Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Mammoth - It's What's for Dinner

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mammoth - It's What's for Dinner

Tonight I'm in my back yard cooking chicken kebabs over a wood fire. I even collected a few chunks of hickory bark from a Shakbark Hickory tree during my afternoons walk to give it a little extra flavor. So I'm thinking (while drinking a cheap half-price Pint Noir,) that this is probably the world's oldest recipe. 200,000 years ago some caveman probably kills a chicken, cooks it over a fire on a stick and says "Ugg - Tastes like Mammoth". So has anyone ever gone caveman and cooked meat on a stick while backpacking. I've considered it but never done it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• Just hot dogs cooked over an open flame, rest of the time I used a cookset like the old aluminum ones you could buy from a Scout store. My dad gave me a metal canteen with metal cup, no idea what happened to it, which was good for boiling a small amount of water out of the canteen for making soup or coffee. By the time i was done eating the soup or drinking the coffee, it was cold enough to put back in the canteen belt/holder.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Just hot dogs cooked over an open flame, rest of the time I used a cookset like the old aluminum ones you could buy from a Scout store. My dad gave me a metal canteen with metal cup, no idea what happened to it, which was good for boiling a small amount of water out of the canteen for making soup or coffee. By the time i was done eating the soup or drinking the coffee, it was cold enough to put back in the canteen belt/holder.
      I used to carry such a canteen and was the envy of those watching it used to heat water for tea or soup.
      Unfortunately during one of the more fortunate days of my life, it was twice perforated. I've since regretted tossing it as it would make a great paperweight.

TrafficJam wrote:

I would love to carry raw meat in winter and cook it over a fire but given my track record with making fires in cold weather. I would probably starve.
      you could resort to steak tartare.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Yes I've cooked skewered meat over a fire. One of the traditions of the folks I hunt with is we most always roast a chunk of meat for all to have a bite or two.

Col Charlie Beckwith oft said nothing promotes comradeship and unit cohesiveness like sharing a field roasted deer in the field after a challenging training scenario.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Never cooked meat on a stick, but I have eaten raw tuna and striped bass directly from the carcass while on a fishing boat. Last time I did it I got a lot of odd looks from the vacationers passing by the dock.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • hot dogs on a overnite scout trip, although the cavemen didn't have access to processed foods.

i have a wood burning zip stove with the optional grill attachment. on a overnight trip i cooked pork chops. that was the only time i used the grill attachment. they were good; just not worth the hassle imo. i've used the zip stove quite often over the years on weekend trips; i'd never use it on a long distance hike.
      2,000 miler
    • Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Just hot dogs cooked over an open flame, rest of the time I used a cookset like the old aluminum ones you could buy from a Scout store. My dad gave me a metal canteen with metal cup, no idea what happened to it, which was good for boiling a small amount of water out of the canteen for making soup or coffee. By the time i was done eating the soup or drinking the coffee, it was cold enough to put back in the canteen belt/holder.
      I used to carry such a canteen and was the envy of those watching it used to heat water for tea or soup.Unfortunately during one of the more fortunate days of my life, it was twice perforated. I've since regretted tossing it as it would make a great paperweight.

TrafficJam wrote:

I would love to carry raw meat in winter and cook it over a fire but given my track record with making fires in cold weather. I would probably starve.
      you could resort to steak tartare.
      With tartar sauce?
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • This reminded me of the first morning of the MLK weekend trip this year when Mr. Coffee pulled out a backnwrapped ribeye in shelter and cooked it on his whisperlight for breakfast.

Or the second MLK trip when Big Eyes brought a wild rabbit that one of her friends shot and cooked it in the shelter fireplace.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

This reminded me of the first morning of the MLK weekend trip this year when Mr. Coffee pulled out a backnwrapped ribeye in shelter and cooked it on his whisperlight for breakfast.

Or the second MLK trip when Big Eyes brought a wild rabbit that one of her friends shot and cooked it in the shelter fireplace.
      Did anybody ever hear from Big Eyes after that trip? Wasn't she planning a thru hike?
    • LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

This reminded me of the first morning of the MLK weekend trip this year when Mr. Coffee pulled out a backnwrapped ribeye in shelter and cooked it on his whisperlight for breakfast.

Did anybody ever hear from Big Eyes after that trip? Wasn't she planning a thru hike?
      Unfortunately I didn't. I found her stories fascinating.
    • We have roasted hot dogs over the fire when car camping with the family. One night a piece of hot dog broke off and fell in the fire. Over night, some critter hauled it off (yes, that's right. We left a trace). Anyway we were sitting around the fire the following morning and said critter was up in the trees overhead. He dropped his hot dog chunk and it hit my daughter in the head. LNT kama's a bitch.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

So Big Eyes cooked Big Ears.
    • I once did a steak "Tarzan" style. Cooked diretly on the coals. Got a nice hardwood fire going & raked a pele of coals off to the side. Blew hard to heat them up & blow ashes away & throw the steak on it. Give it a few minutes & flip it. It was great. Intense heat seared the juices in. Had it another time at a commercial cowboy camp. They called it pitch fork cooking. They did brush it down a garlic butter after it came off the coals to remove any remaining wood/ash.
    • Over thyears I have cooked a lot of foil meals on coals. Double up tinfoil & throw in a few hamburg patties, sliced taters, onions, peppers & mushrooms with a few tabs of butter. Wrap to seal it up & throw it on some coals. 10-15 minutes on each side.

Another scouting favorite was bacon & eggs in a paperr bag. layer a few slices of bacon on the bottom of a brown paper lunch bag. Crack an egg or two on top & fold the top down several time. Poke a stick through the bag & hang over coals Give it about 20-25 minutes & enjoy. Just keep it on upwind side of fire since once bacon starts cooking an errrant spark can light the greasy paper. I had to finish cooking on a hot rock when this happened. Bag burnt down to edge of meal.

If you like these ideas find a copy of "Roughing it easy" or ask to borrow mine. Lots of great things if you have a fire or grill.

Bannana boats: Bannanas with chocolate & marshmellows in foil

Baked Apples with sugar & cinnamin in the core in foil

Muffins baked in an orange peel...
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Over thyears I have cooked a lot of foil meals on coals. Double up tinfoil & throw in a few hamburg patties, sliced taters, onions, peppers & mushrooms with a few tabs of butter. Wrap to seal it up & throw it on some coals. 10-15 minutes on each side.

Another scouting favorite was bacon & eggs in a paperr bag. layer a few slices of bacon on the bottom of a brown paper lunch bag. Crack an egg or two on top & fold the top down several time. Poke a stick through the bag & hang over coals Give it about 20-25 minutes & enjoy. Just keep it on upwind side of fire since once bacon starts cooking an errrant spark can light the greasy paper. I had to finish cooking on a hot rock when this happened. Bag burnt down to edge of meal.

If you like these ideas find a copy of "Roughing it easy" or ask to borrow mine. Lots of great things if you have a fire or grill.

Bannana boats: Bannanas with chocolate & marshmellows in foil

Baked Apples with sugar & cinnamin in the core in foil

Muffins baked in an orange peel...
      Foilpacks (also called hobo dinner) was always the favorite menu choice when I was a Boy Scout leader.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I used to be a pro at foil meals when I was a scout but I seem to have completely lost that skill. Did the eggs in a paper bag trick too, but it was more,of a novelty - a way to win a bet with a tenderfoot.
      I used boilining water in a paper cup in a fire for that! 8)
      During my OA initiation They made us cook our breakfast using the boiling water and paper cup technique. Most of us had never seen it before and thought they were nuts when they handed the dixie cups out.
    • We did a coffee can caserole one camping trip i the Scouts. We put our burger meat, onions and carrots in and put foil over the tops as lids. One of the guys kind of wandered off while the meals cooked. He came back, and asked where his meal was ? Scoutmaster said it was up to him to keep an eye on his food so it wouldn't burn. About a second or two later, there was a khawump ! as the foil on his, which was in the fire and we had built it up for a sing along camp fire, his can went one way and the lid went another. His burger and vegetables were on fire and basically charcoaled. Some of us had extra food and he managed to cook his supper out of that.

He yelled at us. But the Scoutmaster pointed out it was his fault not ours. So we didn't lety him forget for about a month. Things would get quiet in the Scout hut, and one of us whoule go 'kha-whump' real quiet like. And he would get upset. I never told the other Scouts, who hadn't been there, what it was about. But his yelling clued them in as they pieced it together. We were told to stop, so we mostly did.

But it did look funny, that 2 pound coffee can sailing across the camp site. No brush in there, just sand and rocks, so no fire hazard.
      --
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I used to be a pro at foil meals when I was a scout but I seem to have completely lost that skill. Did the eggs in a paper bag trick too, but it was more,of a novelty - a way to win a bet with a tenderfoot.
      During my OA initiation They made us cook our breakfast using the boiling water and paper cup technique. Most of us had never seen it before and thought they were nuts when they handed the dixie cups out.

They didn't make us do that for the original initiation, but I know that the Vigil ones got to do that.

Its member, Brotherhood, and Vigil. The Vigil is the toughest to get.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

odd man out wrote:

They didn't make us do that for the original initiation, but I know that the Vigil ones got to do that.

When I made Vigil, when it was over the tradition was a steak and egg breakfast for new and past vigil members. The hard part was as Lodge Chief & Mateau on the ceramonial team was that I had to stay awake all day & run things.
    • chief wrote:

Never made past the first step. I lost all interest in OA and Scouting in general when I got a girlfriend.
      Well there's yer problem. :D

I knew many a fellow scout who failed to reach their full potential because they discovered they could spend their time getting lucky instead. :thumbup:
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

odd man out wrote:

When I made Vigil, when it was over the tradition was a steak and egg breakfast for new and past vigil members. The hard part was as Lodge Chief & Mateau on the ceramonial team was that I had to stay awake all day & run things.

I was a district dance team adult leader for a few years, this was after I made Brotherhood. I had Benjamin Hunt's book 'Indian Crafts and lore' and we used the info and illustrations to make various costumes. Mostly what I did was run the tap out ceremony during summer camp for the starting OA members. We were going to add some Indian Sign Language to it, but got overruled. The kids were all for it and so was I, but we weren't allowed to do so. One of the things that ticked me off and got me to drop out of Scouting.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

odd man out wrote:

They didn't make us do that for the original initiation, but I know that the Vigil ones got to do that.Its member, Brotherhood, and Vigil. The Vigil is the toughest to get.
      I was a district dance team adult leader for a few years, this was after I made Brotherhood. I had Benjamin Hunt's book 'Indian Crafts and lore' and we used the info and illustrations to make various costumes. Mostly what I did was run the tap out ceremony during summer camp for the starting OA members. We were going to add some Indian Sign Language to it, but got overruled. The kids were all for it and so was I, but we weren't allowed to do so. One of the things that ticked me off and got me to drop out of Scouting.
      My woodland eastern indian costume was from his book. Wish still had it.
    • chief wrote:

Never made past the first step. I lost all interest in OA and Scouting in general when I got a girlfriend.
      Scouting is cosplay for soldier wannabes. I should know. I wore the uniforms, trained, advanced through the ranks, and even fired a gun. OK, a BB gun.

Now I make IIDs - improvised incendiary devices.

The post was edited 2 times, last by WanderingStovie ().

• Mountain-Mike wrote:

chief wrote:

We always joked we lose the most when they go after the sents, either perfume or gasoline aroud 15.
      Cub scout den mother caught us looking at her husband's Playboys that her son had lifted and that was the end of scouting for me.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

chief wrote:

We always joked we lose the most when they go after the sents, either perfume or gasoline aroud 15.
      Cub scout den mother caught us looking at her husband's Playboys that her son had lifted and that was the end of scouting for me.
      oh the whorer :rolleyes:
    • I was a scout for six years, but was never interested in rank, merit badges, OotA, etc. I just like hiking and camping. But after 5 years the adult leaders concluded I was the only scout in the troop qualified to be SPL, but that required I be above my rank of second class. So one meeting they corned me and forced me to complete all the paperwork to get the necessary merit badges. I had done more than enough work. Just never filled out the forms.