Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Mammoth - It's What's for Dinner

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I didn't think I would like it untill I tried it. I would meet a friend sunday afternoons at a waterfront bar for cocktails. Sunday was pretty much change over day for rentals & slow for resstaraunts. Thats why we picked then. Onr year the owner hired Yosie, an award winiing sushie chef for the season. We were very often one of his few or only clients on these slow afteroons. We would have him make us something. We didn't know what to order so let him choose. We would sample a few varieties each time & e would tell us what we had afterwards. Only time he steered me wrong was several yaers later when he had his own place. Meeting a date for a quck bite befor a movie whe decided ln his place for a to go order. He came out front brcause he knew me & asked what we wanted. I said surprise us, & he asked what she liked. He then prepred our snack. He had a few California rolls that he knew I loved & a few things of what she liked. His surprise was mrinted baby octupie...
      Octopus can be incredible or terrible. Usually not anything in between those two.
      what qualities is it that differencieates the two?
      tenderness
      ah gotcha, now that you mention it, I likely have never had it prepared correctly cause iirc every time I've ever had Calimari, it's been rubbery and chewy...I just thought that's how it was, not sure I'd find a tender one appealing having been corrupted all these years :D Crazy ain't it.
      Squid needs to be soaked in milk for 24 hours first. The lactic acid makes the calamari tender.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I didn't think I would like it untill I tried it. I would meet a friend sunday afternoons at a waterfront bar for cocktails. Sunday was pretty much change over day for rentals & slow for resstaraunts. Thats why we picked then. Onr year the owner hired Yosie, an award winiing sushie chef for the season. We were very often one of his few or only clients on these slow afteroons. We would have him make us something. We didn't know what to order so let him choose. We would sample a few varieties each time & e would tell us what we had afterwards. Only time he steered me wrong was several yaers later when he had his own place. Meeting a date for a quck bite befor a movie whe decided ln his place for a to go order. He came out front brcause he knew me & asked what we wanted. I said surprise us, & he asked what she liked. He then prepred our snack. He had a few California rolls that he knew I loved & a few things of what she liked. His surprise was mrinted baby octupie...
      Octopus can be incredible or terrible. Usually not anything in between those two.
      what qualities is it that differencieates the two?
      tenderness
      ah gotcha, now that you mention it, I likely have never had it prepared correctly cause iirc every time I've ever had Calimari, it's been rubbery and chewy...I just thought that's how it was, not sure I'd find a tender one appealing having been corrupted all these years :D Crazy ain't it.
      Squid needs to be soaked in milk for 24 hours first. The lactic acid makes the calamari tender.
      Now that's a pro tip right there! :D
    • mental note wrote:

I have a friend that soaks his venison in buttermilk and garlic...he says it takes out the gaminess and makes it tender...hmm
      I've never understood why people would want to take the gaminess out of venison. The gaminess is why I eat venison.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I know some folks who do all sorts of things to take the gaminess out. Back in high school I had venison. My folks tried to tell me it was beef, they claimed i was a finecky eater... I'm not, I liked the venison. Its just that they would tell me something that was false, and then pretend they didn't. All I hadded to my venison 'steak' was a bit of butter, salt, and table black pepper. Delicious ! The guys I worked with on the coast added tobasco to their marinade they used. I didn't and dont see the point. I eat meat to taste the meat, not some cheap meat sauce.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

I have a friend that soaks his venison in buttermilk and garlic...he says it takes out the gaminess and makes it tender...hmm
      I've never understood why people would want to take the gaminess out of venison. The gaminess is why I eat venison.
      I've really tried to like venison, and but for some back straps (tenderloin) medallions in said marinade I just can't get on board, and is why I don't hunt deer anymore...but if I had to eat it in a survival situation...I know how I'd try and cook it barring being able to find said marinade and if I had my medicine bag with my preferd spices...chili. But I appreciate those who enjoy it, it's a great way to put protein on the table throughout the winter months.