue with seams.

ripstopbytheroll.com/blogs/the…alight-tarps-and-shelters
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I'm not so keen on the hex shape.......... and do you have a tool to put the grommets in.
      You can see in Stovies pics that the rectangle is simple and versatile in that it can be pitched in many ways.
      Thanks! I want the first one to be simple, maybe I should try a rectangle first? JJ thinks I'm a better seamstress than I am. :)
      I was looking at the membrane silpoly as it's lighter than other silpoly but there may be an issue with seams.

Maybe you should try pitching an old bedsheet to see what size shape and angles you like.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Thanks! I want the first one to be simple, maybe I should try a rectangle first? JJ thinks I'm a better seamstress than I am. :) I was looking at the membrane silpoly as it's lighter than other silpoly but there may be an issue with seams.

Maybe you should try pitching an old bedsheet to see what size shape and angles you like.
      good idea

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

The problem with the membrane silpoly is it tears easily. For a tarp I would use the 1.1 silnylon.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • SandyofPA wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Using sewn in web loops instead of grommets works good, no tool required beyond a sewing machine.
      I'm going to use 3/4" Beastee Dee rings, 1" grosgrain, and this method I found on hammock forums (post #8).

hammockforums.net/forum/showth…osgrain-for-tarp-tie-outs

Stephan Pastis